Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of moving up from the Sporty

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 07:36 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by CRocks
JMHO, I wouldn't buy a used bike from an HD dealership. Too many posers got theirs for sale locally with very low miles + much cheaper than dealer prices. I'd also be lookin for something 09 or newer, monumental changes from that 02 to now.
The 88/5 speed is a good bike. And there won't be any 09s available in his price range.

Originally Posted by DeafUltra
Nice bike, but...

No, I would move on and shop around for a Garage Queen that's much cheaper.

Good Luck,

Thorey

Did you guys look at the price? $8,999.00. Where are you going to get a FLHT in nice shape for less than that? Let's see you post one that is a better deal.
And buying from a dealer gives you some recourse if there is a problem.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:41 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I dunno.... I am with Thorey on this. I scored my 2010 FLHR with 10K on the clock for just over 10 grand. They are out there. Search Tempest is your friend. I will never buy a bike from a dealer again. Harley anyway.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:14 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

First, having both a sporty and a touring bike, I ride the touring 95% of the time. Moving to the touring bike means you can go anywhere in North America on a minutes notice. The 02 is not a poor choice, but it is a balance of features and price. I went from a '97 to a '10. There is a lot of difference in the new frame, 6 gallon tank and six speed.

That said, if the stealer stands behind the bike and you get 50-60,000 miles it is a great deal. Great looking, but aren't they all.

You will find you can't throw it around like your sporty, but that you still give nothing up in handling, just carry the speed and cornering differently. My touring can be every bit as exciting to ride as the sporty, the big difference is that I can be thousands of miles from home and still say that.

When I test rode different Touring bikes, the '09 and newer frames impressed me enough that I held out another year til I could buy a new '10.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:53 PM
jackddg22
Road Captain

Received 233 Likes on 113 Posts

Another vote for don't sell the sporty, Glad I kept mine, when I bought my low rider. LOTS of fun driving around locally and the L/R for longer trips with the boss on back.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:54 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Is it moving up from a Mustang to a Town Car? You might miss that sporty. And there are times when it's really nice to have a sporty sharing the garage.

Or even a couple sporties and some other odds & ends. Just don't take everthing apart at the same time...

Old 07-02-2015, 08:41 PM
Ytcoinshooter
Club Member
Received 286 Likes on 132 Posts

If you have to sell the Sporty to swing the touring bike then I'd hold off until you can afford an '09 or later FLH. Save more $.
If you are going to keep the sporty and just have to have the tourer and can swing it without selling the XL, then it's a reasonable move IMHO.
See the tweaks to the 2009 and newer tourers really is worth the wait if it will be your only motorcycle.
I'm in the camp of having a garage mate. For me there are times it's just fun to shed 300lbs and go for a blast. There are places we go that we prefer the sporty because of congested parking like hitting an entertainment venue. It seems like I can park that XL anywhere and get in and out. Sometimes I just want to ride without the fuss of rolling out the Ultra. I like the Ultra for distance not to hop around town doing errands or stopping at a bar.
Lastly, have you test ridden any of the tourers? You should if you haven't, it's a whole different animal.
These are my garage mates.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:38 AM
mmats69
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Come on over to the touring side. We have cookies

Old 07-03-2015, 07:08 AM
bigsmos
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When they stole my fatboy I went to the touring and I really like it but I definitely miss the hopper so I am buying a deuce for running around. I would keep your sporty if you can do both. I would also listen to what everyone is saying and wait until you can get an 09 or newer.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:35 AM
captainbobbyt
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peedib89, you'll forget you had a sporty once you get used to and start cruising on a nice touring bike...don't know where you are, but here in Miami, free riders skill programs are offered by the local H-D dealer, drill team, Hog Chapter. You can learn stuff the average rider knows nothing of. Try watching a Police rodeo on You-Tube...just my opinion,
captainbobbyt

Old 07-03-2015, 01:05 PM
Mac10
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I traded in my Sportster 1200 low last year for a new Road King. The ride has definitely improved especially on longer trips. But the King is still stripped down enough to be a fairly nimble ride. I do miss the sportster and wish I would have afforded to keep pit. It was a fun bike and I rebuilt most of it. But having a back and neck injury, the move to the Kink has been great

Quick Reply: Thinking of moving up from the Sporty