Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Results,going from HD SYN3 to M1 syn oils to Spectro Hvy Dty std dino oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 11:47 AM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Results,going from HD SYN3 to M1 syn oils to Spectro Hvy Dty std dino oil

When i got my bike prior owner had HD SYN syn 20-50 in it that had just been freshly changed and when motor was up to normal op temp with Wards elec cooling fans and UltraCool oil cooler with dual elec cooling fans keeping the motor and oil significantly cooler the top end/lifters would still get a bit nosiey clicky/ticky sounding with only 11k miles on the motor which i didnt care for because a stock motor with mild stock non agressive perf cams with hyd roller lfuters should run quiet but doesnt. (Motor is factory stock)

Well i dumped HD's syn3 and tried mobil 1 20-50 syn for v-twins i used in prior bike and it quieted the valvetrain a bit when motor was hot but was still just a bit clicky ticky when hot.

So from having 4+ decades wrenching exp esp wrenching/building motors for 60's-70's classic muscle cars that when you use syn oil in those apps running hyd flat tappet or roller lifters like HD motor has they tended to get a bit noisy vs running a quality std dino of same visc that had the hyd flat tappet or hyd roller lifters running quieter even when motor was hot.

So i after a while running the M1 i decided to dump the m1 syn 20-50 for v-twins to try spectro's heavy duty std dino 20w-50 specifically formulated for HD's lrg air cooled v-twins and guess what!

Spectro's oil " stopped all the moderate though still somewhat annoying clicky ticky valvetrain/top end noise" the motor had with HD & M! syn oil of same 20-50 visc esp when motor & oil was running a bit hotter in temps of above 78-80 deg .

And another plus was that oil pressure with motor hot at idle was approx 3-5lbs higher and 6-8lbs higher at cruise with the std dino vs either of the syn oils too.

So since i have the motor & oil running cooler with Wards elec cooling fans and the UltraCool oil cooler with elec fans i am going to stick with spectro's high quality 20w-50 oil because the motor responded positively to it.

I may try spectros semi blend 20-50 for air cooler v-twins next time around i change the oil to see if that also keeps the valvetrain quiet because semi blend oil can provide a bit better protection at higher temp then std dino can though my motors oil temp doesnt seem to run hot (since installing fans & oil cooler) like consistantly at or above 250 deg that is an issue for std dino so shouldnt worry about it.

Pasted below a link & info to the spectro std dino oil for HD's i used if you want to try it & see if it stops valve train noise in your bike with hyd roller lifters.

BTW,just a reminder my bikes motor is bone stock and for non stock apps where hi perf cams & lifters are installed the perf cams generally have more aggressive lobe profiles that by design generate/cause a more noisy valvetrain even with hyd roller lifters so the std dino may not stop valvetrain noise in that app.

Scott

http://performanceoilstore.com/products.asp?cat=65&pg=3

Spectro Heavy Duty Engine Oil 20w50 1-qt
Spectro Heavy Duty Engine Oil 20w50 1-qt. Enter quantity of 12 for case discount. A superior motor lubricant designed specifically for use in American-made Harley® V-Twin engines. Crafted from superior petroleum stocks combined with the most advanced anti-wear, anti-carbon additive systems available, Spectro Heavy Duty extends component life, reduces wear, eliminates valve sticking. Meets all known OEM warranty requirements. Exceeds A.P.I. SF/SG – CD/CG - 4.
List Price: $8.66
Price: $6.65

Last edited by wscott; 05-26-2015 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:57 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Oh goody, another oil thread.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:03 PM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you need a louder exhaust!!!!

Old 05-26-2015, 01:17 PM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

here we go again...

Batman

Run what you like...

Old 05-26-2015, 01:20 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

I run Mobile 1, and since switching I get fewer colds.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:44 PM
wscott
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 96roadking
you need a louder exhaust!!!!
==============
LOL!!!!

I had a feeling i was going to get that!

Scott

Old 05-26-2015, 01:45 PM
wscott
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I run Mobile 1, and since switching I get fewer colds.
===========

AH,will have to keep that in mind!

Scott

Old 05-26-2015, 01:52 PM
wscott
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
Oh goody, another oil thread.
===========

Not really,if you bothered to read it this oil thread is not just a bunch of opinions with not much to back it up but this threads actually has a point and something positive to say because i actually tried/tested 3 dif oils in the my/same bike motor and got little dif results between the 2 syn oils and best result by a longshot with the std dino with respect to reducing & or stopping stock valve train noise.

I dont know about you but i have read here fairly often about guys having valve train noise issues which i had something something significant to post about because its been talked here a few times about std dino maybe stopping or reducing valve train noise and i ran a test that showed 2 widely used syn oils many HD guys use in my 09 twc 96" vs std dino oil with a great result to post here which i think could maybe help other guys experiencing the same valve train noise issue when running fairly quiet ex systems where you can actually hear top end engine noise.

So with that said if someones bike has a bit noisy stock valve train when running syn oil try spectro's std dino like i did that stopped all the valvetrain noise my bikes stock motor that had only 11k miles on it where hd's syn3 or m1's v-twin 20-50 syn oil made the valve train noisy & s[pectros std dino for HD's stopped all the noise and also inc hot idle & cruise oil pressure a bit too which is the point i was trying to pass along here & why it's not the avg oil thread you see here asking whats best oil to use etc ,well at least IMHO its not the avg oil thread but maybe not to you!/LOL!!!.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 05-26-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:12 PM
risuperglidecustomman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Use what ever oil floats your boat!

Old 05-26-2015, 02:18 PM
wscott
Road Warrior

GUYS YOU ARE TOTALLY MISSING THE POINT HERE,THIS IS NOT AN OIL THREAD ASKING WHATS BEST OIL TO RUN OR WHO'S GOT WHAT OPINION ON IT WITH NOTHING TO BACK IT UP.

My thread states the 1st hand results i got running 2 diff syn and then a std dino oil all being 20-50 visc vs the affect it had on valve train nose when motors hot in summer cond and how 1 type oil/std dino lystopped /cured any & all valvetrain noise on my bikes stock 96" motor had on a hot summer day vs HD's syn3 & m1 syn 20-50 bike oils that had the valve train making noise esp on a hot summer day along with the syn oil also having less oil pressure when hot with syn oil too.

And i am not saying the std dino is better overall then syn here either because i cant say that from type test i ran,but i what i can say for sure is the std dino stopped any/all the valve train noise my bikes motor had when running syn which is the point of my post,thats it.

And in my bikes case running ward elec cooling fans and Ultracool oil cooler with dual elec cooling fans resulting in much cooler oil temp the std dino doesn get even close to the 245-250 deg f or hotter range it starts to have issues with breaking down where syn oil is ok up thru 300deg f.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 05-26-2015 at 02:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Results,going from HD SYN3 to M1 syn oils to Spectro Hvy Dty std dino oil