Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pingel Greaseable Shifter Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 04:33 PM
TeeStu
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Pingel Greaseable Shifter Shaft

Not finding a lot about the Greaseable Shaft in the Primary/Transmission section or searching. Couple questions for those that have it. Does it smooth up the shifter ? Any problem with grease leaking out the end of the shaft housing ? Is Pingel the only Manuf. of the shaft ?

Old 06-22-2015, 05:51 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

II had one on my 07 RG, I put an o ring on both ends to keep the grease from dripping out if I put too much or if it gets real hot and it wants to ooze. Yes it makes a difference. but it is pricey at about $50

Old 06-22-2015, 06:28 PM
IGG
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does it fix the problem with the shaft like others have had? Would be worth replacing if if prevents the problem others have had. Don't need to be stranded with a shifter that doesn't work becaused the teeth are stripped on the shaft. I'm guessing it's made out of a better metal.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:54 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I would say either shaft is stronger than the arms because the arms are aluminum. I made sure the arms were tight and used locktite and never had an issue until this moron Indy I used hosed it all up and I had to buy all new arms that were about $150. Just check the splines on the arms are still sharp and not rounded, if they've been overtighteded a lot the threaded holes are probably been pulled so there's no way to keep them tight other than replacing them or drill and tap to the next biggest size it that will fit at all.

The following users liked this post:
whocares (12-03-2016)
Old 06-22-2015, 07:27 PM
IGG
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if it's something I can take care of before I'm in BFI I'll do it. I can "MacGyver" but just as soon take care of the problem before it happens. I know anything can happen at anygiven time but this seems to be an issue. I plan on changing out to hem joints on the shifter rod . Might as well doing it all at once.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:07 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I coat mine with anti seize every couple of years, and never had a problem.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:21 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Shifter Shaft

After reading about the Pingel shifter shaft, I took mine apart and greased the shaft with some Teflon grease that is good to 800°.
I took it for a ride today and I can say that, without a doubt, it is a lot easier to find neutral.
Probably going to take it apart once more and grease it and add o-rings. If that isn't the answer, I'll order the Pingel shaft. Thanks to whoever brought this idea up.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:39 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 334 Posts

Several threads about adding a zerk fitting to the support tube. Very inexpensive.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ter-shaft.html

Old 06-23-2015, 12:01 AM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

is it a PITA to covert to the Pingel?

Old 06-23-2015, 06:50 AM
paid4c4
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I can tell you that greasing the shaft and adding Helms fittings on the shift rod makes for a more sure shift which is smoother. IMHO. I used the zerk fitting for 60 cents as linked above. The grease stays in the shift shaft space and doesn't leak out if you add washers at both end of the shaft.
Bill

Attached Thumbnails Pingel Greaseable Shifter Shaft-img_0149.jpg  

Quick Reply: Pingel Greaseable Shifter Shaft