Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tingling in Hands after Switching to Taller Handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 01:09 AM
Krutch
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You changed bars but did you upgrade the vibration dampers? With the extra height/leverage you could might be feeling the effect of engine or road that wasn't noticeable with the OEM bars.
Or the bars are not you need for your body.
I know when my bars were changed from what my shoulder joints had been riding for twenty some years, I noticed the effects of the "new position" from what those joints were worn into. I went out a got a set just like my joints were worn into. Relieved the new symptoms but not the arthritis.
It could be what was previously mentioned nerve issues from the strange position.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:49 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Agreed about hands above the heart can contribute to the tingling.
And also the vibes...

Old 07-07-2015, 01:46 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used poly bushings when the bars were replaced and there’s no felt vibration or buzz in the bars at all. My hands feel fine while riding with no numbness or pain.

After considering everyone’s replies, I’m fairly certain the mild hand tingling I feel when I stop is the blood returning to my hands. That makes the most sense since it only lasts a short time. I think the bars may be too high for my body type and age (heart). I’ll roll them back for a possible short term fix, but will most likely swap them out for some 10” in the near future. The longer brake line & clutch cable are already in place, so it should be a fairly easy swap. I had originally wanted 10” bars, but went with the often offered advice to get higher than you think you need. That may apply to most of us, but not in my case I guess.

Thanks very much to everyone for your input in helping me figure this out.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:49 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

I honestly believe once you roll them back to a comfortable position with your elbows slightly bent you'll be pleased with your setup.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 07-07-2015, 02:25 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master

Originally Posted by SBates08
I honestly believe once you roll them back to a comfortable position with your elbows slightly bent you'll be pleased with your setup.

I'll definitely give that a try before swapping out the bars. The lower bar swap would be a last resort.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:41 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

1. Roll them back a little.
  2. You did increase the vibration when you used poly bushings. It may not feel buzzy but they are more rigid that the stock rubber bushings. They reduce bar movement but increase vibration.
  3. Simple question do you ever drive your car for a length of time with you hand at the top of the steering wheel. If so, it is probably above your heart. Do your hands tingle? If not, I would suspect your issue is not the height of the bars.
  4. Get some good vibration damping grips like PM's renthal grips.
  5. Loosen your grip going down the road. Gripping too tight will cause these exact symptoms as well.
  6. Wiggle your fingers while you ride.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:13 PM
SH_01FXDWG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same thing happen to me after I installed my apes. I rolled them back a little closer and that helped some. It was mostly my right hand. I realized I was gripping to hard. Try to relax your grip some. I'm pretty sure that will do the trick.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:38 AM
ZenGlide
Road Master

**Updating for anyone searching for similar issues.**

As suggested by many, I have rolled my bars back to give myself a more relaxed riding position and hopefully eliminate the tingling in my hands when I stop. I’m now sure the tingling was a result of the blood returning to my hands after riding around with my bars about shoulder height (above heart) and my arms almost completely straight. I rolled the bars back about 2” and pretty much as far as they would go before hitting my tank at full lock. I haven’t been on a long ride yet, but I can already tell my riding position is much more relaxed than before the rollback. I have a slight bend in my elbows and I feel like I’m not gripping the grips as tight. I’ll need take a longer ride to be sure the blood flow to my hands issue has been resolved, but I do know that my riding position and comfort level have improved.

Regarding my 12" LA Choppers FL Ape Hanger TBW bars. The bars are very similar in dimensions to the Wild1 577. They seem to be a little narrower and more vertical in the uprights, which I like because it lines up with the cables and hides them well. They also have about 1” less pullback than the WO577. I’m mentioning the pullback because I’m at the end of adjustment in bringing them back closer to me (32” sleeve length). For anyone with a shorter than average arm length that is considering a 12” bagger bar, just be aware of the pullback and possible adjustment limits with regard to tank clearance.

Thanks again to everyone in helping me work this out.

Last edited by ZenGlide; 07-10-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:51 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

You should be good to go now. Hope that does the trick for you.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:00 AM
kwo51
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Welcome to getting older! Stock roadking bars hurt my arms ultras don't. Have had 6 operations on my arms.

Quick Reply: Tingling in Hands after Switching to Taller Handlebars