Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speed sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 01:02 AM
hoss357
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speed sensor

ok iwent to the hd dealer to get a new speed senser for my 2000 road king classic but the parts guy said there no such part he called it a crankshaft position sensor part#32798-00 so is this the same part and if it is isthere away to test it. i tried to clean it with wd40 did not work any advice will help [sm=feedback.gif] the speedometor and milage meter dont work when i turn key on the gage dose move but dose not regester when rideing so i guess im asking in a electronic speedometer is the speed sensor the part that makes the speedometer work and is thatthe correct name of that part

Old 05-01-2007, 01:20 AM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: speed sensor

I believe the crank position sensor operates like a "Hall effect" sensor (detailed explanation found >>>HERE<<&lt. I don't know of any good way to test one. My 2005 model threw a code for one once, but, turned out to be water in the ecm connector.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:52 AM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your not being very clear on what it is your looking to fix. Do you have a speedo problem and your looking for the sensor in the tranny? I don't know about the 2000 year, buy my 2001 manual shows it very clearly and it is wired right to the speedometer.

The following users liked this post:
fortbisbee@msn.com (09-10-2016)
Old 05-01-2007, 02:36 AM
SeaHag
Road Master

So you didn't find a sensor on your transmission just to the right side of your starter? I guess its possible that the crankshaft sensor would do double duty, but if you have a sensor where I told you to look, then its also just as possible, or even more so, that you have one of those dumbas$ parts counter 'technicians'. I am very blessed that I have parts counter staff at my local HD who actually turn their own wrenches and know the product VERY well.

PS...They eliminated the crankshaft position sensor on 2001 model bikes, so I can't tell you for sure what is right for your bike.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:44 PM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Hoss, where's the followup? Did you go back to the dealer and tell them what a dumba$$ parts guy they have behind the counter?

Old 05-02-2007, 12:29 AM
olliecox
Novice

You do have a speed sensor on your transmission just to the right of the starter, it is not a quick change so make sure you have some time alotted to replace it. SeaHag has told you where it is.

Old 05-02-2007, 05:19 AM
hogdoc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Speed sensor is the correct name for the part but I dont think its your problem. If you dont have an odometer display you most likely have another problem, the speedo head itself probably.

P.S.S. the crank position sensor wasnt eliminated the Cam sensor was.

The following users liked this post:
N2 Motorcycles (03-10-2022)
Old 07-15-2016, 10:51 PM
Busterjohn
Advanced
Received 54 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm actually experiencing the same thing on my 2001 Road King. The first time I removed the sensor there were a lot of shavings attached to the sensor because it seems to be a magnetic pick up. I cleaned it and reinstalled it. My speedo and blinkers started working normal again for about 150 miles then the speedo started bouncing around again and after a few minutes stopped working. I decided to change tranny fluid and flush the tranny to try and remove any metal residue. It seemed to do the job but stopped working again. My next step will be to just replace the sensor.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:18 AM
mrmud4x4
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

the sensor under the front cylinder, behind the oil filter.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:11 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

The crank position sensor has nothing to do with the speedo. It is pretty much strictly for engine management.
The speed sensor is mounted on the transmission. I haven't really looked into exactly how it works but my bet is that it reads the rpm of the final drive and the computer derives vehicle speed from that.
I'm sure it's probably a hall effect sensor and has a magnetic field.

If it becomes fouled with shavings and works when repeatedly cleaned then works for a while then it probably needs to be replaced. If the trans has a lot of shavings floating around then I'd suggest draining it, putting in a cheap fluid, driving a few miles and draining again. Personally, I'd repeat the drain fill cycle a couple of times then replace the sensor and put good fluid in the tranny.

Quick Reply: speed sensor