Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider first bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 10:59 PM
fxdxruss
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scrub if you are going to take the rider course use their bike. Then get your new to you HD and learn to ride. Take it easy don't jump out there and start those 150 mile commutes. Find some area with light traffic and get comfortable. Practice what you learned in the course say in a parking lot for a little each time before you go out for a ride to learn your bike. It will come fast you will know when you are starting to just ride and it feels natural.
That's my opinion FWIW.
Russ

Last edited by fxdxruss; 07-06-2015 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-06-2015, 11:03 PM
mid30
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a huge bike for your first bike. Good thing you are taking the course. Do not purchase it till after you take the course. There are a bunch of bikes out there. Work your way up. I have been riding for 40 some years and I started off on dirt bikes. My first street was a 650 then jumped to a 1200 then road king. The top heavy of the road king took some getting used to. Just for you saftey I would say work your way up. There will be another bike available to grow into. Be safe and don't push it. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:03 PM
rocknride71
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think w/ your height you'll be able to handle the bike just fine. Just don't get into the twisties w/ it right away. I just upgraded to a Street Glide Special and it's about 200lbs heavier than my Sportster. I'm only 5'7" so I have issues moving it if it's on a hill. Which I try to steer clear of. Otherwise riding it is much more fluid and responsive than my Sportster was. Doesn't take much to put it in a lean. Just respect the bike and always remember brake BEFORE the turn. Never in it! The safety course will teach you all that.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:08 PM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

I can suggest a bike … 2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide.

But can you ride it?
That will be up to you.
Just understand the big difference between a lighter bike and one of these big heavy touring bikes … the big bikes are not forgiving! Mistakes you make on a smaller bike will be, well, smaller. And you you have a better chance of recovery on a smaller bike. Make a mistake on a 900 pound bike and it will go down before you can blink.

Best thing you can do is take a riding course. Listen and practice exactly what they teach you ( everything, but especially having the handlebars straight when you apply the front brakes ) and apply it to your bike. Practice, practice, practice what they teach you, both in the class and then on your bike.
Don't go out into traffic until you are comfortable doing so.

Remember, anybody can ride a touring bike down the highway, hell, it practically handles itself. But it takes experience to properly start, stop, and perform slow maneuvers.

Should you get a 900 pound bike as your first bike? No.
Can you get a 900 pound bike as your first bike? Yes, but understand you probably need more practice on it before you can start riding it on the street.

Your best bet is, as others have said, to buy a smaller bike, get used to riding, then move up.
But if the bike of your dreams is going to disappear while you get your experience on a smaller bike, then you have to make that decision.

But can you have a touring bike as your first bike? Yes.
I did it.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:20 AM
Rat Trap
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by scrub
Is this to much bike for my first?
If you have to ask this question then, yes, it probably is. Touring bikes are heavy and if you make a bad mistake it will cost you. Either in repair to the bike or to yourself or worse.

Take the safety course, use their bike and see how it feels. Maybe then you'll know which way to go (smaller vs. the EG).

Good luck and be safe.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:06 AM
scrub
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, wha a mix of view points. thanks for all the input. this has been most helpful.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:15 AM
scrub
Intermediate

what do you guys think about a first time rider getting on a dyna class bike? And if its a good idea, which one? keep in mind i will eventually be riding 150 miles a day.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:01 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Take the BRC at your local dealer or Community College, I have been riding since I was 9 years old, probably only 6-7 summers spread out in there that I didn't own a bike. (I'm 58.5) and have over 700,000 miles exp on 2 wheels. It really depends on the person, you may get on a MC for the first time and feel like you've ridden forever with the mechanics, (clutch, shifting, braking, steering, etc...) But nothing can replace the experience, always being aware of your surroundings, ect... I can't count the times in traffic, where I'm on the brake probably 10-15 seconds before the car in front of me for something going on ahead, and I try to never follow anything I CAN'T see ahead of. I suggest lots of parking lot time, (mall or something large) while near empty, do slow maneuvers, start, stop, practice on an incline, etc...
I'm the MUSTT rep for my Squadron in the USAFR, (Motor Cycle Safety Rep)
Oh, I also have a 2010 FLHX for sale, it's a little more manageable than an ULTRA, (cooler looking too) LOL... message me if you were interested. (It's on ebay, and craigslist for Eastern NC)
ONLY REASON FOR SELLING MY BIKE is my wife has given me the green light for a RUSHMORE ROAD GLIDE! (Man I love that woman!)

Last edited by JimTJr; 07-07-2015 at 05:16 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:03 AM
bogieb
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't buy a bike until you take the rider's course. That will give you an idea of your confidence level. Confidence is what you need to start on a bigger bike - some have it, some don't; I didn't so started smaller. Others have gotten a touring bike as their first, and been good to go. Oh, and riding a bike and riding a sled are two different things, so don't automatically think you'll have a lot of confidence.

If you decide to go smaller first, there is everything from a 250 up to 800's. I took the course and then got a used 250 Suzuki (of course I was a 45 y/o, 5'6", 120# female who never rode anything but a bicycle in her life). I paid $600 for my beginner bike, sold it to another learner for the same amount. I eventually ended up with a Suzuki C50 (805cc) and that was good for getting used to some weight at 500# and I rode it for a few years as a commuter bike. When I decided I wanted to do some serious pleasure riding, I went up to a SG.

That is just one example of the steps a person can take. But others can start on an 800 - or even the big ones.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:18 AM
flht_db
Novice

A lot of good info, I know people who have started on ultras and done fine. Also have seen some leave the dealer and hit the opposite curb on the way out. I tend to think smaller is better to start if you don't have dirt experience etc. As stated (and you plan) take the course first. Evaluate yourself after the course, how did the smaller bike feel difficulty in handle etc. Then determine if a bigger bike is right for you.

You said 150 miles a day? Is that round trip commute? Definitely get some serious practice/ride time in before. Riding a motorcycle is awesome and commuting on one is too. But, it can be a different animal than just riding. There can be more traffic and more rush from the cages. Those running late and taking the meeting in their car, or texting, eating cereal, make up.. the list is endless. Weather changes, I commuted 135 miles round trip for 6 years, weather could be 70 and sunny here and 56 and pouring rain on the other end. Always have gear on the bike. Are you ok riding in the rain? Right now in Jersey we're looking at possible severe thunderstorms every day. If you don't plan for and gear for, you either cage or get wet!! Not always fun if you have 50 miles to go.

I've commuted for almost 20 years on a bike, typically the only time I don't now is with Ice and snow, and its a blast. But you have to be committed.

Quick Reply: New rider first bike