Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New RGS...Concerned about a noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 07:55 AM
Harley Convert
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New RGS...Concerned about a noise

So I've put 1K miles on my RGS since I bought it 3 weeks ago. Just got it back from the dealer who performed the 1k mile service. I mentioned to them that I hear a really bad ticking noise as the bike warms up after a cold start.

The ticking doesn't happen right away. When I hit the start button, the engine sounds great. No abnormal noises. After about 2 minutes, I can hear the beginning of a small tick coming from the rear cylinder that gets progressively louder and about 30 seconds later it's pretty loud. Then after the engine gets to normal operating temperature the ticking disappears.

The dealer acknowledges hearing the noise and claims it's just the lifters taking time to pump up with oil. I don't buy that since it doesn't happen right away after I start it. Then they said it's just the engine breaking in and I'm going to hear some noises. They head mechanic at the dealer listened to it also and said that if the bike had an oil delivery problem then I would hear other noises by the cam chest as well.

The ticking doesn't seem to affect the way the bike runs but I'm concerned about it non the less. This is my first new Harley and I'm not sure if these motors make crazy noises as they break in.

Thanks for taking the time to read my rant.

Last edited by Harley Convert; 06-18-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:13 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

your warranty runs the next 23 months- make sure that when you have concerns, they are documented on the service order...so there is a paper trail should this be "something".

Just keep on riding see what happens as the parts wear into each other.

any problems will be HD's into May 2017

mike

Old 06-18-2015, 09:01 AM
Road Captain

No no no...

I got my 2015 RGS, had it for a week, and brought it in for some upgrades with 180 miles on it.

Long story short: While opening up my motor to install a Stage III upgrade the mechanic noticed excessive wear to the valve springs that should have NO WEAR on them. I saw the "wear" and would not even have known that it was a problem ! It was like scaring or chamfering on the top of the spring/rod cap. Very minor to me, VERY MAJOR TO HIM !

Eventually it was decided that my engine was oil starved, likely from sitting so long after manufacturing, and cold starts with total oil depletion, and maybe plugged/faulty oil flow too. There was also some other signs of oil-starve (some run-out on fly wheel? or whatever that is)

Either way, the dealer/tech went to bat for me, and Harley sent out a brand new crate motor to replace this oil-starved motor.

**That does NOT happen unless the MoCo is aware of a pattern of this.. or something...

I am lucky, but I really wonder about guys JUST LIKE YOU who may have the same problem but will never know until the problem gets worse and worse.

I know this sounds crazy, but if you can swing it... get into a trusted shop, have them take a look.. They have to really know what to look for. But, trust me, mine is in the shop as I type this for "catastrophic failure from oil starvation..." sounds like yours may have a similar oil issue... Mine had 180 miles on it... I bought it with 5 miles on the clock.

Maybe get the stage III while you're at it ?

Good luck you. You can PM me if you want, and maybe your tech and mine can talk if needed. Apparently mine had to really push to get the new motor, so he obviously knows what words to use.

Onward !

Old 06-18-2015, 09:53 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,246 Likes on 810 Posts

Might want to feel around to see if you detect an exhaust leak. Probably at the head/pipe joint.

I've heard them come on as things start to warm up and expand unevenly, then go away again once everything is warmed up and uniformly expanded.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:14 AM
Harley Convert
Cruiser

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Might want to feel around to see if you detect an exhaust leak. Probably at the head/pipe joint.

I've heard them come on as things start to warm up and expand unevenly, then go away again once everything is warmed up and uniformly expanded.
Yeah, I'll check that. I've used a mechanics stethoscope (long screwdriver to my ear) and I heard the normal whuring and didn't hear anything that jumped out at me. If it were an oil starvation issue, wouldn't it show signs of that right at start up? Not wait a minute or two before it shows sign of no oil? I'll keep an ear out and see if it gets louder and/or more consistent.

Last edited by Harley Convert; 06-18-2015 at 10:18 AM.