Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still chasing an oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 08:17 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

The 90 degree bend and bolt head looks a little concerning, is there a HD motor shop near you? Maybe they can be more definitive. If the motor needs to be split , is it feasible to do it over the winter?

Old 07-30-2015, 08:54 PM
rob0225
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts

I had a leak with similar oil streaks, it ended up being the stator plug. Took forever to eventually track it down because the wind spreads it all the way back and hard to tell where it originates from.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:38 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by rob0225
I had a leak with similar oil streaks, it ended up being the stator plug. Took forever to eventually track it down because the wind spreads it all the way back and hard to tell where it originates from.
I checked the oil filter and the stator plug again, seems to be dry. When I run it again tomorrow I will stuff some paper towels in that area to know for sure.

Decided to loosen the top bolt and spray the gap in question with the permatex copper spray a gasket & sealer spray hopefully it fill in in the nooks and crannys. I will hit it again with permatex hightemp rtv sealer and see what happens.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:48 PM
jaymiller5
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like it is running down from above still, have you checked to see if it is the front jug base gasket?

Old 07-30-2015, 09:50 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by jaymiller5
It looks like it is running down from above still, have you checked to see if it is the front jug base gasket?
Nope, but I will, thanks!

Old 07-30-2015, 10:12 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,244 Likes on 5,407 Posts

Originally Posted by rob0225
Took forever to eventually track it down because the wind spreads it all the way back and hard to tell where it originates from.

1. Clean motor
  2. Buy a can of Arrid extra dry
  3. Spray down suspected area of leak...cover well
  4. Run motor
  5. Leak will be very obvious.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:14 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by steelerdude1
Ok so I rode it again today, but short enough that it didn't blow all over, and long enough for it to leak enough to find the source.

Not sure what to think of this, I'm not sure if this is cracked for just the way it is put together. Im guessing the cases will have to be split and re sealed. Looks as if there is a white sealer that bonds the cases together.

Here's a pic, let me know what you think:

Thats your stator plug leaking, had that happen just after a build. I used brake clean, lift the rubber a tad to get it in there, when dry, use this sealant called "The right Stuff" that **** can be applied thru oil and will seal in 5 minutes. I used a Q tip and while lifting the rubber lip and coating under the lip, then run a bead around the grommet. Problem solved and will last forever.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:23 AM
hdultra2010
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steelerdude1
Ok so I rode it again today, but short enough that it didn't blow all over, and long enough for it to leak enough to find the source.

Not sure what to think of this, I'm not sure if this is cracked for just the way it is put together. Im guessing the cases will have to be split and re sealed. Looks as if there is a white sealer that bonds the cases together.

Here's a pic, let me know what you think:

from your pic , the oil is spread there , it is not coming from that area . mine looked like that too when i did the stator. wash it again and spread oil degreaser to clean up then test ride , and follow the new mark of oil. it could be oil filter too
this is what i used to clean up :
http://www.autozone.com/fuel-and-eng...er/522149_0_0/

spray and clean with shop towel or anything else let it dry then test ride.

Last edited by hdultra2010; 07-31-2015 at 05:29 AM.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:34 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

I really hope you guys are right, but I did already try to seal up the stator plug and checked the oil filter to tightness.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:35 AM
98fat
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had the same problem. My 2006 was leaking from everywhere including tranny.

I pulled inner primary off and the race for the main shaft had walked in and pushed the seal out, my exhaust bolts were causing the tranny to leak and the stator plug was leaking.

Honestly, pull it apart including the inner primary. Replace the main bearing (runs from tranny to the back of the inner primary with a one piece sealed bearing). Put in new gaskets everywhere and put back together. Used goop to seal the stator plug.

Problem solved.

Quick Reply: Still chasing an oil leak