Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving / Spot light plug

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 10:27 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Driving / Spot light plug

I am looking for a specific plug. I have a set of driving/spot lights but the don't have the connector. I attached a pic of the plug. Does Harley sell this part and if they do you wouldn't have the part number would you?

Another thought. Does anyone know the part that is needed so that I can have the lights wired legally? That is so they go on while the low beam is on but then go off when the high beam is put on. I had a buddy that failed inspection due to his lights not going off when the high beam was turned on. Where I am in Pa the mechanics are by the book. I believe there is a plug for this but couldn't find it on the Harley parts page.

2012 Street Glide

Attached Thumbnails Driving / Spot light plug-image.jpg  

Last edited by pontiac69; 07-06-2015 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:36 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,745 Likes on 18,544 Posts

That is so they go on while the low beam is on but then go off when the high beam is put on ... This is how they are supposed to operate from the factory ... The HD harness that circumvents this operation is 69200441 presuming that you are working on a bagger 2013 and earlier. There is also a "fix" that may have been done

I guess you'll have to go searching ... Good Luck

Old 07-07-2015, 12:15 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I'm not 100% positive about Pennsylvania, but in VA all you need is covers, and they are exempt from inspection. I would NEVER in a million years wire my fog lights to go OFFFFFFFFFF when I hit my brights. That's just crazy talk! When I hit my brights, I want as much forward facing light as possible! I used the Harley harness, but the cheap and free way works just as well.

Not sure, but I think this is still the current VA Statute.

"EXCEPTION: Any lighting device that is both covered and not illuminated, other than lamps required, shall not be considered for inspection. Fog and driving lamps mounted below the level of the regular headlamps must be checked for aim as outlined in subdivisions I 10 i and 11 g of this section if not covered. NOTE: The covers shall be a type that would be installed as original equipment and not tape, paper bags, aluminum foil or similar materials per subdivision I 11g (2)."

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...#ixzz3fBBebzvO

Old 07-08-2015, 12:41 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree. Living up in the mountains, i would like as much light as possible at night. Sucks to have to have the spots off when the high beams are on but that is the law. Dont know about if they are covered or not. But doesnt harley make a plug that turns them on when the low beam is on and off when the high beam is turned on?

Old 07-08-2015, 01:26 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by pontiac69
But doesnt harley make a plug that turns them on when the low beam is on and off when the high beam is turned on?
Yes, harley makes a kit. The bikes are all wired from the factory to disable the fogs/driving lights when you flip on the brights. Harley makes a harness for the '13 down bikes to fix this. The '14 and newer bikes simply require a computer flash from the dealer. I used the kit. It's expensive compared to using the above methods, which is free. But either method does the trick. Also, when you install the kit, you still have the factory cowl switch that stays completely operable and allows you to turn the spots on/off any time you wish. Just now with the kit install, they won't automatically shut off with the use of the brights.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:25 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

I believe you will need # 17, 18, and 19 to make your aux lights work like a stock ultra,s.
Here is a link to install instructions: http://www.harley-davidson.com/app-c...ts/-J03966.PDF

Last edited by steelerdude1; 07-08-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:51 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
There is also a "fix" that may have been done
not a big fan of "the fix" which ties 2 circuits together, If something on the Accessory plug goes south and blows the fuse it will also take the headlight out with it.

BTW it is federal law/regulation/DOT stuff that requires the fogs or driving lights FROM THE FACTORY to be off when the high beams are on

Cars are the same way.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:00 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Neggy ZRXOA 5248
BTW it is federal law/regulation/DOT stuff that requires the fogs or driving lights FROM THE FACTORY to be off when the high beams are on

Cars are the same way.

Absolutely correct! But I disagree with the governments position on this issue! I even have jumper wires on BOTH my Ford Focus, as well as my Mustang. So installing this kit on my Road King was an easy leap. That's what I think the government can do with their freakin' regulations!