Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short somewhere

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 10:00 AM
BiggestDawg
Advanced HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Short somewhere

I'm getting frustrated beyond belief. I have a short somewhere in the bike that keeps popping my headlamp fuse. I have searched and searched and found what I thought was the culprit and repaired it but I still have the fuse getting blown.

It doesn't happen right away I am usually about 2/3 of the way to work on a 38 mile drive when it blows and the same on the way home too. What's strange is that I have not changed the load on the circuit at all. It is the same as it has been for years and never had a problem until now.

I have changed lamps that were in need of it and verified the others. I have opened the fairing and examined the wiring there. I pulled the front wheel off and found what I thought was the issue on the wiring to the front fender marker and repaired it. I have examined the wiring under the seat and in the trunk and found nothing.

On my way in to work this morning the fuse blew again. So where else is there? I am missing something. Anyone have additional ideas where to look?

Old 06-04-2015, 10:24 AM
rmhd93
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my bike had a short i tore apart the fairing just to realize my new seat was rubbing on a wire i had rerouted from the touring pak so check the grounds under you seat.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:00 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

If it were my bike I'd be looking at the wiring diagrams to see what else is on that circuit. As mentioned above, it may be tail light wiring...

Old 06-04-2015, 11:13 AM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 334 Posts

I don't know what year or model we're talking about here (I'm on mobile site), but headlight, passing lamps, front running lights, rear running lights, are typically on the headlight circuit. You have wiring running to the hand controls, in the fairing, down the backbone under the tank, under the seat, under both fenders (guys have complained about rear tire rubbing through too), and to the tour pak, if you have one. You also need to look at the fuse. Is it blackened and the center look like it's splattered? If so that's a dead short. If it looks like it just kinda melted apart, that's an overload situation. If it happens after a certain time period, that indicates an overload. If you hit a bump and it pops, that's a short. I understand the frustration in finding electrical issues (I'm an electrician), just be persistent and diligent in your examination. Check where zip ties are around the wiring. Sometimes they're too tight and can cause a wire to chafe through. Good luck. Hope you find it.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:22 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Buelligan666
You also need to look at the fuse. Is it blackened and the center look like it's splattered? If so that's a dead short. If it looks like it just kinda melted apart, that's an overload situation. If it happens after a certain time period, that indicates an overload. If you hit a bump and it pops, that's a short.

this is great advice and will help you determine the fault

don;t rule out a problem in a bulb- a filament which can touch a second filament ( run/stop or hi/low) can overload teh circuit

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 06-04-2015 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:28 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,345 Likes on 3,279 Posts

Look closer at all the wires, you might have to open the main insulator wrap and look closer... sometimes it's hard to spot, look for discolorations of any kinds and like above said...FUSES...

Old 06-04-2015, 11:42 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,065 Likes on 614 Posts

I did not see specific mention of whether or not the OP checked the high beam switch wiring in the hand controls.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:56 AM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Short somewhere

On my Road King I had a chafed wire between the passing lamp and the bracket it mounts to. Sometimes that wire gets nicked when the passing lamp is adjusted. It's a tough one to spot because it's up inside there, I had to feed the wire out a little.

Last edited by Loc_Tite; 06-04-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:10 PM
ieatchickens
Road Warrior
Received 608 Likes on 309 Posts

An electrical thread. I get it now. I clicked expecting a discussion about a lost midget.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:24 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Corroded connectors can cause higher current draw. Check all connectors in the circuit. Clean them & add dielectric grease as prevention for such problems.

Quick Reply: Short somewhere