Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, here is one for ya

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 11:44 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazzardousmat
Thank you. I have bookmarked the page.
This moring I got it into Brandts HD in Wabash. They pulled the codes and found that under the left cover some terminals were damaged and said they needed replaced. I had to set an appointment time for the third of next month at 9am.
They said this would cause all my issues including cruise control not holding speed.... Ok. Well we will see.
If that solves the problem, good to go! How they found those are damaged is beyond be...

Old 08-18-2015, 11:54 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Thank you. I have bookmarked the page. This moring I got it into Brandts HD in Wabash. They pulled the codes and found that under the left cover some terminals were damaged and said they needed replaced. I had to set an appointment time for the third of next month at 9am. They said this would cause all my issues including cruise control not holding speed.... Ok. Well we will see.
Did you ever try to pull the codes yourself to see what they were? Just curious as to what terminals they are going to repair under the left side cover.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:19 PM
Hazzardousmat
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No I have not checked the codes. They said one code was for the cylinder drop I think and the other was an ect error?
I believe he said the left cover. not sure whats under there. When it comes to motorcycle repair I'm lost

Old 09-04-2015, 04:13 PM
Hazzardousmat
Road Captain

Ok, pulled the codes. Just a rear abs code, cleared and did not return after test ride. However still having the parade mode issue. HD now says those terminals are ok dont need to replace. However they now believe its the throttle twist sensor in the handlebar. They want 250.00 to 300.00 to replace it. Part is 104.00, found on Ebay for 55.00 used. FLIBS says BS for 2-3 hrs labor. Should only take about .30min to replace.
So my next question is, should I get the one of Ebay or go with the one from HD?

Old 09-04-2015, 04:41 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Ok, here is one for ya

Sounds like TCA (throttle control actuator). You can unplug, clean and use a little dielectric grease - this will hold for a while until you can replace the plug ( or TCA)

Old 09-04-2015, 04:47 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Ok, pulled the codes. Just a rear abs code, cleared and did not return after test ride. However still having the parade mode issue. HD now says those terminals are ok dont need to replace. However they now believe its the throttle twist sensor in the handlebar. They want 250.00 to 300.00 to replace it. Part is 104.00, found on Ebay for 55.00 used. FLIBS says BS for 2-3 hrs labor. Should only take about .30min to replace.
So my next question is, should I get the one of Ebay or go with the one from HD?
"Crank and crank and then run rough" is not usually a twist grip sensor issue. I'm sorry I recommended that earlier, wasn't thinking.
You can actually start the bike with the twist grip sensor unplugged and it will start and idle like normal.
You won't have any throttle but the engine will not run rough and it will obviously start.

Furthermore, when you have a twist grip sensor issue you'll see several error codes like:

P1270 TGS Validation Error
P2122 TGS1 Low/Open
P2123 TGS1 High
P2127 TGS2 Low/Open
P2128 TGS2 High
P2138 TGS Correlation Error (Twist grip sensor)

Stuff like that. But you never know. It could be a number of things related to the TGS or the TCA like wiring between the two etc.
They work together and codes are not always thrown when they fail, especially with the Throttle Control Actuator (TCA).

Twist grip sensor should only take 30 minutes like your Indy or whoever said, but to me, it sounds EFI related like your Throttle Control Actuator is going bad (your intake servo basically), or maybe a MAP sensor or even remotely, the ET sensor.

Anyway.... sorry for the random dump of junk above. Just throwing stuff out there. Hard to troubleshoot over the internet.
Buy a new Twist grip sensor from HD if that is way you go. Pull the outer fairing, unplug the TGS wiring harness from the fairing support, pull the grip and carefully pull the TGS out of the handlebar.
Unplug the green connector, take off the old TGS and plug in the new one. It's not hard...

Good luck and report back.

Last edited by lp; 09-04-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:02 PM
Hazzardousmat
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Weavr99FLHT
Sounds like TCA (throttle control actuator). You can unplug, clean and use a little dielectric grease - this will hold for a while until you can replace the plug ( or TCA)
Guess I'll have to get a manual, I cannot find it (TCA) anywhere online. Might have to call bike shop or HD and ask about it.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:58 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Ok, here is one for ya

Guess I'll have to get a manual, I cannot find it (TCA) anywhere online. Might have to call bike shop or HD and ask about it.
http://www.ridermagazine.com/manufac...e-control.htm/

Attached Thumbnails Ok, here is one for ya-photo268.jpg  
Old 09-07-2015, 07:14 AM
Hazzardousmat
Road Captain

Ah ha. Thank you for the article. It mentions the very problem I'm having. Now all I gotta do is find somewhere that has the part. I'm praying its not a dealer only item as well or its going to be expensive too.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:06 PM
Hazzardousmat
Road Captain

OMG. Couldnt find the actuator online and was told it was an HD only part. Called HD and about had a heart attack. Its a dealer only item and it is not sold seperatly but as a whole unit. Induction assembly... 400.00 and has to be special ordered.
Checked Ebay and found a new one for 150.00 but do not know if its the correct part for my 1584cc. Any other suggestions??