Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CFR: New style VS Old style

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 03:52 AM
R.Canales
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default CFR: New style VS Old style

I have been hearing a lot about performance loss with CFR's. I understand that they redesigned the slip on to include baffles to reduce said loss. Does anyone know if the sound changed? How much better are the new version compared to old? How can you tell the difference between the two versions?
I am currently running 33" straight pipe fishtails from eBay as temporary noise makers until I find the muffler I want. There was a performance loss with the fishtails, would there actually be a gain by switching from the fishtails to the CFR's?

Old 07-08-2015, 04:47 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

You could always add a baffle in the head pipe ..i believe monster baffle makes a set that slip in right where the slip ons connect.. I don't know of anyone doing that with cfrs yet tho

Old 07-08-2015, 06:53 AM
paid4c4
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I just swapped out an older set of CFR's for a set of Rineharts. K&N AC, PV tuner from Fuelmoto. I didn't feel any power loss from the CFR's. The CFR's were just a tad too loud for me which is the only reason I changed them. The CFR's have a very low deep tone and a rumble which is like music to a biker's ears.
Bill

Old 07-08-2015, 08:54 AM
Ganooch
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I would call CFR and ask your question. They are very responsive and helpful. I would be interested to know how to tell the difference if there are 2 models. I got mine in April. Wonder which ones I have.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:01 PM
mmeddle1
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I visited their shop (Cary Faas Racing) in Phoenix in April this year while on vacation. I had just bought a new set of CFR exhaust. I asked Cary and Gaye in person what changes were made to improve the performance over the last few years. They laughed and said that there has been no change and were not sure where that rumor started. They are aware that people are talking about the new, improved performance pipes on several forums, but said that they were the same pipes. They said the dyno tuning issues are mainly due to tuners that are not very experienced and recommended using a dyno tuner with a good reputation.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:39 AM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mmeddle1
I visited their shop (Cary Faas Racing) in Phoenix in April this year while on vacation. I had just bought a new set of CFR exhaust. I asked Cary and Gaye in person what changes were made to improve the performance over the last few years. They laughed and said that there has been no change and were not sure where that rumor started. They are aware that people are talking about the new, improved performance pipes on several forums, but said that they were the same pipes. They said the dyno tuning issues are mainly due to tuners that are not very experienced and recommended using a dyno tuner with a good reputation.
There's a surprise.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:33 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by R.Canales
I have been hearing a lot about performance loss with CFR's. I understand that they redesigned the slip on to include baffles to reduce said loss. Does anyone know if the sound changed? How much better are the new version compared to old? How can you tell the difference between the two versions? I am currently running 33" straight pipe fishtails from eBay as temporary noise makers until I find the muffler I want. There was a performance loss with the fishtails, would there actually be a gain by switching from the fishtails to the CFR's?
If you like the looks of your fishtails and want a little more toned sound from them I'd call the guys at Big City Thunder and talk to them about the baffles they offer. Their stuff sounds really good too.

2010 Limited with some stuff