Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary issues - need expert opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 11:54 AM
dlpuette
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Primary issues - need expert opinions

Have an 11 FLHTK that I bought used in 12 with 2500 on the clock (was a Harley corporate exec bike). I did the 5K and 10K service at the dealer while it was still under warranty. Asked them to use synthetic in all holes.

What I have had in it is a pinging/ticking (tinging?) coming from the primary (I think) when it's hot and under slight load. Sounds like a few BB's got loose in there. It's a random kind of noise, not rythmic like something rubbing. And again, only happens at speed when I'm slightly accelerating.

At first I thought it was engine ping but I've had it tuned and the sound is clearly coming from the left side of the bike. My ear radar points right to the primary. It's hard to really pinpoint since I'm underway and paying attention to the road.

Another clue in the mystery - I changed my fluids a few days ago at 18k miles, so this was the first primary one I did myself since the 10K check. What came out was grayish, not black oil. Says moisture contamination to me. Plus there was a gray paste with possible little metal bits on the magnetic plug.

I filled it with the 38 0z of Mobil One 20-50 V Twin. My thought is to run it a day or so and make sure it gets full up to temperature and drain it again to see what I see.

So my question to all the learned wrenches here is what do you think? Is this possibly a compensator issue? My starts are fine and I haven't noticed any of the common compensator failure clues.

Would love to hear from you guys on this!!

(I cross posted this in the primary/transmission forum as well)

Old 07-01-2015, 12:06 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Originally Posted by dlpuette

Another clue in the mystery - I changed my fluids a few days ago at 18k miles, so this was the first primary one I did myself since the 10K check. What came out was grayish, not black oil. Says moisture contamination to me. Plus there was a gray paste with possible little metal bits on the magnetic plug.
This is completely normal. It's the clutch material that changes the color and creates the gray paste. As long as you don't have any metal on the magnet you're ok.

Might want to get the bike hot, turn it off, put it in Neutral, and push it a little while listening. Listen for a growl or ticking at the front pulley area. Could be the trans output bearing.

Last edited by lp; 07-01-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:06 PM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

This has all the earmarks of Pinging!
It's a tuning issue.
Look it up.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:45 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

the primary holds about 45 oz of fluid.

on a drain and fill we usually see about 36~8 oz come out and get replaced.

the other 7 or 8 oz is in the clutch basket and soaked into the clutch disks.

the stuff in the basket can be spun out by starting the bike briefly and working the clutch- or zip tying the lever overnight.

the stuff in the disks is in there.

when you can to another type fluid it may not be compatible...and may cause uneven clutch action...it may grab...or slip or be just fine.

best to stick with one type of fluid ( I use what's in teh manual).

as for the original problem-you have to rule out pinging...pinging is more likely when hot.
up the octane of the fuel when testing.
stock plugs and wires ? ( yes/yes would be better)

what tuning if any?
what mods if any?

pinging is irregular- I liken to pebbles in a coffee can.

sounds can be hard to track down- they bounce off the fairing and lowers...can even be a loose washer somewhere.

pining is most likely under load, which is accelerating or pulling a hill

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 07-01-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:56 PM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by journeyman
This has all the earmarks of Pinging!
It's a tuning issue.
Look it up.
im going with that as well

Old 07-01-2015, 03:01 PM
dlpuette
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

I guess I ruled out engine pinging by my tuner. This sound was coming from the bike occasionally from shortly after I got it. Then I did my exhaust/intake mods and took it to Roeder Racing in Ohio for dyno tuning. They're really excellent tuners and did a great job. I have the maps printed out and it's in no way running lean! After the tune I still got this tinging sound with no change. And it for sure is coming from the left side of the bike.

Im guessing the dealer was using HD Syn oil in their changes. I've been a Mobil 1 fan forever and never had an issue with it in any bike or car. The plan is using it in all 3 holes each year from now on. Usually run about 7-8K miles/yr

Just don't know if I should pull the outer primary cover or not. Not 100% sure I'd really be able to identify the issue unless its pretty obvious.

Hate to bring it to the dealer for looking into it. Hit/miss with their troubleshooting skills and would cost a bunch for them to even just disassemble/reassemble. That said, I want to know what's happeniong and fix it!!

Old 07-01-2015, 03:03 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

I'm sure its just the (very commonly reported) valve train noise.

Relax and enjoy.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:13 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Just because it was tuned does not mean it isn't pinging.

But believe what you want.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:00 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by dlpuette
no way running lean!
lean mixture can be a cause of pinging- but it is not the only possible cause.

spark timing, carbon or other combustion chamber deposits or a sharp edge in the combustion chamber can cause pinging.

not saying that is your noise but don;t rule that out.

try laying a thick towel over the tank to dampen sound reflections from teh fairing...I once tracked down a tinkley to a floorboard mount bolt backing out and a washer tinkling

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 07-01-2015 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:41 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,162 Likes on 2,936 Posts

Making a bb noise, hot and under a load and randomly; I'm going with spark knock. Or commonly referred to as ping

Noises from engines, trans and drivelines are sometimes hard to pinpoint. The sound travels, especially with metal parts.

Personally, I would check with a mechanics stethoscope to help pinpoint the noise

Quick Reply: Primary issues - need expert opinions