Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red or Amber rear turn signals?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 09:15 PM
RushKing14
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running Custom Dynamics Ringz on the front with smoke lenses. Bright white running light, and switches to amber when turning. Very bright.

On the rear I have the HD run/brake/turn module along with the Custom Dynamics brake light, and red LED turns all with smoke lenses. There is no way in hell someone can't seem me from behind now, and when the turns are on it is very noticeable as well as when I hit the brakes. Bright as hell with a nice change between run and brake and signal.

I've actually noticed that cars follow further behind after installing this setup.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:53 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I put smoked lenses with amber bulbs in the front. I installed one and compared the amber lens to the smoke lens with amber bulb, the later is brighter. I put red lenses in the rear just because I think rear turn signals need to be red. The bike looks much better IMO without the amber lenses. I am now trying to convince myself to put out the bucks for a BAL taillight.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:14 PM
Rootro
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Red, brake lights must be red, rear turn signals can be amber. I like the red myself.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:17 PM
Rootro
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on whether or not your turn signals also act as brake lights, my SG turn lights are also my brake lights, so red is a must.

Last edited by Rootro; 05-29-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:12 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I've used the run/turn/brake module with red lenses since 2011. When I first made the switch, I noticed cars don't get as close to me at stop lights. They're not extra bright where it will burn out their retinas if they get to close, so I'm thinking all the red in the rear is just plain more visible than the single brake/tail light. I also noticed some comments above about "must" be this or that. Even if you don't use the run/turn/brake module, you can still use red lenses for the turn signals. Whoever thinks they can't needs to stop practicing law because they don't know what they're talking about.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:02 AM
Mr. Mike
Road Captain
Received 326 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Amber or Red?

I also have the turn/brake module and after seeing another bike with amber brake lights/ turn signals at night, the amber to me caught my eye more readily than red. As was said, a sea of red is what I don't want to be a part of, especially at night. Haven't had a run in with any local police regarding them with a red brake tail light, and until I do...they're stayin'.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:32 PM
hdultra103
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Harley LED turn signals installed on my 2010 Ultra Limited. They are quite bright and act as turn signals, running & brake lights. No load equalizer is required. I also installed a "Bright *** Light" taillight. They are expensive but with it's flashing modes you can see a brake light being applied from a 1/4 mile away.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:43 PM
ricktherocket
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
I also noticed some comments above about "must" be this or that. Even if you don't use the run/turn/brake module, you can still use red lenses for the turn signals. Whoever thinks they can't needs to stop practicing law because they don't know what they're talking about.

Agreed

Old 05-30-2015, 10:24 PM
last12know
Road Master

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

traditionalist myself....red rear and amber front..

new lenses i just got wednesday... subtle.. i like them and they don't diminish the light any...

Old 05-31-2015, 06:39 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

OK, those are great!

[FORK]
Have you seen the Bob Weir documentary on Netflix? Awesome.
[/FORK]

Originally Posted by last12know
traditionalist myself....red rear and amber front..

new lenses i just got wednesday... subtle.. i like them and they don't diminish the light any...

Quick Reply: Red or Amber rear turn signals?