Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King input

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 12:15 PM
BCSG
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

On my 2nd RK....had two RG's in the middle. Was actually going to try out a Dyna the 5th time around, but went back to the RK. No buffeting for me or the wife, the locking hard bags are great as there is always items in there. It handles great in the parking lot and in the twisties. Versatility, windshield on or off, can add a fairing for tunes or more wind protection if desired. Great platform to customize.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:05 PM
xmen9c
Road Master
Received 241 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by sgc10
Moving from a dyna to a bagger. Got some good info on the glides. I would like some on the king. What's the concerns? Is there buffeting from the shield? Is adding a bathing worth it? I know it is higher so is lowering it a pain? Any handling concerns? I like the no radio option . That is the draw to the road king? Cool bike. Thank you in advance.
OK, I have had all these things done to my 13 RKC (has windshield, detachable fairing and its lowered when I want it to be).

No concerns from me with the way it handles under any conditions. Its a great bike. Bags for your stuff, long range comfort for you and a passenger and many ways to upgrade it as needed.

Windshield - Its great! Rides great with it and without it if that's your thing. After I bought my 2006 street glide no bike I will ever own will not have at least a windshield. Say what you want about riding being great without it. Its much less effort to hold on all day with a windshield or a fairing. Just helps cut down the fatigue of riding too much not to have it IMO.

Fairing - I have the Dead Center Cycles fairing with radio and speakers, color matched to my bike. I LOVE IT! I mostly use it now for longer jaunts for extended wind protection and of course the radio. I do use it occasionally around town but that's only when it colder or to listen to the radio.

Lowering - Mine is lowered when I want it to be by way of an Xotic Air suspension with 5" of total travel. When you're moving you don't notice how high the seat is and with it higher the bike maneuvers much better. However, if you are of a shorter stance getting feet flat on the ground does wonders for rider confidence and this can be done many ways but best bet is to change shocks if lowering is what you want/need.

Here's some pics of my sled, good luck and be sure to post pics of yours!

loaded up with fairing for MB bike week in May

Hard Bags and windshield

Leather Bags and windshield

Last edited by xmen9c; 07-01-2015 at 02:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-01-2015, 02:10 PM
Ibfuelish
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

If you're asking these questions, then the road king is the way to go. Flexibility is the key. The RK is capable in all aspects. With no upgrades, The '14 is sturdy, sticks to the road and if you accidentally lock up the front wheel without ABS, the bars stay straight ahead.

I put 10,000 on my 14 RK in the first year. I thought I would peruse the harley lineup again, thinking I should trade it in before its value drops too much...Decided NO WAY. I'm keeping this thing until the last rusted chrome bolt falls off it leaving it worthless. Then I'll go buy another.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:18 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I went the same route as many here. I went from a glide to a king and couldn't be happier.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:10 PM
CBud
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Regarding the windshield, there are two types of "lookers:" through or over...If you prefer to look over, then get a recurve. It will flip the air over your head. If I were going to travel across the USA I will probably buy a larger, vented windshield just for that trip. If I'm not riding on the highway for an extended period of time, I strip the windshield off.

I have performed many hours of mental gymnastics over whether to add an aftermarket fairing, and have finally decided, "No." I listen to my tunes in my FF helmet through my phone.

You can get the Progressive 944 shocks that lower the rear 1-inch without losing too much travel.

I love the touring bikes with solo seats....You'd think HD would offer them tricked out solo by now, but no, they make you pay for switching later.

They handle surprisingly well for a big, heavy bike. Love mine....I won't buy a new one unless I win the lotto or something major changes in my life.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:21 AM
94ruck
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

When I was ready to buy my first Harley, I went to Eagle Rider and rented a variety of them( along with more than a few victory bikes). I k new I was going to be primarily touring so I kept this in mind when i rode. The soft tail models looked great and I had always been a fan of the fat boy and liked the look of the heritage without the bags and the blingy seat. But what i found was i did not like the way the bike made me feel after a full day of riding. the balanced motors still give the bike a buzzy feeling and the hard mounting of the motor gave me feedback which became more noticeable the longer I rode. I then began solely looking at touring bikes and kept returning to the king because of the look, the ease of maintenance, the lack of fairing but yet the protection of the windshield. I am 6 foot tall so lowering wasnt important and the quality of the ride is better than the sg. More than 40000 touring miles on 2 road kings and I would buy a third over any of the other touring models. I have looked at the road glide for a while now but still like the simplicity of the king....No, it doesn't handle like a crotch rocket but we ride all over the country including the pig trail, tail of the dragon , 3 sisters and may others 2 up and loaded with gear with no worries in the world.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:01 PM
Florida Swamp Yankee
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceFace
A King without a shield.......nice open air in the face!! Now THAT'S riding!!
+1 on that!

Shields? We don't need no stinking shields!!!

This is motorcycle riding!

Old 07-03-2015, 08:35 PM
sel53
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I actually like the RK windshield a lot. It is the best mix of feeling the wind, but complete blockage from anything objectionable. I am 6'2" and look over the shield just fine, and no buffeting at all. Really ideal!

And then you can take it off and like the other guy says, it is like a real motorcycle.

Only thing on mine that was a must change was the seat. I rode older ones and the seat was fine, but the '10 fell good but was harsh. So I have an ultra seat on it and that was that.

Bike has very low CG and is easy to maneuver. Handles just fine. Put on Ohlins but it isn't necessary, just nice.

Have fun!

Old 07-03-2015, 09:21 PM
tonetls
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceFace
A King without a shield.......nice open air in the face!! Now THAT'S riding!!
AMEN Brotha!

BTW....Nice Scoot RaceFace!

Attached Thumbnails Road King input-p1010083-2-.jpg   Road King input-p1010077-2-.jpg  

Last edited by tonetls; 07-03-2015 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:34 PM
NECaveman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2014 RK with stock suspension rides and handles way better than 2009 SG with HD front fork double cartridge and HD adjustable rear shocks. Wind blast is no issue with stock front wind screen. I have not experienced any buffeting with the HD fork fangs.

Quick Reply: Road King input