Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why all the posts of suspension upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 07:09 AM
Impala_ss
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the least expensive Progressive's. They are leaps and bounds above the POS stock air shocks and didn't break the bank. Using proper braking techniques on my Street Glide I would still get ABS kicking in on crappy WI roads. The new shocks smoothed out the rear causing the rear to hop less and engage ABS. Better on my back too. Well worth the $250...

Old 06-28-2015, 07:23 AM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

The best you know, is the best you've ridden. Some of us know the HD suspensions can be improved either by adjustment or by the addition of different parts.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:37 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by mikelikesbikes
Am I missing something
well I guess if you have never had Filet Mignon you'd be happy with hamburgers.

HD suspension sucks, it has sucked for years, it is cheap and keeps the price of the bike down.
it is not only Harley that does this, unless you are buying high end performance bikes, you are getting McDonald's quality suspension.

Ride a bike with factory suspension, then one with progressive shocks and fork components, set up with proper rebound, dampening, and sag and you will see my point.

My 13 bike is OK, the suspension parts have 7K on them, so they still function to some extent, but on my 03 I have Progressive shocks and the front forks have a Monotube kit with the springs set up for my weight and good oil, and when I get on that bike I can feel the difference. it does not wallow, it has a firmer feel to it and I can push it harder without feeling like the bike us going to go off the road.

JMHO, YMMV

Old 06-28-2015, 07:43 AM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Started riding from the dirt bike side at an early age, in the early 70's the suspension revolution began and I experienced it firsthand. My first bike was a Hodaka SuperRat and at the time it was considered state of the art with its 3-4 inches of suspension travel. My next bike was a Montesa 125 with forward mounted rear shocks that worked much better w/4-5 inches of travel. Then it was a Yamaha YZ with even better suspension, each year brought changes that made my lap times drop and the bike easier to control. When I got my first Harley way back when (a $3995 883) I went backwards in suspension technology to my SuperRat days. Didn't bother me at the time but the MOCO never moved forward much in suspension improvements until recently. Like most I just accepted the fact that it rode like a Harley and not much I could do to fix it. When I purchased a 10SG w/abs my biggest concern was how the ABS worked (as in didn't) when trying to stop in the asphalt washboard bumps in braking points that happen in this area. Knew enough about ABS that the issue was caused by the rear wheel not staying on the ground in the washboards due to the poor rear suspension so I upgraded to Ohlins which fixed the problem. As others have said its all about what you want in a bike, my perfect new Harley would be a SG with state of the art suspension on a bare bones platform.

Last edited by flhxkiller; 06-28-2015 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:07 AM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Originally Posted by flhxkiller
.......my perfect new Harley would be a SG with state of the art suspension on a bare bones platform.
You mean you want a Road King.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:14 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
Yeppers. As Nevada pointed out in another thread, its just a motorcycle. I expect it to act (and ride,) like a motorcycle and to me, it does.

I just ride guys, whether commuting or out in the country on a Sunday afternoon. I haven't seen 5,000 rpm even in a quick passing situation. Do you think I'd really appreciate all the available suspension upgrades available to me if I had the opportunity? Wasted time and money in my case I'm afraid.
Thanks for acknowledging that Stiggy. And while I'll defend the design (and all it's limitations), I do appreciate upgrades. And certainly replacement of worn out parts at least. I have Ohlins on my bike and a very specific change was noticed - smoother and more planted. Did I love the bike before? Yes. Do I love it even more now that I have thrown a bunch of changes at it to suit my specific needs? Hell yes! But in the end, you're right - it's a bike.

Originally Posted by jqb12
wow..............aren't you a tough guy. Get a life dude, and stay off the forum!
Dang. Well ok then. If you say I must.

Carry on Mike. I won't distract any further. Tell us more about your 100k mile shocks that are great. While you're at it, fill jqb12 in on your firearm prowess and other gems that you have deposited all over this forum.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:18 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by flhxkiller
Knew enough about ABS that the issue was caused by the rear wheel not staying on the ground in the washboards due to the poor rear suspension so I upgraded to Ohlins which fixed the problem..
Ever wonder what a bike would do if it had magnetic ride suspension like the high end cars? granted there is not enough room for the sensors and computers needed to read all the inputs required, but if you have ever seen the demo video of magnetic ride vs non magnetic ride on a C5 Corvette on a washboard road wander over to youtube and find it... keeps the wheels on the pavement.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:46 AM
HFS
Club Member
Received 305 Likes on 193 Posts
Default I'll throw in my .02

I'm on my 2009 FLHX. It has a little over 100,000 km on it. I have messed with almost everything on it.

It is a hobby / passion and it finds me compelled to pursue a quest for excellence.

Will it ever be perfect? No.

But beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Anyhow -- suspension; I started with the Harley Davidson lowering kit. Thought the little more lowered stance might be cool. That led to chrome lowers but I digress.
I kept it like this until 55,000 km where all the suspension talk got me thinking. So I contacted Howard and he gave me a great deal on some JRI shocks. He helped me through the process of setting them up. I really went "set and forget," which maybe I should tune them in a little better. They're the remote reservoir shocks JRI sells.
After that it was progressive monotubes. I was pleased to do the install myself and have had great luck with them.
At 96,000 km I was working on the motorcycle and I noticed oil on the ground below the right shock. Just sitting there she blew. Better here than on the road I suppose. I contacted Howard but he's no longer affiliated with JRI. So I contacted JRI directly and sent them off for the rebuild. About $250 USD later the shocks came home. I installed them and have another 5000 km on them.

I think to tell the difference I should put the old shocks back on -- I guess then to appreciate what I have. Ha ha.

Regardless if you want to ride a stock motorcycle, a CVO, a heavily modified street sleeper, or a full blown custom -- IMO your ok cause you're ridin.
Hell I have much respect for the scooter crowd as they are so badass they took acceleration out of their survival tools.

Ha ha. Happy Sunday. Working Sunday on straight time sux.

H

Old 06-28-2015, 08:49 AM
rubberheels
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Default rough ride

Because Harley Air Shocks SUCKS!

Old 06-28-2015, 09:25 AM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rwhisen
You mean you want a Road King.
Had a road king, the suspension sucked on that too. I like my batwing, bare bones for me is an oil temp/pressure/fuel/voltage gauges, cruise and a radio.

Quick Reply: Why all the posts of suspension upgrades?