Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent hard starts 2010 FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 04:59 PM
party_boy114
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent hard starts 2010 FLHX

Hello, Im out of ideas on what to do.....

Bike is an 2010 flhx 96ci with harley security, has stage 1 ac, supertrapp 2:1, andrews 48h cams, baker compensator, barnett scorpion clutch, all ***** starter clutch. new spark plugs and fuel filter. powervision pro, battery is strong. 12.6+v with a drop to 10.6v w/cranking. cleaned and tightened all cables and terminals.

So my problem is hard starts when cold, it will start fine in the morning, ride to work and when i go to leave work it will crank over fine, but will backfire, sputter, pop. Ill reset the ignition a few times and eventually can get it running.

Ill go fill up at a gas pump, with it heat soaked, will start fine. It has been happening constantly when i am leaving work, and just this past weekend for the first time, did it to me in the morning when going to work. Ive been in contact with Jamie at FM, and he tweeked a few things for starting which hasnt helped my issue.

Compression is around 215psi when hot, he recommended that i have compression releases installed, but i cant see how too high of compression is my issue, as it starts fine heat soaked and most of the time. I checked the crank position sensor( 2 wire sensor and measured 1k ohms) which from what ive read is good.
Bike has no drivability issues, just the hard starting after work, but like i mentioned bike spins over fast enough where it should start. looked with the PV and are no codes. Tried opening the throttle a little when it wont start, does not help.

Im sure I missed something in there, ANYONE have any thoughts that could help me out.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:36 PM
party_boy114
Stage III

I figured I'd post it, maby help another rider out. The problem was the cams where installed one tooth advanced. I pulled the cam cover off and noticed it. Bike ran fine was just intermittent hard start.
Timed the cams to crank properly and starting problems solved. Also note I did a compression check afterwords, 193 on both so it definitely lowered the compression.

Old 06-20-2022, 07:22 PM
firemedic541
4th Gear
Default Hope you’re still around.

how did you know the cam was advanced? I’m having the same issue, idk if there are aftermarket cams on it. Bought it last June, having intermittent start issues as if it was over compression. I’d like to find the problem. It’ll start if I hold the started for an extra couple of seconds but definitely noticeable.

thanks

Originally Posted by party_boy114
I figured I'd post it, maby help another rider out. The problem was the cams where installed one tooth advanced. I pulled the cam cover off and noticed it. Bike ran fine was just intermittent hard start.
Timed the cams to crank properly and starting problems solved. Also note I did a compression check afterwords, 193 on both so it definitely lowered the compression.

Old 06-20-2022, 07:25 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,044 Likes on 4,356 Posts

Originally Posted by firemedic541
how did you know the cam was advanced? I’m having the same issue, idk if there are aftermarket cams on it. Bought it last June, having intermittent start issues as if it was over compression. I’d like to find the problem. It’ll start if I hold the started for an extra couple of seconds but definitely noticeable.

thanks
You may be best to send him a PM, this post was 7 years ago, good luck. Welcome to the forums from Ontario, Canada