Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide or...... Breakout?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 03:39 PM
Juan-The-Human
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greetings from SO-FLA,

I grew up riding motorcycles, and have ridden various HD Models, including the breakout. I have to say, now that i own a Street Glide, I could never picture riding anything else.

I feel the bike is perfect for all occasions, affording the rider the luxury of items such as a sound system, windscreen, and ample storage via saddlebags, whereas other bike wont hold a pair of sunglasses! Even though you mentioned you wont be doing much "touring", the bags have provided me so much convenience, even during minimal trips like storing a riding jacket when going to the movies with the wife, storing parts I just bought at the Stealer, and of course, basic essential tools and accessories for riding, etc...

In terms of the cruise control, I find it to be convenient, yet dangerous. I feel it allows a rider to feel a bit disconnected, and therefore, slightly distracted. I compare it to an automatic vs manual transmission in cars, you cant fall asleep driving a manual for sure!

In terms of color, Black and Chrome is the best two-tone paint job!!! However, i have seen some great looking bikes in the charcoal, especially if you start adding black gloss fork legs, and CNC black anodized accessories!

Either way, the breakout is a bad@$$ bike as well, and I applaud your purchase either way.

Ride Safe and Ride Often. Rubber Side Down. Over and Out.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:56 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
I disagree.

I went from an FLTRU to my FLHTK, I do not think one "felt" heavier than the other.

IMHO, it is a placebo affect.
I've owned two RKCs with a SG between. We will have to agree to disagree because I noticed the difference right away.

Beary

Old 06-29-2015, 07:22 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
I've owned two RKCs with a SG between. We will have to agree to disagree because I noticed the difference right away.

Beary
I agree with you. I went i went from an FLHT to an FLHR. It's a different ride.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:41 PM
TennesseeEG
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

street glide...best all round.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:17 AM
paulmj
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

So I took the SGS out for about an hour and a half last night. Loved it. It does everything the Breakout does plus a few extras. It felt very much like the Breakout at low speed (I guess the slightly higher centre of gravity gives a similar sensation to the Breakout's fat rear tyre and raked out forks) but felt great once underway. I didn't notice the fairing making the front feel heavy at all. I did notice a little wind chop around the helmet at over 70mph but not so much that I'd do anything about it. At least not initially.

So I've cancelled the Breakout and ordered the SGS in Charcoal Perl with V&H Dresser Duals and Oversize 450 slip-ons. The dealer even thinks he'll have it ready in time for my 40th in two weeks. I'm not convinced he'll get the parts out of V&H that quickly but you never know!

Thanks for all of your help and advice. Now to start scouring all of the threads on this forum! Any thoughts on initial 'must-dos' would be very well received!

Thanks.

Paul

Old 06-30-2015, 08:34 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

good choice! your first 'must do' is ride it - don't worry about changing it until you notice what you don't like. however people on this forum will have no problem spending your money, haha...

Old 06-30-2015, 08:40 AM
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by paulmj
So I took the SGS out for about an hour and a half last night. Loved it. It does everything the Breakout does plus a few extras. It felt very much like the Breakout at low speed (I guess the slightly higher centre of gravity gives a similar sensation to the Breakout's fat rear tyre and raked out forks) but felt great once underway. I didn't notice the fairing making the front feel heavy at all. I did notice a little wind chop around the helmet at over 70mph but not so much that I'd do anything about it. At least not initially.

So I've cancelled the Breakout and ordered the SGS in Charcoal Perl with V&H Dresser Duals and Oversize 450 slip-ons. The dealer even thinks he'll have it ready in time for my 40th in two weeks. I'm not convinced he'll get the parts out of V&H that quickly but you never know!

Thanks for all of your help and advice. Now to start scouring all of the threads on this forum! Any thoughts on initial 'must-dos' would be very well received!

Thanks.

Paul
Good for you ! The Street Glide Wins !

It is hard to make a choice because it feels like you are saying you do not like the other bike, but we know that it is not that simple. We understand liking/wanting more than one !

But, you made the right choice. You're gonna love that full size, big, touring bike.

I think doing pipes right away is a good idea, and the rest of the upgrades will just happen as you ride and daydream.

I suspect you will trick it out from "grips to tips" in no time. Most of us do..

Send a pic when you get it.
Happy 40th. Nice way to celebrate...

Old 06-30-2015, 11:20 AM
Juan-The-Human
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations! Very good choice!

Firstly, remove any and all reflectors, such as the ambers on the legs. I have attached my mod-list in case it helps you with any ideas!

2010 Street Glide FLHX
Stage 4 96 to 103 Internals
Rinehart 2-into-1 Exhaust
Performance Machine “Supergas” Intake
Performance Machine Contoured Chrome Billet Fairing Mirrors
ScreaminEagle Spark Plugs
ScreaminEagle Primary Compensator Kit
Progressive Suspension Front Monotubes
VMS Rear Lowering Kit
16 Piece LEDGlow Million Color Kit
Antenna Delete MOD
Kruzer Kaddy Chrome Cupholder
Color-Matched Painted Inner Fairing
Arlen Ness Chrome Beveled Ignition Switch Cover
Paul Yaffe 12" Chrome Monkey Bars
Magnum Shielding Sterling Chromite Brake/Clutch Lines
HD Chrome Inner Primary Housing
HD Sundowner Seat
HD Finned Headbolt Bridges
HD Chrome Voltage Regulator Cover
HD Chrome Cylinder Base Cover
HD Chrome Tappet Block Accent
HD Chrome Low-Profile License Plate Frame
HD Chrome Headlight Bezel
HD Chrome Fairing Windshield Accent Strip
HD Chrome Docking Hardware
HD Chrome Removable Sissy Bar (For the Wifey!!)
HD Chrome Willie G Gremlin Bell
HD Low-Profile Smoked Windshield
HD Willie G Skull Collection
HD Chrome Lower Legs
HD Chrome Control Housings, Master Cylinder, Levers, & Switch Caps
HD Chrome Radio Accent Panel
HD "Get A Grip" Grips
HD Chrome Brake Rotor Hardware & Banjo Bolt Kit
DS Black Billet Saddlebag Reflector Inserts
Saddleman Saddlebag Lid Organizers
DS Chrome Lower Belt Guard
DS Smoked Turn Signal Lenses
DS Rocker Box Bolt Covers
DS Chrome Bolt Cap Set
Pioneer MVH-560BT Head Unit
Alpine 6.5" Type-R Components
Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2
Custom Dynamics LED Turn Signals (Front & Rear)
Custom Dynamics Brake Light Module
Badlands Load Equalizer
10,000K HID Headlight Retrofit
Kuryakyn Chrome Throttle Body Bracket Cover
Kuryakyn Chrome Starter Cover
Kuryakyn Chrome Frog Neutral Switch Cover
Kuryakyn Chrome Lower Fairing Accent Panel
Kuryakyn Chrome Crossbrace Cover
Kuryakyn Chrome Fuel Fitting Cover

Old 07-01-2015, 09:21 AM
paulmj
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

So now the decision is made I'm trying to get ahead of the game with my reading. I've managed to read the infotainment user manual online but can't find the SGS overall user manual online. Does anyone know if it's available from anywhere legitimately?

I'll also be ordering a service manual. Anyone want to buy a brand new softail one?

Old 07-01-2015, 09:27 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,811 Posts

Quick Reply: Street Glide or...... Breakout?