Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking Limited in Toy Hauler

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 06:52 PM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

Just got back last week from 2500 mile trip. I have a 2005 GMC dually i ton with a 11.5 ft lance camper and a 6x12 ft enclosed trailer for the limited. I had to build an extension hitch but the trailer was perfect for the bike plus I took an aluminum truckbed tool box and mounted it to the inside front of the trailer, it was perfect for all of our riding gear(coats, leathers and helmets).
Went from the Phoenix area to Junction City Oregon rode to the coast then worked our way back down to the San Francisco Bay area and spent a week riding around there. The bike always had a garage to be parked in.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:19 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

We're out camping now, the only time I think about putting the bike in the 12' garage is when we go from one camping area to another. Too much work if we're just out running around in the truck.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:40 PM
big-e976
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good looking Keystone Raptor hd rolling.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:50 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by big-e976
Good looking Keystone Raptor hd rolling.
Thanks, and with two young kids taking off on a road trip on the bike with the wife isn't always an option. This way we can go on vacation and I can still have the bike.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:52 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,167 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Toyhaulers rock.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:21 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowhunter61
I've put 1000's of miles on the my toy hauler with the Ultra in the back and the key fob in the tour pack. As long as the key fob is near it you can move the bike all you want without the alarm going off.
Think about this, I do this all the time in garage on the jack without the alarm going off so not sure whey they are saying this is an issue.

Couple recommendations
1) good wheel chock as someone mentioned
2) Tie down at the front forks where the fender connects to the D rings in the floor
3) make sure you tie down the rear wheel

The back of the toy haulers bounce around ALOT
Here is explanation regarding security system.
if you have an audible alarm/siren - the siren is disabled with FOB present - this is true. The motion sensor is not (until ignition is turned on)
With ignition off, every time the bike moves, the HFSM will "poll" (look for) the FOB - if it finds the FOB, lights won't flash, etc (without FOB, the lights will flash).
The issue is not whether or not the alarm sounds or the lights flash. the issue is the constant polling for the FOB will draw on the bikes battery and eventually, given enough time, the battery voltage will drop enough the bike cannot be started.
The Owner's manual explains how to put the bike in transport mode - which maintains the security preventing the ability to start the bike without a fob, but disables the motion sensor so the bike won't poll for a fob with every movement. This will allow you to not have to keep the FOB near the bike (not very secure if the FOB is near the bike allowing someone to start the bike.

When you are in your garage moving the bike around, unbeknownst to you, the HFSM is polling for the FOB every time you move the bike.

Last edited by Weavr99FLHT; 06-25-2015 at 06:27 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:02 PM
Kseeley
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts

Love your setups. I am going to get my toy hauler as soon as the bike is paid off. I was looking at the Lance 2612.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:47 PM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Weavr99FLHT
Here is explanation regarding security system.

The issue is not whether or not the alarm sounds or the lights flash. the issue is the constant polling for the FOB will draw on the bikes battery and eventually, given enough time, the battery voltage will drop enough the bike cannot be started.
Thanks, that makes sense as to why after "enough time" it would eventually drain the battery. But I am guessing that time is more than several days. Had the bike in the toy hauler for at least 3 days straight with no issues. Who knows maybe I was just lucky.

Attached Thumbnails Taking Limited in Toy Hauler-100_3190.jpg   Taking Limited in Toy Hauler-100_3517.jpg   Taking Limited in Toy Hauler-100_4065.jpg  
Old 06-26-2015, 03:59 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowhunter61
Thanks, that makes sense as to why after "enough time" it would eventually drain the battery. But I am guessing that time is more than several days. Had the bike in the toy hauler for at least 3 days straight with no issues. Who knows maybe I was just lucky.
I've heard of guys hauling from the Northeast to Florida for bike-week and arrived with a dead battery. Maybe they were just unlucky. If the hauler has 110v power when in transport, could always plug a tender in while towing.....

Old 06-27-2015, 10:45 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

I've learned my lesson about have week batteries, whenever the Toy Hauler has A/C at nights, rest areas, power both my Electra Glide Limited and my Kawasaki KLR650 are plugged into twinkle chargers.

Quick Reply: Taking Limited in Toy Hauler