Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please check my logic on windshield height....

Old 07-27-2015, 01:42 AM
paulmj
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Please check my logic on windshield height....

So, I have a couple of hundred miles on my 15 SGS and it's great. Love it. The only thing I don't like, just like everyone else, is the head buffeting at motorway speeds.

To be honest, it isn't that bad and on short trips it's not an issue. But, when I start doing longer trips of a few hours it is enough to be irritating.

So I'm going to go for a replacement shield. Probably LRS as lots of good stuff is said about them and they will ship to the UK (although I'm waiting to find out at what cost!).

So height is the issue. Clearly, I want to keep it as short as possible, for looks, while achieving the desired effect. I'm 6'2" with a 32/33 inseam.

I find if I dip my head an inch or two at speed the buffeting pretty much stops. So the wind must be hitting my helmet at forehead height.

My logic, then, is that if I buy a shield that is 2" inches higher than stock, plus with a recurve, that should do the job. And it should still look ok.

What do you all think. Does this logic hold?

Thanks!

Paul

Old 07-27-2015, 02:32 AM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, it holds perfect logic. Every inch you increase the shield height will put the strike zone one inch higher on your head.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:09 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Windshield Height

Check out this site...

http://www.ceebaileys.com/cycle/height-width.htm

Old 07-27-2015, 05:48 AM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

..............you never want to be looking thru a windshield IMO. The ideal is to have your eyes just above when you're in your normal riding position.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:53 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

measure it. Ultimately you want the shield to be just below your nose so you can look over it. The recurve will direct the wind over your head that way but to answer your question your thinking is sound. I am just not sure 2" would be enough.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:03 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

I don't think a couple of inches will do it, in your case. Also, not all this "dirty air" is coming from above he shield...put your hand at chest-level while riding and you'll feel a ton coming up between forks/tank. So...sometimes it takes a few added doo-dads to tame that ride/buffeting. At 5'11" w/34" inseam I run 8.5" LRS recurve, HD's front fork baffle and vented lowers. Adding each continually reduced buffeting to near minimal. Got to try some things and see what works for you...good luck!

Old 07-27-2015, 07:37 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by todd-67
measure it. Ultimately you want the shield to be just below your nose so you can look over it. The recurve will direct the wind over your head that way but to answer your question your thinking is sound. I am just not sure 2" would be enough.
This method is exactly what James owner of LRS will tell you. Sit on your bike and have someone look over the shield and pick the height that is just under your nose and measure that height from the top of the fairing to the height and that is the size of the shield to buy, in fact if I remember there is a video on the lrs site that shows you how to measure.
James is an awesome guy to work with.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:59 AM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

I'm same size as you. Get a 9" light gray Cee Bailey "Cee Devil". You can thank me later.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:01 AM
Cpl Ed
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Old 07-27-2015, 10:35 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

The First thing is to make sure the Fairing vent is open, if it is closed you will have buffeting.
You stated you are 6'2" tall, so you will need at least an 8" or 9" tall LRS windshield.
You do not want the windshield top to be any higher then the tip of your nose, as others
above have said you want to look over the top of your windshield.
Good Luck, & Welcome to the Forum

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Please check my logic on windshield height....