Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking sage advice for first time to Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 10:02 AM
stan60
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Leave your watch at home, take plenty of patience and stay off the center line. Lots of wildlife out after dark, both 4 legged and 2 legged, so be extra careful when the sun goes down.

You're gonna have a blast! Take lots of pictures and share them with us when you get back.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:43 AM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks to everyone that've posted so far and members please keep adding posts. Ill map the rides suggested by ih4x4 this week. Riding in hail sounds challenging!

Old 07-27-2015, 12:00 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Head out before daylight and beat most of the crowds.

Be prepared for any kind of weather. Every time we have been we have experienced everything from extreme heat in the badlands to freezing temps in the mountains. Rained on us every day but it usually doesn't last too long. Caught some hail and even a little snow. The only hairy time was heading up the switchbacks on Needles from the south in torrential rain with the water flowing down the road like a river. We were up the week prior that time and no traffic but it is hard to find a place to stop on those things.

Complete stops, two feet down in town.

Oh yeah Nemo rd is a fun ride and the breakfast at the firehouse in Nemo is great.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:15 PM
Diverrick
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I am jealous. I myself have never been. Where does everyone stay?.. That is a lot of people, plus how do they handle the, Ahem.... "Other duties" for so many folks? Must be a whole lot of campgrounds or hotels

Old 07-27-2015, 12:24 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

i try to do my rides in a clockwise direction. this will keep you making right hand turns. making a left turn you'll be waiting for a break in the traffic which makes for a long wait sometimes.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:36 PM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bagga
i try to do my rides in a clockwise direction. this will keep you making right hand turns. making a left turn you'll be waiting for a break in the traffic which makes for a long wait sometimes.
This is a killer insight. Thank you.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:40 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

I've only been once but had a guide that had been there before. We had a good time at the small rally in Hulett Wyoming. You can drink a beer in the street there while you walk around. Can't do that in Sturgis. You can only have a beer in a bar. The riding is phenomenal and you can't go wrong with any of the rides listed. Needles, Rushmore, Spearfish. I loved the Badlands too. Deadwood is an awesome little town to walk around in as well. If you have been to a big rally, downtown isn't really any different. We started early, rode all day and saw the sights, back at the room by dark. Be prepared for the changes in weather. Saw it all while there, heat, rain, hail, cold, but the pop up storms past fast.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:45 PM
pdzani
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bring money.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:56 PM
RoadsterGlide
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This is probably a stretch, but depending on how much time you have and if you're a history buff, ride out to the Little Big Horn National Battlefield in Crowe Agency, MT. It's definitely a day trip...about 3 1/2 hours or so on I-90 one way, or you can take a more scenic ride on Hwy 212. If not this trip, then a future one.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:18 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,546 Likes on 727 Posts

Eat early. A lot, if not most of the steak houses and restaurants close at 9-10 pm. Went to Rushmore on a monday and after finishing the visit a rainstorm broke out. Made it to the little town of Keystone nearby and went to take refuge in a restaurant with a group of other tourists. Much to our surprise they shut the doors on us saying they closed up at 4pm. I guess it's their prerogative to close when they please but to turn away good business for 2 weeks out of the year when the economy is otherwise dead seems a little foolish to me.

Quick Reply: Seeking sage advice for first time to Sturgis