Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with power vision tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 11:20 AM
jrdfatboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with power vision tune

morning men, my neighbor bought a 2005 Ultra with the 88inch motor. The bike has a power vision tuner with it,the problem is it only has a power tune loaded on it so he is getting 31-33 mpg. He would be happy if he could get closer to 40mpg if possible. the only changes from stock that I can see is a S&S hypercharger breather and slip on mufflers. I emailed Dynojet and they said to drop the fuel in the quick tune setting to -5 in the fuel cell. He gained a little mpg to about 35 riding solo. Roy at Dynojet said they realy don't have a milage tune. I bought mine from Fuel Moto and they had a good tune loaded for my RG but they won't give out maps unless you buy it from them which i understand. So just wondering if anybody out there has an idea about a milage tune for this bike without jacking the motor up. And if Jaime from FM reads this and is feeling generous that would be awesome. Never too proud to beg.lol Thanks guys, Jim

Old 06-23-2015, 11:28 AM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Approach this from a different angle. Give Dynojet the particulars, and ask them to send you a map for the specific set up of that bike (if you haven't done that already). Then run a few auto tunes. That's the beauty of the PV.....you can allow it to fine tune itself, and it's pretty darn good. If the map you have came from Dynojet set up to to be as close to the specifics of that bike, then all you have left to do is run auto tunes.

No need to beg with the PV on the bike.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:04 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Load the factory tune, and do a few autotune runs.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:23 PM
airfuel
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shooter5074
Load the factory tune, and do a few autotune runs.
2005 Touring bikes are completely open loop. (no O2 sensors) so no autotune.

He can keep taking fuel out but he risks going too far.
Only take fuel out in the low and mid range.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:26 PM
ndnguyd
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Auto tune it......

Old 06-23-2015, 12:29 PM
jrdfatboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I told Dynojet what changes i coud see, breather and mufflers, not really sure if previous owner did cams and such but they said they don't have milage tunes. forgive my ignorence about the power vision but to auto tune it do you just go into the auto tune mode and ride for a while like it will normally be riden and it will adjust the tune accordingly? About how long should you ride it 20Mi or more?

Old 06-23-2015, 12:33 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by airfuel
2005 Touring bikes are completely open loop. (no O2 sensors) so no autotune.

He can keep taking fuel out but he risks going too far.
Only take fuel out in the low and mid range.
I thought he could still run basic autotune. It's a PV-1..... 2002 to 2013 touring.

So, he can just load the factory tune, and start from there. He said it has a "power" tune. That usually means someone lazy just dumped fuel into it. Put the factory tune back in, and see what happens to the mileage.

Last edited by shooter5074; 06-23-2015 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:27 PM
airfuel
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Come on folks, think!

How can you auto tune with no O2 sensors? What will the bike see? how will it adjust? 2005 bikes have no O2 sensors.
From the FAQ' on the powervision site:

What is the difference between AutoTune Basic and Pro?

AutoTune Basic: (Only works on bikes with factory O2 sensors) Uses the bike’s stock narrowband o2 sensors Works well as long as the base tune is fairly close to the bike setup Works well for completely stock or lightly modified bikes No need to drill holes and weld o2 bungs in head pipes AutoTune Pro: Uses Dynojet’s AT module and two wideband o2 sensors Works well with any base tune Works well for highly modified bikes Need to have two 18mm Dynojet o2 sensors in the exhaust

- See more at: http://www.dynojet.com/PowerVision/p...n-faqs.aspx#2a

Last edited by airfuel; 06-23-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:34 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jrdfatboy
morning men, my neighbor bought a 2005 Ultra with the 88inch motor. The bike has a power vision tuner with it,the problem is it only has a power tune loaded on it so he is getting 31-33 mpg. He would be happy if he could get closer to 40mpg if possible. the only changes from stock that I can see is a S&S hypercharger breather and slip on mufflers. I emailed Dynojet and they said to drop the fuel in the quick tune setting to -5 in the fuel cell. He gained a little mpg to about 35 riding solo. Roy at Dynojet said they realy don't have a milage tune. I bought mine from Fuel Moto and they had a good tune loaded for my RG but they won't give out maps unless you buy it from them which i understand. So just wondering if anybody out there has an idea about a milage tune for this bike without jacking the motor up. And if Jaime from FM reads this and is feeling generous that would be awesome. Never too proud to beg.lol Thanks guys, Jim
If you want to improve fuel economy you need to lean out the cruise range.
Start with the DynoJet tune and start dropping the AFR's in the cruise range only. Increments of .2-.3 should be OK to start with.

Assuming the VE's are not too far off you should be able to incrementally change the AFR's and test mileage. It's going to be trial and error and will probably take some time, but without O2 sensors it's your only option.

If it gets too lean, it will start missing.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:48 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by nhrider1
If you want to improve fuel economy you need to lean out the cruise range.
Start with the DynoJet tune and start dropping the AFR's in the cruise range only. Increments of .2-.3 should be OK to start with.

Assuming the VE's are not too far off you should be able to incrementally change the AFR's and test mileage. It's going to be trial and error and will probably take some time, but without O2 sensors it's your only option.

If it gets too lean, it will start missing.
Dropping? that will richen it up. higher the AFR, the leaner it is.

Quick Reply: Help with power vision tune