Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Limited dies while riding

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 08:41 PM
hdgeno777
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2013 Limited dies while riding

Hi all, looking for a little help/advice here. As the thread title say, I ride a 2013 Limited that's almost at 49,000km now.

Last Sunday I took the bike for a little afternoon ride, around 270km. 15km from home it suddenly died while riding in cruise control. To me it appeared to be an electrical problem, and after cleaning the battery terminals and reconnecting she ran fine. Took a few short rides during the week with no glitches.

This morning I left home, planning to run the Saddle Sore 1600k. Everything was fine for the first 250km, and after getting gas the bike ran rough and the speedometer was not working properly (a twist of the throttle would dive the speedo down to 0, and the bike was very sluggish). I pulled over and shut it off, and after the restart all was fine.

After another gas stop, I kept going, when the bike again died with no warning. By now I was around 770km into the ride. I was never able to get it running again, eventually getting the bike brought in to Harley Davidson of Edmonton. When the guy showed up to load the bike it fired right up and he drove it into the van. 5 minutes earlier I had tried starting it to no avail.

They replaced the voltage regulator, and after not being satisfied totally, the put a new battery in as well. I rode it 14km to the hotel, where it died as I was pulling into the parking lot. I turned off the key while coasting, turned it on, and it fires right up. It starts fine now but can I trust the bike enough to return home tomorrow? Any ideas what's going on with the bike?

Old 07-18-2015, 09:03 PM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I have ni Idea but will follow this thread because my brothers bike does the same thing

Old 07-18-2015, 09:39 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Since you didn't mention getting a "check engine light", I assume you didn't so I would guess that it's a fuel delivery problem. Maybe a clogged fuel filter, broken fuel filter housing, broken fuel line inside the tank, or bad fuel pump. Also disconnect and reconnect the fuel tank quick disconnect fitting.

I also had a Tmap sensor plug go bad and the bike would run like crap and try to die (but it never did).

Old 07-19-2015, 05:21 PM
hdgeno777
Tourer

Rode it hard today on the way home, trying to put it in the same conditions I had yesterday. After the first start was pretty hard, not a single glitch for the rest of the day. I guess changing the voltage regulator and battery must have fixed the problem.

After leaving me on the side of the road it will take a little time for me to trust the bike again. Thankfully there was cell coverage and the dealer did their best to get me on the road. I was on the side of the road for two hours and not a single vehicle stopped, including a lot of bikes out for their Saturday ride.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:31 AM
Farmboy666
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=hdgeno777;14222221]Rode it hard today on the way home, trying to put it in the same conditions I had yesterday. After the first start was pretty hard, not a single glitch for the rest of the day. I guess changing the voltage regulator and battery must have fixed the problem.

Didn't you say it died when you were pulling into the hotel after they worked on it?

Old 07-20-2015, 07:14 PM
hdgeno777
Tourer

[QUOTE=Farmboy666;14223934]
Originally Posted by hdgeno777
Rode it hard today on the way home, trying to put it in the same conditions I had yesterday. After the first start was pretty hard, not a single glitch for the rest of the day. I guess changing the voltage regulator and battery must have fixed the problem.

Didn't you say it died when you were pulling into the hotel after they worked on it?
yes it did, that's why I was so surprised that not a single issue arose on the way home.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:56 AM
Farmboy666
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=hdgeno777;14226039]
Originally Posted by Farmboy666

yes it did, that's why I was so surprised that not a single issue arose on the way home.
I would guess that if it died after they replaced the parts then they didn't fix the problem. I hope that's not the case but it makes sense.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:50 PM
hdgeno777
Tourer

[QUOTE=Farmboy666;14227237]
Originally Posted by hdgeno777

I would guess that if it died after they replaced the parts then they didn't fix the problem. I hope that's not the case but it makes sense.
Thing is I rode almost 700km home, shutting off the bike at least four times, without any problems. Would a new battery, not totally charged yet, cause problems which result in the bike shutting down? I have no idea, and the whole situation has me feeling like I can't trust the bike.

As a poster mentioned above, he suspected fuel problems, which is certainly possible as well. No one at the shop looked at the fuel system at all, and I didn't see the response until I was at home. Might have to have a look myself at the fuel system, although if that was the problem it should have shown up again I'd think.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:16 PM
HD_fan
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 358 Posts

Hello. My 2013 Road King use to do the exact same thing. I changed my spark plugs to autolite 4164 (I think that's the part#). This fixed the problem on my bike which had 30k miles at that point and it may have still been running the stock plugs. Try it, it'll only cost you around $5 to see if it works on yours. Plugs Gap @ 40.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:45 PM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You can also check the other end of the negative cable (not the battery side, where it grounds to the bike, just follow the wire), when it corrodes all kinds of weird chit happens. I have seen many posts about that since I have been a member here, surprised that no one suggested it, also check the little rubber cap on top of the intake, when that cracks or falls off, bike also does weird chit. Hope this helps you out brother. If I am wrong, someone will chime in and correct me.

Last edited by my67pnycar; 07-21-2015 at 09:52 PM.

Quick Reply: 2013 Limited dies while riding