Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M/C Trailer Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 02:50 PM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by batman.
What are you tailoring the bike to? If your going camping or to a hotel why not get a toy hauler. Serves two purposes then. Brings bike along and then you can sleep in it. Win win situation.

Batman
At this stage I've become a hotel guy, no camping or campers. Maybe years ago...no particular destination, just wherever. Was down in Virginia/West Virginia 3 weeks ago, 1 day 450 mile superslab down and 1 day 250 miles in torrential rains back, would have been nice to trailer down, ride the area and avoid all that highway and bad weather. Highways on the bike don't do it for me, a highway for me is just a way to get someplace fast, better suited in a 4 wheeler. And the worst part of any ride around here is getting in and out of NY, life in hands at all times on the bike. I've said it before, you guys who live out in rural country areas don't know how lucky you are...Thanks.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:00 PM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
I have been looking at a 6x10 Lark V-Nosed Low Profile Enclosed Trailer, brand new with a spare tire and tie downs at around $2,200.00 out the door in white, red, or silver. Looks sharp and looks well built. Other colors available at extra cost. Still chewing it over.
Many folks in here will try to talk you into something bigger, dual axle, blah blah, but for just one bike, heck, it's your bike - get what YOU want.
Aluma makes a nice one like it in aluminum, at about three times the price.
I have heard some people buy a single enclosed trailer, then trade it in for something bigger, but I am yet to find one of those bargains.
Trying to buy a trailer is the biggest PIA, so many manufacturers, so many brands and models, options. I called a place in Jersey, lady says no salespeople available, we'll call you back. No one calls, I call back and guy acts like he could care less. Thanks, the Lark looks good, fair price and a dealer close by in Jersey, I'm gonna look into it. Tomorrow I'm gonna look at a 6x10 Diamond Cargo, guy says it's new, never been registered but it's a 2013, he's an Internet Dealer. All set up with the M/C package EXCEPT the chock, I'll have to buy that. Harley decals and paint which I didn't want, he says I can take the decals off and I got a buddy that could paint the orange black. But the guy wants 4K for the trailer, seems a bit high for a 3 year old trailer, even a new 3 y/o. I'll see if he'll negotiate a bit...thanks.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:42 PM
inthechateau
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use my Haulmark 7x12, have duel chocks from Harbor freight to haul two bikes. Use E trax on the side walls and floor for tie downs. I also use a solid block of carpet padded wood under the center of each bikes frame. This keeps from pulling down on shocks and forks too much. Trailers bounce a lot! and if you pull tie downs tight enough to keep them from unhooking on you will be really putting a lot of pressure on those forks. The block limits the travel of the forks to get a good solid, won't come loose, tie down. Do not skimp on the ratchet straps. Those cheap ones will break on you or slip when you least expect them too.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:44 PM
inthechateau
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IUOE ROB
At this stage I've become a hotel guy, no camping or campers. Maybe years ago...no particular destination, just wherever. Was down in Virginia/West Virginia 3 weeks ago, 1 day 450 mile superslab down and 1 day 250 miles in torrential rains back, would have been nice to trailer down, ride the area and avoid all that highway and bad weather. Highways on the bike don't do it for me, a highway for me is just a way to get someplace fast, better suited in a 4 wheeler. And the worst part of any ride around here is getting in and out of NY, life in hands at all times on the bike. I've said it before, you guys who live out in rural country areas don't know how lucky you are...Thanks.
Oh yes we doooooo

Old 07-30-2015, 05:01 PM
Dans03RKC
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a Diamond cargo. I got the 7x14 tandem axle very nose. I looked at used and they were close to the same money so I got a new one. $5000 out the door...

Old 07-30-2015, 05:37 PM
drc270
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would suggest a 6x10 with a rear ramp door and an interior light.
Don't think I would want anything much bigger with that tow rig.
I have 6x10 that is perfect for a bagger and other necessary items, tows
well and is a perfect fit.

FWIW I live on 20 acres 40 miles to the nearest city of 60k or so. I do appreciate living this way, but I sure have more fun running around in a big city on my scoot now and then socializing with other bikers, going to dealerships, car/bike shows etc. A lot of those things are 200 miles from me.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:45 PM
King-a-ling
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by IUOE ROB
I have a GMC Acadia with the towing package, I think it's good for around 5,000 lbs. Definitely getting an enclosed trailer, thanks!
If possible I would try to see if they allow a test ride or pull to see how well your vehicle pulls it especially loaded. I pulled a friends 6x10 v nose with my RK inside with a half ton pickup and got about 10-12 mpg at 60-65 mph. Granted my truck is a 98 GM with 235 hp V8 and I couldn't use OD with the risk of burning up a weak transmission. Now V6's make a lot more power, but I quickly realized this truck wasn't suitable for long hauls with a loaded trailer.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:44 PM
FLHTCUI05
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 2005 Ultra and used my 5X8 enclosed to haul it. Just bought a 2015 Ultra Low and it is too long for the trailer. Need to go to 5X10 or 6X10. I am leaning toward a 6X10 for the extra space. 5X would work but it is tight getting the bike tied down.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:53 PM
Rimfire03581
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed your from ny. Mission and cargo pro make some nice trailers, they are owned by the same company There made in maine, and can be customed ordered.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:26 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I've got a PACE, love it, heads and tails above Haulmark...

I've owned a few of them.

Quick Reply: M/C Trailer Questions