Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major motor problems ?? On a 14 SG

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 02:34 PM
fatrobbert
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always do my own service for this exact reason. Not to mention how much they charge to do things so simple...
Service manual and an oil filter wrench more than pay for themselves!

Always, always, always check the oil level before riding.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:37 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

new engine would be nice ,but i don't think they have to give it to you. friend of mine bought a new car and one week later the number one piston shattered in the engine. they fixed it at the dealership. same thing with me, i bought a new suburban and the engine started knocking after a couple thousand miles. they dropped the pan on the engine ans installed a crank kit, afterwards the lifters started making noise. i traded it off soon afterwards. it's bulls--t.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:17 PM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
new engine would be nice ,but i don't think they have to give it to you. friend of mine bought a new car and one week later the number one piston shattered in the engine. they fixed it at the dealership. same thing with me, i bought a new suburban and the engine started knocking after a couple thousand miles. they dropped the pan on the engine ans installed a crank kit, afterwards the lifters started making noise. i traded it off soon afterwards. it's bulls--t.
Depends on how you handled it. Guarantee they'd have to get that bullshit by a lawyer with me. No way I'm taking a reman for a brand new vehicle.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:47 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

1-Motor Company has a phone number, use it.

2-New engine, or the MoCo invites to watch your OEM engine rebuilt at engine plant.

3-You have a Lawyer on your side by now I hope, it was a new Bike.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:00 PM
ew25950
Road Master
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts

Subscribed to hopefully see that this works out for you OP.

I'm hoping they will take care of you with little to no hassle. You followed HD service schedule and a dealer did your service. Now your engine is toast, sounds like a slam dunk warranty case to me.

To all of you saying check your oil and tire pressure before each ride, come on man! Do you seriously do that every time? Sounds like internet bull$hit and not real world advice. How about in your cars, same thing and check it every time?

Old 05-28-2015, 09:58 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

Engines can be rebuilt. Just because the cases get split doesn't mean anything. It's pretty straightforward to do as long as you know what you're doing. It's really not a big deal. After all that's the way all engine start out. It does require some special tools though. But every HD shop has them.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:55 AM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ew25950
Subscribed to hopefully see that this works out for you OP.

I'm hoping they will take care of you with little to no hassle. You followed HD service schedule and a dealer did your service. Now your engine is toast, sounds like a slam dunk warranty case to me.

To all of you saying check your oil and tire pressure before each ride, come on man! Do you seriously do that every time? Sounds like internet bull$hit and not real world advice. How about in your cars, same thing and check it every time?

................always check the crankcase and observe oil pressure on starting. Suppose that raises another question - what was the oil pressure?

Old 05-29-2015, 11:04 AM
BigTwins
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with ew25950. I ride daily and have done my own service and repairs for 30 years. I don't check my oil and tire pressure daily on the scoot any more than I do on the cars. Get real. The 20 point check before each ride is a massive load of BS and the only people that actually do that are the twice a month garage queen rider "experts".

Old 05-29-2015, 11:45 AM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigTwins
I agree with ew25950. I ride daily and have done my own service and repairs for 30 years. I don't check my oil and tire pressure daily on the scoot any more than I do on the cars. Get real. The 20 point check before each ride is a massive load of BS and the only people that actually do that are the twice a month garage queen rider "experts".

,,,,,,,,,,,,,, experts probably don't have a burned out sled. ha!

Old 05-29-2015, 12:04 PM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by BigTwins
I agree I ride the bike to work almost everyday and only do a weekly check, BUT, if I was going a 1000 mile ride, I sure as hell would be checking the fluids adn several other items before I left.

Quick Reply: Major motor problems ?? On a 14 SG