Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any 6'2" and above guys with Electra Glides/Street Glides running a short windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 09:59 AM
kylebru1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

functional for who though? your functions may be different than mine, and mine may be different than the next guy?

I dont mind wind in my face, along with a lot of other people around here. the short windshields can still deflect a little wind of the body and help with other peoples needs.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:16 AM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

12" LRS Ultra on my old EGUC. Love it. I am able to see over it while riding but only have to get down just a bit to be behind it. It has saved me from getting smacked in the face a bunch of times by various critters and road debris. Even catch a June Bug in the face running 70mph on the highway? Guaranteed to bring tears to your eyes and have you working on your vocabulary skills to describe the sensation!

The LRS definitely changes the air flow until you get over about 65 then not a lot of difference to me.

I go for functional rather than "cool looking" these days. Hell I was looking at cool in the rear view years ago anyway LOL.

Edit: BTW I am 6'3"

Last edited by LiiT; 05-28-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:16 AM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kylebru1
functional for who though? your functions may be different than mine, and mine may be different than the next guy?

I dont mind wind in my face, along with a lot of other people around here. the short windshields can still deflect a little wind of the body and help with other peoples needs.

true dat! I'm above average height - riding position is a determining factor.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:05 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

I wanted to jump in here in case some needed some help with proper sizing of our, and most others' re-curve style shields. It's really tough to use ones height as the sizing factor. We are all different. Torso, legs, riding style, aftermarket seats, etc. Lots of variables. I am 6'2" as well and use an 8" shield, but others the same height could use a 10 or even a 6.
The top of the shield needs to be level with between the tip of your nose and mouth. Mustache level. This also equates to 2 inches below your line of site. For instance, if you are looking right at the top edge of your shield, you want that shield 2 inches shorter.
You can go shorter. I know some of you like that. It will not perform properly, but you will have a clean stream of air hitting you and not the swirly buffeting.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 05-28-2015, 11:14 AM
kylebru1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by longrideshields-1
I wanted to jump in here in case some needed some help with proper sizing of our, and most others' re-curve style shields. It's really tough to use ones height as the sizing factor. We are all different. Torso, legs, riding style, aftermarket seats, etc. Lots of variables. I am 6'2" as well and use an 8" shield, but others the same height could use a 10 or even a 6.
The top of the shield needs to be level with between the tip of your nose and mouth. Mustache level. This also equates to 2 inches below your line of site. For instance, if you are looking right at the top edge of your shield, you want that shield 2 inches shorter.
You can go shorter. I know some of you like that. It will not perform properly, but you will have a clean stream of air hitting you and not the swirly buffeting.
This is what I'm looking for! I just ordered your 6 inch Ultra 2 days ago. I know I will get wind in the face and am perfectly fine with that. I just dont want the swirling or the buffeting.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:26 AM
jjkrueg
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm 6'3" but tend to slouch. Tried a 7" Harley windsplitter, it was ok. Ordered a 7" LRS, night and day better than the same size windsplitter. I can see right over the top. Maybe could have went 8" but really love it. When we take long trips I would put the stock shield back on but I don't think I'll need to do that with this LRS.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:19 PM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your Fast Aire windshield cracked, Id like to know what model ( Aero or Basic) and how long you have had it.

You can post here or to me directly

Thanks

Originally Posted by Rock Chalk
6'3" i was using a fastaire, but it cracked. now i've got a windvest that i think has been perfect.

http://www.windvest.com/

Old 05-29-2015, 08:11 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

I'm 6'1" but have a very long trunk, would probably be 6'3" if my legs matched my torso...just went from the tallest Klock Werks flare windshield...I'm thinking it was 9.5"...to a OEM medium shield...6.5"...the protection is comparable.

I'm with those who have said that we can sit here and jaw all day about our own experiences...the only thing that matters is how our own situation stacks up, and there's a certain amount of risk associated with changing out components, whether shields, exhaust systems, what have you. Good luck with your quest, OP.