Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wards fan for 2015 twin cooled engines

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 06:26 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 381 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Wards fan for 2015 twin cooled engines

Has anyone installed the fans on a 2015 twin cooled engine? Is it really needed if it is air/water cooled?

Old 05-28-2015, 06:30 AM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

Is it really needed ever? I live in the hottest state in the country, don't know anyone with a fan.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:41 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,340 Likes on 3,276 Posts

I have 90000 miles on my bike and NC isn't the coolest place on earth but I have lived without a cooler of any kind.....I have a big one on my Ram 1500....lol.

I know it doesn't hurt to have one on the bike but, it's been air cooled since 1903.....

Old 05-28-2015, 07:43 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by big papa AZ
Is it really needed ever? I live in the hottest state in the country, don't know anyone with a fan.
So I guess you are saying a fan is not needed. Do you ride in the city or up around Flagstaff?

Old 05-28-2015, 07:46 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Default Too old

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
I have 90000 miles on my bike and NC isn't the coolest place on earth but I have lived without a cooler of any kind.....I have a big one on my Ram 1500....lol.

I know it doesn't hurt to have one on the bike but, it's been air cooled since 1903.....
But you don't ride a 2015 twin cooled bike so you can't really answer the question. Thanks

Old 05-28-2015, 09:17 AM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 385 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by big papa AZ
Many of the things we do to our bikes to improve performance are not needed. The question was in regard to anyone seeing a cooling increase using Wards fans on a wet head bike, not a debate on the need for them. I for one would like to hear from anyone running them on a wet head and what their observations have been. I know I've seen a dramatic decrease in oil temperatures when riding in parades or stop and go city traffic with Wards fans on my 103.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:31 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

I dont like heat either, in fact I hate it. I added an oil temp gauge and my paranoia/obesssiveness has only gotten worse.

On the other hand, these bikes are tested in the desert, idling for hours in extreme heat.

I've never heard of one blowing up from overheating. I'm being sincere here, I really wonder if we fret needlessly about these things.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:50 AM
Pix
Road Master
Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

There is a difference from a bike idling in the desert, to sitting on that hot bike and the heat on our inner thighs.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:31 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandcrab
So I guess you are saying a fan is not needed. Do you ride in the city or up around Flagstaff?
=====================

Well i look at it this way,does an air coloed hd motor need cooling fans or it will lock up,no as was already stated.

1st off,i know this thread is more directed at new gen wet head hd vs wards cooling fan perf in that app , but the the responses thus far seem to be more in general towards air cooled hd's reffering back to 1903 to now etc that hd has been fine without additional cooling which i am commenting on though could be very well maybe be applied to the new gen wet head hd's too when testing is done,who knows.

But inj general can making a lrg HD v-twin motor run a bit cooler using Wards elec cooling fans possibly extending the motors srvc life because the oil & motor are running cooler,ABSOLUTELY!

I installed Wards cooling fans along with an UltraCooler oil cooler with dual elec cooling fans on it which collectively working together significantly reduced oil temp on my 09 flhtcu which will have a direct effect on the longjevity/srvc life of the motor.

Since i installed Wards elec cooling fans and UltraCool oil cooler with dual elec cooling fans the motor stopped detonating under load on hot days using hd's rec 91 octane fuel for the TWC-96" motor with 9.2 comp, the motor and oil being cooler also increased hot oil pressure @ idle approx 5-6lbs and increased hot oil pressure @ cruise approx 6-8lbs too

And on top of that the motor seems to be cooler overall reducing the heat hitting me on hotter days just a tad/enough to notice too which are 3 positive things that happened that were a direct result of installing Wards elec cooling fans along with Ultracool's oil cooler with dual elec fans at the same time to work collectively together as a team to reduce engine & oil temp .

For what these bikes cost the additional $ 575-600 i spent for the 2 coolers and approx 5-6hrs total i spent taking my time to properly install both cooling systems ensuring all wires and or hoses etc were properly placed and secured to not be an issue yrs/miles down the road someday was well worth it vs not doing that and spending that money on more chrome/bling and or gadgets that are not needed that dont increase efficiency or longjevity & or comfort on the bike .

Bottom line is no matter where you live having both the cooling systems i mentioned above on your HD that both have thermostatically controlled elec cooling fans that only come on as required for additional cooling can benefit our hd's motor and in some cases our comfort on the bike too,thats for sure.

And as far any wards elec cooling fans reducing temp a bit on a new gen wet head HD,i'd bet there would be some reduction in engine temp,just who much i dont know, maybe not as much temp reduction as you see with wards cooling fans on an air cooled hd motor.

Hopefully they will test the wards elec cooling fans on HD's new gen wet head motor / bike so we will know for sure.

Just my $.02 on it!/LOL!!!

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 05-28-2015 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:22 PM
b2000s81
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with WSCOTT. I had the Lanel fan on my 2012 street glide and now I will be reinstalling it on my 2015 street glide special plus a new oil cooler where the fan runs continuously and not only when the bike is in motion as the stock oil cooler does.

Quick Reply: Wards fan for 2015 twin cooled engines