Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vertically Challenged Setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 07:28 AM
Stricnine
Cruiser

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Vertically Challenged Setup

Hey guys. I know there's a few threads for short riders but wanted to see if anyone else had experience that may help me in deciding other options. I am 5'7" and I am riding a 2005 Electra Glide Standard. I have changed the factory seat out to a Corbin Close and I love it. The only issue I have now is I can't get to full lock without leaning forward quit a bit.
Currently, I am leaning toward changing out the stock bars with the Khrome Werks +2 Sweepers 300518 (w/300100 for pre-08) bars for 2 reasons. It appears my stock cables will work with it and it has +2 pullback. I'd like for it to be a little taller like the 2+2 but not sure which cables it would need, if not all, replaced and if it would make that much of a difference. I have not ordered anything yet and would love any input about these bars and/or any other bar that would compare to these. I love the looks of the twin peaks, prime apes, and those styles but not sure if it would have enough pullback and also, which cables would need to be replaced
Thanks for any input.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:12 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,242 Likes on 808 Posts

I've three seats, a Corbin Close a Harley Comfort Stitch and a Harley Reach. The Comfort Stitch puts me closer to the bars by a little over an inch compared to the Corbin Close. The Reach puts me a little close yet (don't remember how much), but is notably uncomfortable. Does nothing to help me put my feet to the ground better than the others (as I recall, haven't put this seat on for a while).

Can't comment on those bars, but I have a set of Heritage bars, which are almost identical to the Reach bars dimensionally. Helps. Did not need to change cables or wires. Did have to tweak the brake hard line a little.

The further back you put the handlebar ends, the more of a sweep they are going to make when turned hard. Just geometry. So it's going to force you to lean forward to reach the far hand grip.

I'll scoot forward on my seat, so I'm not leaning so much. I've kicked around the idea of using a pad on the back of the seat to hold me a little further forward.

I have 12 & 13 inch shocks. The 12 inchers make it easier for me to paddle around, but the ride isn't nearly as plush and they are more prone to bottoming out. 2 inches of suspension travel really isn't enough for anything but the nicest of roads.

My smurfy secret fantasy? Shorten the rear of the tank and scoot myself forward about 3-4 inches on a custom saddle. When I scoot up like that, everything falls much more easily to hand.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:15 AM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Do not get twin peaks , they have more reach

Old 07-30-2015, 09:32 AM
ramblin5
Road Master

Received 217 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Stricnine
Hey guys. I know there's a few threads for short riders but wanted to see if anyone else had experience that may help me in deciding other options. I am 5'7" and I am riding a 2005 Electra Glide Standard. I have changed the factory seat out to a Corbin Close and I love it. The only issue I have now is I can't get to full lock without leaning forward quit a bit.
Currently, I am leaning toward changing out the stock bars with the Khrome Werks +2 Sweepers 300518 (w/300100 for pre-08) bars for 2 reasons. It appears my stock cables will work with it and it has +2 pullback. I'd like for it to be a little taller like the 2+2 but not sure which cables it would need, if not all, replaced and if it would make that much of a difference. I have not ordered anything yet and would love any input about these bars and/or any other bar that would compare to these. I love the looks of the twin peaks, prime apes, and those styles but not sure if it would have enough pullback and also, which cables would need to be replaced
Thanks for any input.
I continue to recommend the Helibars for those who are vertically challenged. I'm also 5'7" and finally bit the bullet and paid the $700 a few years ago to put these on. Best thing I've ever done to a touring bike in 15 years and will never go without them again. Over 2" pull back and up and from their they are infinitely adjustable as to wrist angle. You can get free install at any of the major bike rallies. Your stock cables are used. Nothing needs to be changed out.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:20 PM
Stricnine
Cruiser

Thanks for all the input. Not sure I can stomach paying that much for the Helibars. Good concept but I really like living with my wife and kids and pretty sure she'd either shoot me or make me wish she did if she found out I spent that on a set of bars. Lol. I'm really thinking hard about pulling the trigger on the Khrome Werks +2's. From what I've read and been told, I should only need the bars, one piece riser clamp, and the handlebar extension for pre-08 from KW. Worse case scenario, I would need a longer clutch cable.
As for touching the ground, I can stand flat footed with my boots on and pretty close to flat without shoes. I guess I was at least fortunate to not have too short of legs.
Thanks again guys and I will report back if I go with these bars and how it goes.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:24 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I am also 5'7 and ride a 2010 Ultra Classic. Here is my set up that works very well for me. I have a C & C low profile seat with riders back rest. My bars are Wild One's 12.5 Apes. These bars have more pull back than most other brands. I am still running stock 13' shocks but will probably change them out in the near future. I might add that I am flat footed and able to have a slight bend in my elbows while leaning back against the backrest.

Attached Thumbnails Vertically Challenged Setup-p1030924.jpg  
Old 07-31-2015, 07:30 AM
Stricnine
Cruiser

Thanks C908 for the info. I will look into the wild ones apes. I did look into the C&C seats but decided on the Corbin Close. I really like this seat. It doesn't push me into the tank but is a little further forward than factory position, maybe 1 inch. I also sit flat footed just need a little more reach on the bars. Thanks again.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:42 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ramblin5
I continue to recommend the Helibars for those who are vertically challenged. I'm also 5'7" and finally bit the bullet and paid the $700 a few years ago to put these on. Best thing I've ever done to a touring bike in 15 years and will never go without them again. Over 2" pull back and up and from their they are infinitely adjustable as to wrist angle. You can get free install at any of the major bike rallies. Your stock cables are used. Nothing needs to be changed out.
I am 5'8" and had many of the same short guy/big bike issues. I also changed to HELIBARS, and completely agree with the above post. Best addition I ever made. Infinite adjustments, just put the bars exactly where they fit for you and tighten all the adjusters to keep it there. Also, your stock cables work fine with them.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:37 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

Before you change bars consider adjusting your current ones. It's easy and costs nothing to adjust them to be a couple of inches closer, which may make all the difference. They will also be a little lower, further improving your reach on full lock. Of course you could always power slide those tighter turns.....

Old 07-31-2015, 12:59 PM
Stricnine
Cruiser

Lol. The power slide is a viable option. They are already adjusted down some. There may be a little left in there. I will check that and see if I can and it will definitely be the cheapest easiest route. Thanks guys

Quick Reply: Vertically Challenged Setup