Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender USB charger adapter

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 09:55 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Battery Tender USB charger adapter

i just ordered one of these for keeping my iPhone charged while using the gps feature. Does anyone know if the battery tender motorcycle usb charger adapter drains battery if plugged in but not connected to a device?

Just wondering if I can do a more permanent type mount under the seat. But if it drains the battery, I will need to mount it somewhere convenient to get to so I can un plug it when parked in the garage.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:36 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,546 Likes on 727 Posts

Yes, it consumes power if wired (unswitched) directly to the vehicle's battery even if it's not connected to a device. It converts the vehicles 12-14 volts down to 5 volts to power or charge iPhones, GPS, etc, and that conversion process consumes energy whether it's being utilized or not. You're better off to wire it through a switched 12 volt source so it only energizes once the bike is running or the ignition is switched to the accessory mode.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:44 AM
58sniper
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ride my Seesaw
Yes, it consumes power if wired (unswitched) directly to the vehicle's battery even if it's not connected to a device. It converts the vehicles 12-14 volts down to 5 volts to power or charge iPhones, GPS, etc, and that conversion process consumes energy whether it's being utilized or not. You're better off to wire it through a switched 12 volt source so it only energizes once the bike is running or the ignition is switched to the accessory mode.
While I agree that it draws current event when nothing is connected to it, the decision to move charging to a switched circuit would depend on the requirements. I've had mine plugged into the battery tender cable with no accessory connected to it, and not seen a negative impact with the bike not running. Granted, I wouldn't leave it like that for a month, but....

The advantage to this is the ability to charge something while the bike is off, which is sometimes a need.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:46 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,073 Posts

I've been using this https://www.3brpowersports.com/products.php as a USB power port for my Garmin and to charge my iPhone. It's the TAPP-HD and it's panel mountable. Nice feature is it's waterproof and plugs directly to the acc plug under the seat.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:10 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I have one, and leave it connected all day long. Gas stops, food stops, etc. Disconnect it when stopping for the night.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:56 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 434 Likes on 246 Posts

I have one, and only plug it in when actually using it.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:40 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

I unplug mine when I park for the night, and plug the battery tender in it's place when I charge the bike. The Deltran USB is 2 amp - great for smartphone/tablet charging, but very small pull when not in use. When not in use, it probably pulls less than the security system on our bikes. It is not really a big deal...

Old 06-18-2015, 01:18 PM
WICK
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one connected to an extension cable so I can leave it in the saddle bag.
Its been connected for 4-5 months.
Disclaimer, I ride every day so keeping the battery charged is a non issue for me

Old 08-14-2016, 06:25 AM
SoftailManiac
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys. I am new to this sort of stuff. Never had any need to use something like this but just started dating a very nice girl that is completely lost without her phone. so I ordered one of these Battery Tender USB chargers for my bike. I know its plug and go, but I have a few questions that were not addressed in this thread. First, can her phone be turned on while charging? I watched a youtube video and at the bottom there are always comments to the video. One guy said if the phone is on, it can make the phone overheat. Anyone ever have that happen? Second, I am thinking about buying a Kyryakin Roadthunder Sound Bar for the bike. If this charges my cell phone can i use my cell to listen to music when riding if its plugged into this USB charger? I guess the question is: the sound bar is direct wired to the bike, will i have any problems running the sound Bar and my phone at the same time. Last thing i need is a dead battery. Thanks for any input on this, as i said, I never had any use for this sort of thing and would appreciate and help. Thanks. Ride safe guys!!

Old 08-14-2016, 08:11 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

I have a charger for my phone that I use all the time as I ride, using my phone as I choose.
I also use the Deltran Charger for my passenger, convenient to plug in for my passenger to use as we ride. It is a 2 amp charger, ideal for charging smart phones while in use. A 1 amp charger will not get the job done with the phone in use. I keep the Deltran/USB charger and a usb cable rolled up in my bag to use as needed. For something more permanent, there are other options, but for my use, this is ideal.
She can use and charge the phone with the Deltran with confidence.

Quick Reply: Battery Tender USB charger adapter