Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble. Primary oil looks bad.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 12:09 PM
Muleears
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Trouble. Primary oil looks bad.

In doing all the fluids on my new-to-me bike, I got to the primary oil and this is what I found: The oil was dark gray and the magnetic plug had metal filings on it. Some quite large. Someone please tell me this is because the PO didn't change it frequently enough. I'm afraid that the cam tensioners are down to the metal and disintegrating. Would debris from the cam chain tensioners show up in the primary oil? If that's not it what else could it be? I'm terrified guys, I'm afraid I just spent 9 grand on a paperweight. First pic is the plug with the filings on it, second is the tub holding the drained primary oil. Hard to tell but its dark gray. The bike has 37,684 miles.

Attached Thumbnails Trouble. Primary oil looks bad.-plug.jpg   Trouble. Primary oil looks bad.-primary-oil.jpg  
Old 07-04-2015, 12:15 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

How many miles does the bike have on it and do you know when the last time the primary fluid was changed?

I would put new fluid in, ride it for a few hundred miles and change it again and see what it looks like. Hopefully its just because the previous owner didn't change the fluid often enough.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:17 PM
ultra_classic
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Muleears
In doing all the fluids on my new-to-me bike, I got to the primary oil and this is what I found: The oil was dark gray and the magnetic plug had metal filings on it. Some quite large. Someone please tell me this is because the PO didn't change it frequently enough. I'm afraid that the cam tensioners are down to the metal and disintegrating. Would debris from the cam chain tensioners show up in the primary oil? If that's not it what else could it be? I'm terrified guys, I'm afraid I just spent 9 grand on a paperweight. First pic is the plug with the filings on it, second is the tub holding the drained primary oil. Hard to tell but its dark gray. The bike has 37,684 miles.
not sure, but subscribed, mine was similar

Old 07-04-2015, 12:20 PM
Muleears
Advanced

Originally Posted by bdtaylor1979
How many miles does the bike have on it and do you know when the last time the primary fluid was changed?

I would put new fluid in, ride it for a few hundred miles and change it again and see what it looks like. Hopefully its just because the previous owner didn't change the fluid often enough.
I edited the OP to show the mileage of 37,XXX. I sure hope you are right. I'll refill and ride it some more. I don't know what oil was in it or when it was last changed. I asked the PO when I bought it when it was last serviced and he said about 6 mo. When I changed the motor oil it looked pretty dirty to me. I think his 6 mo. estimate was BS. Even then, I don't know if he changed the primary.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:22 PM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

I just finished changing mine and I can say that the oil itself looked similar. I just had what appeared to be dust on my magnet

Old 07-04-2015, 12:24 PM
Muleears
Advanced

Originally Posted by rufasim
I just finished changing mine and I can say that the oil itself looked similar. I just had what appeared to be dust on my magnet
Thanks rufasim, that makes me feel a little better but I had metal chips on the magnet. I'm just wondering where they came from.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:35 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

have you looked to see if the cam chain tensioner shoe is still there? In the mean time, check the video... Hydrolick cam chain adjusters may or may not be your be all, end all way to improve the issue of cam chain tensioning. You could go chain less and avoid the issue altogether.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:51 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

ummm, The primary contains your Comensator, Clutch Pak, Primary Chain,Tensioner and starter gears as well as the stator/rotor assrmbly. Acess to Cam assembly is on the other side. Greyish color in oil is not unusuall as well as a bit of grit on magnet. However I'd be opening it up to find out where those larger chips/chunks came from. AFTER you get a MANUAL

Old 07-04-2015, 12:54 PM
Muleears
Advanced

Originally Posted by splattttttt
have you looked to see if the cam chain tensioner shoe is still there? In the mean time, check the video... Hydrolick cam chain adjusters may or may not be your be all, end all way to improve the issue of cam chain tensioning. You could go chain less and avoid the issue altogether.
Wouldn't the cam tensioner debris show up in the motor oil? When I drained the motor oil it had no debris. I'll be the first to admit I am no expert on these, but that was my understanding of the danger. Or is it the primary chain tensioner? I thought the primary chain oil and motor oil were separate. As you can see, inside of these I don't fully understand. I really appreciate all the help.

I watched a video on checking the condition of the cam chain tensioners the other day, but I have not yet had a chance to do that.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:00 PM
Muleears
Advanced

Originally Posted by Smokey Stover
ummm, The primary contains your Comensator, Clutch Pak, Primary Chain,Tensioner and starter gears as well as the stator/rotor assrmbly. Acess to Cam assembly is on the other side. Greyish color in oil is not unusuall as well as a bit of grit on magnet. However I'd be opening it up to find out where those larger chips/chunks came from. AFTER you get a MANUAL

Smokey, I have a manual, that's how I got this far, but the manual (Clymer) makes no mention of the color of the oil. I knew the chips were an issue, that's why I came here. I don't trust myself, even with a manual to dive into the trans case. That will need to be done by someone with more skill than I. Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: Trouble. Primary oil looks bad.