Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compensator Replacement - Parts List (?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 08:33 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Originally Posted by Seattle07Glide
Assuming I do the grinding to get the part out and not take off the inner primary, I can go without that gasket that I linked in my initial post. I just realized I don't have the outer gasket part number - does anyone know it? When I search on the HD site, the only one that comes up is the black inner primary (http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-inner-primary)
34901-07 $35.99

Or you can get a James Primary Gasket kit for around 60 or something that will have ALL the gaskets...

Recommend removing the inner primary. It doesn't take long at all.

Here is a link for OEM Harley parts breakout - microfiche... handy stuff.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.....asp?make=hdmc

Old 07-24-2015, 11:28 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't claim to know all that much, but I watched the video that the OP posted, and from what I could hear, it doesn't sound like a "compensator problem" to me at all.

Rather, it sounds like a -starter- problem.

Sounds like the starter gear isn't fully engaging the ring gear, or is engaging and then dropping out and back in....

Old 07-25-2015, 01:59 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishrrman
I don't claim to know all that much, but I watched the video that the OP posted, and from what I could hear, it doesn't sound like a "compensator problem" to me at all. Rather, it sounds like a -starter- problem. Sounds like the starter gear isn't fully engaging the ring gear, or is engaging and then dropping out and back in....
But what your not understanding is that a bad comp is what causes the bad starter. The comp kicks back against the starter and over time fatigues the starter to the point of what you heard in the video.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 07-25-2015, 09:33 PM
markwolula
Tourer
Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

The above two comments are valid .. Yes the older compensator is the weak link that can cause the starter clutch to fail ..
As the bike is a 2007 ,(you dont mentioned mileage). Its a matter how much you want to spend on upgrading parts etc . You can go the hole hog , and pull the inner primary and replace all seals and bearings etc... I had the exact same problem/sound as you, (2009 flht 60,000 miles) .. If you confident that the compensator is not banging at start up and shut down , for not a lot money and work , I would recommend this first ..

Remove starter motor and replace starter clutch ,(all ***** as recommended) , $80 plus and hour of your time ..
Or, remove starter motor , and replace with a new All Ball's 1.4kw starter motor ,, approx $280 plus an hour of you time ..

With a good battery and grounds all good , replacing the starter clutch , or upgrading complete starter motor will/should, solve your hard start problems ..

Old 07-27-2015, 10:11 PM
Seattle07Glide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markwolula
The above two comments are valid .. Yes the older compensator is the weak link that can cause the starter clutch to fail ..
As the bike is a 2007 ,(you dont mentioned mileage). Its a matter how much you want to spend on upgrading parts etc . You can go the hole hog , and pull the inner primary and replace all seals and bearings etc... I had the exact same problem/sound as you, (2009 flht 60,000 miles) .. If you confident that the compensator is not banging at start up and shut down , for not a lot money and work , I would recommend this first ..

Remove starter motor and replace starter clutch ,(all ***** as recommended) , $80 plus and hour of your time ..
Or, remove starter motor , and replace with a new All Ball's 1.4kw starter motor ,, approx $280 plus an hour of you time ..

With a good battery and grounds all good , replacing the starter clutch , or upgrading complete starter motor will/should, solve your hard start problems ..
It has 32,000 on it right now. I got it at 30,000 with a broken rear drive belt, so got the bike, got that fixed and was able to start riding. Lo and behold right after that, this fun noise pops up and here I am.

I really want to start getting the long trips in and keep this bike for a long time, so I'm thinking the safest bet is to just replace the compensator, rotor and the starter clutch all at the same time?

Old 07-28-2015, 01:55 AM
markwolula
Tourer

I can understand you wanting to replace wearing parts in a 2007 bike, (in the primary area), that is going to be your long term ride .... But do these parts, (in the primary area), require replacing now, and are they your problem with your hard start ...

All evidence points to the starter clutch .. fix that up first , replace starter clutch, or new starter motor .. (I believe this is a must do) . Now you should enjoy your ride..

Before you open the primary up, I would do some more research with regard what else to replace in the primary area other than the major components you have mentioned .
There are a number of seals and bearings you should replace, (while your in there) , if the bike is a keeper ..
With regard the compensator , here is a simple check, that may put your mind at ease, that you dont have to replace the compensator right away ,,

Hold front brake with bike in first gear.
Let out clutch about half way.
If Comp stays quiet , thats good.
If Comp starts chattering and knocking ,, its time to replace comp ..

Even if all seems fine , replace all the components that you have mentioned, if thats what you want to do , all I'm really sayings is , when you have the primary area fully open, replace, ( or at least check over properly ), all the seals etc, that can start to wear and fail on a older bike .... Good luck

Old 08-04-2015, 11:42 PM
Seattle07Glide
Advanced

In the interest of waiting for the Baker comp and finances in the mean time, I'm going to just change the starter clutch for now.

I bought the All ***** part... is there anything else I need when doing that? Gaskets? Screws? Oil?

And does this part get replaced from the outer primary, or from the back where the starter is? I was trying to find a YouTube video of how this gets replaced, but didn't have any luck unfortunately lol

Old 08-05-2015, 05:20 AM
markwolula
Tourer

The 2007 and up tourers,, remove starter motor from tranny side, (dont have to remove primary).
1. disconnect battery
2. remove positive cable from starter motor
3. disconnect solenoid wire ,(snap on connection
4. remove starter mounting bolts x2 ,(need an extention ).
5. wiggle starter motor to release from mounting. Its a bit tight in there, but you will get it. ( be careful, there are two locating dowels behind , dont drop or loose them).
6. place starter motor on bench , and start surgery ..

With regard greasing starter motor internals,, just a light grease of gears and moving parts will do ..

Before re installation of starter motor, a couple of things to do,
1. Clean starter motor mounting area with fine sand paper , (this is where starter motor gets its ground from ).
2. Clean and re tighten main ground to chassis . (you have good access).

Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails Compensator Replacement - Parts List (?)-starter-motor-locations.png  
Old 08-05-2015, 06:28 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

One other tip...when you get the starter off and see how it comes apart, take a box cutter and cut the powder coat along the seams where the halves separate. This will keep the powder coat from tearing and flaking off down the road.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 08-05-2015, 06:34 PM
Seattle07Glide
Advanced

Oh man, one part to buy and no opening of the case... you guys are making me think I could do this all by myself without my buddy's help... hmmm!

For someone who knows what they're doing, how long would this take?
If I go at it--and I'm a technical idiot, to put it kindly--on my own, what would the estimate be?

Quick Reply: Compensator Replacement - Parts List (?)