Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Limited dies while riding

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 08:28 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I had a similar issue years ago on a Yamaha (Star) bike. It turned out to be the connection of the negative battery cable to the frame.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:49 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,290 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by hdgeno777
I'm a HOG member and (thankfully) purchased the extended service plan when I purchased the bike. So far the only thing not covered was the battery in the previous repair attempt. When they replaced the VR and battery it was late on a Saturday afternoon, after picking me up from the side of the road. The guy who picked me up called in a said it was his feeling that the voltage regulator was toast, and that's just what they went with. Surprisingly, that had been what they had wanted to go with again but thankfully the technician realized that there were other problems, seeing as the fuel pump wouldn't even come on.

I was able to speak on the phone today with the guy who was working on my bike. He told me that there had been a ton of codes, though we didn't get into what the codes had been. They replaced the ECM but hadn't taken the bike out for a test ride yet. He felt like the voltage regulator might have fried the ECM, though I'm still not convinced that the VR was ever the problem.

When I dropped off the bike Saturday I made sure they understood that they needed to really dig in and figure it out. I live 700km away from the nearest (decent) shop and can't be breaking down weekly and bringing it in. I think that grounds and connectors can be ruled out, but the sensors and bad wires can't be until the bike gets ridden for more than just a test ride.

One thing the tech mentioned that really pissed me off is that it's possible my race tuner won't pair with the new ECM. If that's the case I'll probably lose my mind, I literally got that tuner a few months ago and they're not cheap. He was going to try, so I'll wait for word on that.

I just hope I can regain trust in my bike, and that it returns to being reliable, as I was planning on running it for a quite a few years yet. If it turns into an unreliable machine I'll have to look into moving on, which sucks as I paid it off in a year and half and love riding a paid off bike. At 50,000km I feel the thing should barely be broken in, not broken!
I thought the VR replacement might have been a knee jerk reaction.

I have the DynoJet PV2 and I believe if you show them the paperwork that the ECM was replaced they will issue a new License for free. Maybe the one you have is the same.

How's the Ralley?

Old 08-05-2015, 09:02 AM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 572 Likes on 216 Posts

I had a similar issue, not exactly like yours but my problem ended up being fretting of the electrical connector that is behind the air cleaner that goes to the throttle body. They replaced all the pins and the bike has been fine since.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:13 AM
hdgeno777
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Rode the bike home from Edmonton today, and she ran great! It almost felt like it was running better than ever, but that could be more due to me missing the ride like crazy in the last two weeks.

All they changed this time was the ECM, which according to the tech was fried by my faulty voltage regulator. This has been a stressful few weeks, but thankfully it seems to be fixed now. Hoping that I can continue to pile up the miles over the next few years.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:38 AM
hdgeno777
Tourer

Here's a list of the codes they found, which all went away after the new ECM was installed:

P2176 - Throttle Actuator Control System - Closed Position Not Learned
U1016 - Loss of ECM Serial Data
P1356 - Rear Cylinder No Combustion Detected
P0501 - Vehicle Speed Sensor Low
P1357 - Front Ignition Coil Intermittent Secondary Detected
P0107 - MAP Sensor Open/Low
P1358 - Rear Ignition Coil Intermittent Secondary Detected
P1002 - System Relay Coil High/Shorted
P1003 - System Relay Contacts Open

Thought I'd post these codes, might help someone else in the future

Old 08-09-2015, 10:55 AM
rickb
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Man I hope it's fixed. That sounds like it would play on a persons mind. It is we want to enjoy these bikes and you can't, if in the back of your mind, you think it will leave you broken down on the side of the road at any moment. Good luck.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:16 AM
wedjim
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome to hear! That is what I thought, once the voltage goes over 15.5 or so many electronics just can't handle it. In the automotive repair industry ecm's go bad on their own as well, so I'm sure it's possible in the motorcycle repair world.

Enjoy the riding and keep safe!

Old 08-23-2015, 03:04 PM
hdgeno777
Tourer

Complete the SS1600K yesterday, 1,686km in 17hr42min. I think it's safe to say my bike is fixed and ready to chomp down some more miles now.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:27 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,290 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by hdgeno777
Complete the SS1600K yesterday, 1,686km in 17hr42min. I think it's safe to say my bike is fixed and ready to chomp down some more miles now.
Congratulations! Enjoyed reading your Blog Report. Glad you had a nice safe ride and that your bike is fixed!

Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:10 PM
wedjim
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome to hear! That many miles, safe to say it's fixed! Enjoy the ride!

Quick Reply: 2013 Limited dies while riding