Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider first bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 09:35 PM
scrub
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rider first bike

I am looking at an electra glide ultra 2009 with 31000 miles. I am 6'1" tall weigh 255. I'll be riding 150 miles a day. Is this to much bike for my first? I'm getting mixed answered from the dealers and friend.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:56 PM
rockman250
Intermediate

Everyone is different, but I'd say the bike is too big and heavy as a first bike. Do you have any experience with off road bikes, atv's, anything else?

Old 07-06-2015, 10:12 PM
Twincruiser
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

First off, welcome to the forum and the world of HD!

It really depends on if you have ever ridden before and what level of experience you have. I'd suggest you first take a riders course either at an HD dealer, or local schools. They really do aid in teaching you the basics, and you leave with your MC endorsement after you pass the riding course.

There is no doubt size wise that you can handle the weight and overall bulk of an EG, but if you have never ridden before I would suggest baby steps, like a Yamaha or Honda 750cc size until you feel comfortable in handling a bike. Those bikes are generally on pretty large frames which should fit you well, and are inexpensive if you buy used. You can typically get most if not all of your money back when you feel you have enough experience and want to move up to the EG. I learned on a 175cc trail bike and it was probably the best experience I could ever get. You really learn how to control a bike riding trails, climbing hills and crossing creeks. 45 years later, I got my first HD, see there is no hurry.

Best of luck to you in your decision.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:13 PM
kq2dc7
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hadn't been on a motorcycle in 30 years and bought a brand new rk in 2009. No problems just take it easy and get some practice braking in parking lots. A Highway patrolman that does there rider training told me to stop from 30 miles an hour within 3 parking spots. Does the bike have anti lock brakes? If it doesn't really get a feel for the brakes. I would guess that most new riders wreck by locking up the front brake.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:21 PM
scrub
Intermediate

The only thing I have ridden are snowmobiles. The bike dose have anti lock brakes. I am for sure taking the beginners class, i wouldn't do it any other way. I am all about safety, im not into power and speed at all. I live up in the Adirondacks so I have to cautious of deer. I just want to have a good experience and enjoy riding, if getting on a Honda or yamaha is the way to go for my first I am more than happy to do it. Can anyone suggest a good bike that fits my need for long distance riding and comfort?

Old 07-06-2015, 10:24 PM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,013 Likes on 655 Posts

Welcome to the forum. A lot of good advice here already. I'd definately opt for the smaller metric bike for a first timer. However, I do know a lot of people who go out and buy a new Harley with no experience, the dealer sells bikes to newbies all the time. If you do choose to buy the EG, I'd highly recommend a course at the dealership or MSF course.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

Old 07-06-2015, 10:41 PM
Impala_ss
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Take the beginner course. Take an advanced course and you will be fine. Some people do better in the course without any experience because they do not have any bad habits like improper front/rear brake use, muscling the bike around, ect.

As long as you are comfortable and can ride it safely it's fine. Ultimately it is your call weather you feel it is safe or not.

Last edited by Impala_ss; 07-06-2015 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:45 PM
scrub
Intermediate

i am for sure taking the courses i hear the are extremely well done here. My main goal is to be safe. I work in the operating room and use to do a lot of trauma call, i see what reckless and being unsafe can do. like I said I am all about comfort and safety.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:50 PM
Impala_ss
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems silly but can you drive a manual transmission? In my experience it has been easier to teach people when they already know how to operate it, they just need to learn the motorcycle part. Trying to teach both at the same time causes some interesting balance issues...

Old 07-06-2015, 10:53 PM
scrub
Intermediate

that is not silly at all. Yes I can drive a stick.

Quick Reply: New rider first bike