Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 Electra glide standard new to me

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 10:47 PM
wolf28
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Electra glide standard new to me

Just picked up an 05 eg standard efi its new to me has 62,000 miles it has stage 2 kit injection programmer exhaust has receipts for alot of the stuff but is there anything I need to look at to make sure everything is in shape I'm new to harleys so any help will be awesome!!! Thanks

Old 07-05-2015, 10:53 PM
wolf28
Advanced
Old 07-05-2015, 11:10 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice ride. I like the tourpack. Wishing I had one right now. I recommend picking up both manuals and the parts breakdown catalog for referencing if you plan on working on it yourself. First thing to check if theirs no receipts is the timing chain tensioners. Pull the exhaust and the cam cover. their condition can be confirmed from there. I used "Cyco" tensioner shoes 30K ago.

BOB

Old 07-05-2015, 11:25 PM
wolf28
Advanced

Originally Posted by Turbo Turtle
Nice ride. I like the tourpack. Wishing I had one right now. I recommend picking up both manuals and the parts breakdown catalog for referencing if you plan on working on it yourself. First thing to check if theirs no receipts is the timing chain tensioners. Pull the exhaust and the cam cover. their condition can be confirmed from there. I used "Cyco" tensioner shoes 30K ago.

BOB
Thanks where would I get the manuals and parts catalogue from? I kinda checked eBay for some but didn't try that hard I guess cuz nothing was really jumping out and are the tensioners a huge pain? Or easy to check?

Old 07-06-2015, 06:02 AM
Insulatorman17
Intermediate

Checking tensioners isn't to bad I think you can even watch a video on YouTube. As for changing them if you are mechanically inclined it isn't to bad either.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:14 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,892 Likes on 2,549 Posts

Go to your local Harley dealership and buy the real manual, Clymer and such are junk and a waste of money.

Timing chain tensioners are your biggest worry, especially with that kind of mileage. Go through all the receipts, bike is in nice shape previous owner likely dealt with them many miles back. If not, you have your first project.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:11 AM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yups, the dealer for the manuals and parts catalog for 06' Electra. It shows a total breakdown of all the systems and identifies all part numbers for all parts. Their are on line manuals you can download. a link is in this forum somewhere. I'd rather have the paper manuals. Youtube vid
for detail on inspecting, and well servicing the tensioners. If your mechanically minded enough to do any and all ancillary systems on a car, this isn't too difficult. You will need an inner cam bearing puller, of which I put a thread out on another much smaller forum, and borrowed one. I also destroyed one tensioner going back together because I didn't have the ability to compress the inner tensioner upon re assembly. I had to buy one new OEM tensioner. Also of note, if you go through the top so to speak, you can get out of it for much less money. A replaced tensioner shoe, a new OEM part, new inner cam bearings, new hydrolic lifters, (a must with your millage) and new breather assemblies in the head, and a few gaskets. I think i got out for under $400.00 If you do the recommended upgrades, you will spend $750.-900.00 on parts alone. I rebutted the upgrade, not just for monetary reasons. The new hydrolic tensioner shoes also have a history of rapid wear, just not as bad as the sprung tensioners. Cyco tensioner shoes are made of high performance Polymide-Stanyl
It's all but unheard of but I made it 75K before replacing my tensioners. A couple of peeps here have replaced the stock tensioners more than once, but also got high millage before repalcement. My guess is riding style has a bit to do with the excessive wear. I also made a joke to the local indy about my having 50 miles left on the one shoe. He looked at it and quickly replied, "no you didn't". His following remark was that once they start wearing, it's rapid wear from there. Here is the link for the shoes. The installation tool is also not expensive, and if I could locate mine, could loan it to you. It might be more proficient to order one however. Lol
http://www.harleydavidsontensioner.com/
Best of, and post your results of your inspection here for us.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:51 AM
wolf28
Advanced

Thanks a lot guys watched a video on how to change them too looks pretty simple so hopefully in the next week or two I'll get a chance to look at em thanks again!!

Old 07-06-2015, 02:19 PM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 202 Posts

Had the exact same bike. Miss that color. A happy 90k. Above to what everyone said I replacement mains haft bearing and caching tensioner at around 70kand the stator, rotor and regulator a bit before that. As well as my front kotor mount. Other than that it was great!

Old 07-06-2015, 02:47 PM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

........... nice look'n ride. Some good advice here IMO.

Quick Reply: 05 Electra glide standard new to me