Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too good to be true?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 10:25 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,348 Likes on 1,915 Posts

Just ask them if it has a clean title or if it's a Rebuilt title. Ask them to have the previous owner call you so you can get the bikes history.
Get the Vin # and call the Harley Tech line and ask which dealer the bike was sold from. Then call that dealer and see if they have maintenance records. Also ask if there are any open recalls on the bike.
God Luck

Old 06-29-2015, 10:26 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by jkloeker
No, it's a dealership called J&J Motors. Anyone ever heard of them? I'm wondering if they fix up wrecked/bought at auction bikes. They always seem to have higher mileage bikes at really good prices.
J&J Motors in Massillon Ohio? They're a Yamaha dealer. I bought my 2011 Electra Glide Classic there last July. It had 42k miles on it. I think they just buy auction bikes and flip them. Mine had a 103 derby cover. I asked the salesman if it was an actual 103. He didn't know. I looked the bike over, the price was right in my opinion. $13,500. They had me financed before I got there. I just signed loaded it on the trailer and out the door. I called the local Harley dealer, they ran the vin, told me where it was bought, and who had serviced it. It was a rental from New York state. I called the dealer that sold it. They hadn't put a 103 kit on it. I called the other 2 dealers that serviced it, they didn't put one on either. I figured, either the rental place would service a bunch of bikes at once, and accidentally put a 103 cover on it, or they put one on because it made guys want to take the bike with the bigger motor. It had a shorter windshield on it. I noticed after I got it home that the horn had been pushed back far enough to chip a couple fins on the rear jug. The crash bar was a little bent, and saddle bag guard was scratched a little. I did have to put a clutch in after the stage 1 upgrades. I chalked it up to inexperienced riders slipping the hell outta it. All in all it's been a solid bike. It looks nothing like the day I brought it home, and runs a ton cooler and stronger since the stage 1, and then cams over winter. If they had that bike you're looking at when I went up there, it would be in my garage right now. They did good by me. They had a ton of Harleys in their showroom. Mostly ultras.

The day we left J&J

Nowadays

Last edited by Buelligan666; 06-29-2015 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:29 PM
jkloeker
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Buelligan666
J&J Motors in Massillon Ohio? They're a Yamaha dealer. I bought my 2011 Electra Glide Classic there last July. It had 42k miles on it. I think they just but auction bikes. Mine had a 103 derby cover. I asked the salesman if it was an actual 103. He didn't know. I looked the bike over, the price was right in my opinion. $13,500. They had me financed before I got there. I just signed loaded it on the trailer and out the door. I called the local Harley dealer, they ran the vin, told me where it was bought, and who had serviced it. It was a rental from New York state. I called the dealer that sold it. They hadn't put a 103 kit on it. I called the other 2 dealers that serviced it, they didn't put one on either. I figured, either the rental place would service a bunch of bikes at once, and accidentally put a 103 cover on it, or they put one on because it made guys want to take the bike with the bigger motor. It had a shorter windshield on it. I noticed after I got it home that the horn had been pushed back far enough to chip a couple fins on the rear jug. The crash bar was a little bent, and sale bag guard was scratched a little. I did have to put a clutch in after the stage 1 upgrades. I chalked it up to inexperienced riders slipping the hell outta it. All in all it's been a solid bike. It looks nothing like the day I brought it home, and runs a ton cooler and stronger since the stage 1, and then cams over winter. If they had that bike you're looking at when I went up there, it would be in my garage right now. They did good by me. They had a ton of Harleys in their showroom. Mostly ultras.

The day we left J&J

Nowadays

That's the place!! Didn't know I could track the history with the VIN. I'll have to find the number and call in the VIN.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:33 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by jkloeker
That's the place!! Didn't know I could track the history with the VIN. I'll have to find the number and call in the VIN.
For the record, they've been selling used Harleys for years. My brother looked at a softail there in the early 90's.

Edit: I talked to the service department of the dealers. Some if close enough can pull up the service history. Mine was too far away, and could only tell me who sold it originally.

Last edited by Buelligan666; 06-29-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:53 PM
lhinaz71
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can check the VIN for stolen or salvage history. Of course, only works if an insurance claim was made and reported by the insurance company.

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud...check/vincheck

Old 06-30-2015, 02:53 AM
shimaze
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I looked at the bike too and does have a very nice look to it. Its blacked out forks and exhaust give it a very sinister & sporty look. I question it being a rental bike because of the forks and exhaust. I just don't think a rental company would do that. As for the 103 derby cover, it is possible that the previous owner just wanted all his buddies to think the had the coveted 103 motor?

As for is it a good deal? Certainly not a bad deal. I would be very learly of a rental bike, if it is fact a previous rental. I know if I rented a bike, I would drive it like a rental. It could simply be a trade in that someone traded for a Gold Wing? If it were a salvage bike, it's title would reflect that. These Road Glide Ultras seem to be all over the place as far as price. I called about one at a dealer that just went out the door for $18,500 with 35,000 miles. But none seem to go for less than $14,000. I am in the process of buying one for $15,800 with 8671 miles on the clock. It does have a $750 Day Maker and 3 years left on a transferable factory warranty. I just lost out on a really good deal that had $5k in options & chrome goodies that would have sold for $16k even. It had almost 7k miles.

Last edited by shimaze; 06-30-2015 at 02:56 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:03 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,348 Likes on 1,915 Posts

Originally Posted by Buelligan666
J&J I called the local Harley dealer, they ran the vin, told me where it was bought, and who had serviced it. It was a rental from New York state. I called the dealer that sold it. They hadn't put a 103 kit on it. I called the other 2 dealers that serviced it, they didn't put one on either. I figured, either the rental place would service a bunch of bikes at once, and accidentally put a 103 cover on it,

Nowadays

Nice looking bike. I'm sure you looked but does it have Compression Release on the heads?

Old 06-30-2015, 08:05 AM
jkloeker
Cruiser

Originally Posted by shimaze
I looked at the bike too and does have a very nice look to it. Its blacked out forks and exhaust give it a very sinister & sporty look. I question it being a rental bike because of the forks and exhaust. I just don't think a rental company would do that. As for the 103 derby cover, it is possible that the previous owner just wanted all his buddies to think the had the coveted 103 motor?

As for is it a good deal? Certainly not a bad deal. I would be very learly of a rental bike, if it is fact a previous rental. I know if I rented a bike, I would drive it like a rental. It could simply be a trade in that someone traded for a Gold Wing? If it were a salvage bike, it's title would reflect that. These Road Glide Ultras seem to be all over the place as far as price. I called about one at a dealer that just went out the door for $18,500 with 35,000 miles. But none seem to go for less than $14,000. I am in the process of buying one for $15,800 with 8671 miles on the clock. It does have a $750 Day Maker and 3 years left on a transferable factory warranty. I just lost out on a really good deal that had $5k in options & chrome goodies that would have sold for $16k even. It had almost 7k miles.
When I googled the VIN it shows as being part of a bankruptcy out of Wisconsin earlier this year.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:08 AM
jkloeker
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Vernal
Nice looking bike. I'm sure you looked but does it have Compression Release on the heads?
I'll be honest, I'm not sure how to tell exactly. Is that something I should be looking for? Here is a pic of the motor. I think the releases would be on the left side of the bike?

Old 06-30-2015, 08:22 AM
skypilot_one
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go there, run the engine. Check it for "excessive vibration", ride it and make your decision. Sounds like a great deal! And at 3K under BB you can throw that at it if you have to.

Rode a new 15' that shook so bad my hands went numb in five minutes. That baby was a lemon-A

Quick Reply: Too good to be true?