Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M/C Trailer Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 09:43 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Originally Posted by IUOE ROB
Trying to buy a trailer is the biggest PIA, so many manufacturers, so many brands and models, options. I called a place in Jersey, lady says no salespeople available, we'll call you back. No one calls, I call back and guy acts like he could care less. Thanks, the Lark looks good, fair price and a dealer close by in Jersey, I'm gonna look into it. Tomorrow I'm gonna look at a 6x10 Diamond Cargo, guy says it's new, never been registered but it's a 2013, he's an Internet Dealer. All set up with the M/C package EXCEPT the chock, I'll have to buy that. Harley decals and paint which I didn't want, he says I can take the decals off and I got a buddy that could paint the orange black. But the guy wants 4K for the trailer, seems a bit high for a 3 year old trailer, even a new 3 y/o. I'll see if he'll negotiate a bit...thanks.
Hey, I didn't mention the Lark Trailer price did not include a wheel chock, but that was not a big deal to me as I already have a $59.00 Harbor Freight Chock that does just fine. Tie downs were installed, E-Track was offered at an extra cost.
Something else you may be interested to know, the Lark Trailer I looked at was "Low Profile" meaning it was just under 6' height inside, that combined with the V-Nose is supposed to make it more efficient to pull. Plenty of room for the bike, but not to be walking around inside. Perhaps not a really big deal, but something to pass along. Another way some Trailer Companies deal with this is called "Slanted V-Nose" where the front of the nose is turned down, but inside height is not as affected.
Hey, I hear you about Interstate travel. I live out in a rural area, and try to avoid interstates. Many drive around down here at 90mph or more on the slabs, and that's what has me considering a trailer.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:02 PM
als2052
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just picked up a bare bones Diamond Cargo 7x12 for 2 Harleys with some minor accessories for 3200....picked up at factory...so far so good....now rigging for bike hauling...good luck

Old 07-31-2015, 05:02 AM
shadowchrome
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 6x12 Horton Hauler. It's mostly my work trailer but works nicely as a m/c transporter. I use a BikePro chock that is easily removed from its base so it's not in the way when it returns to work status. I have flush folding tie down points recessed into the floor.

Mine isn't a v-nose since I have cabinets mounted up front and I'll get 13/14mpg with my diesel Excursion.
Think about the ride height of the trailer for loading/unloading. Get a torsion axle. In hindsight I wish mine was a tandem axle......single axles suck for backing! I also wish that I had brakes even behind my Excursion. The Horton is a heavy trailer since it has steel tube wall framing but I wanted that since I have an exterior ladder rack on mine.

I guess my point to all this is to think about the big picture when buying a trailer. Will you only haul your bike with it? Since an Acadia is your tow vehicle I'll bet you might have some other uses for it!

Old 07-31-2015, 07:23 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

I have a Victory 6 x 10
That size is perfect for hauling one bike. You won't get 2 in there though.

I really try to ride most places. I rode the Street Glide to Sturgis last year, and loved riding in the Black Hills.
But the wife isn't able to ride that type of distance, and I wanted her to enjoy the area also.
So, I bought this so we could both go.
We just got back, and didn't have any issues with it at all. Pulls easy.

Get a wheel chock.
Harley has the tie down bracket Chrome Tie-Down Brackets
Part Number 93500011
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-down-brackets

Old 07-31-2015, 07:55 AM
CRocks
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I went down to South Georgia Cargo (manufacturer) and bought mine. I chose a 5X8 V-nose w/6' interior height. I wanted the smallest I could get because I'm pullin it with a Toyota Tacoma. If you buy an 8 footer, the V-nose is a must! The 5' interior would be easier to pull, but a PITA to load + walk around in. If yah intend to possibly use it for campin, get the 6' interior. Came std in black, interior lighting, 2 vents, side door, jack + safety chains, $1600 no tax. Suggest buyin optional spare tire.

I installed a shelf in the nose, interior receptacles, z-trac system, Condor trailer only wheel chock (which I HIGHLY recommend) + a few other improvements. Pulls like a dream. Here's some pics of the bike in the trailer. BTW, normally has a tourpak on it, just not in these pics.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:13 AM
Recon4
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've hauled my '09 all over the country on a Aluma MC10 for three years. I looked at enclosed trailers but decided to go with Aluma. Harley's are made to be outdoors so no big deal. When I'm not traveling I park the bike in the garage. It's just my preference. I prefer an open trailer rather than an enclosed.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:34 AM
CRocks
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Recon4
I've hauled my '09 all over the country on a Aluma MC10 for three years. I looked at enclosed trailers but decided to go with Aluma. Harley's are made to be outdoors so no big deal. When I'm not traveling I park the bike in the garage. It's just my preference. I prefer an open trailer rather than an enclosed.
Harley's are made to be outdoors, but not on salt + chemically treated highways. For those of us in the rust belt, our biggest use of a trailer is during those times/conditions. If the roads/weather was nice, we'd ride down not trailer. If I was based in Phoenix like yourself, I'd have the open trailer also, much cheaper + easier to pull. But unfortunately, I'm not, and an enclosed trailer is the only way to go for folks subjecting their bikes to those chemicals.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:52 PM
Recon4
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Born and raised in Milwaukee so I know what you're talking about. Trust me, I'll take the heat over the cold winters any day. Semper Fi Marine...

Old 08-01-2015, 04:53 AM
gja
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by inthechateau
I use my Haulmark 7x12, have duel chocks from Harbor freight to haul two bikes. Use E trax on the side walls and floor for tie downs. I also use a solid block of carpet padded wood under the center of each bikes frame. This keeps from pulling down on shocks and forks too much. Trailers bounce a lot! and if you pull tie downs tight enough to keep them from unhooking on you will be really putting a lot of pressure on those forks. The block limits the travel of the forks to get a good solid, won't come loose, tie down. Do not skimp on the ratchet straps. Those cheap ones will break on you or slip when you least expect them too.
Best advice I've read. I've got the same trailer and find I use it more for moving junk than my bike. The e- trac on the side walls works well for tying down cargo.

Good luck in your search.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:27 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

Thanks for all the great advice, some really good tips here that I never would have thought of. As I said earlier, so many companies make them (seems like most are in Georgia) it makes choosing one very difficult. I've looked at a Haulmark, a Wells Cargo and a Diamond Cargo, all local dealers. I also looked at that 2013 NEW Diamond Cargo trailer with the HD colors and decals. Dealer said it was never registered so could be sold as new with the 5 year warranty. He did say they used it "maybe once", had a few little dings but looked good. Came with the M/C package (except chock), a rubber floor and ramp, vents and lights, the white "plastic" interior and a spare tire, he wanted 4K, I offered him $3500. He told me I'd have to pay the tax, another $300, I said I'd think about it. The Haulmark and Wells Cargo were both around 3K but I'd have to add all the M/C stuff, probably another $500. I definitely want an enclosed 6x10, I'll only be moving one bike and the 5 footer looks small for my aging body to move around in. Heading down to PA. for a week, will look around down there. Thanks again to all and please keep the info and tips coming, I'm learning a lot.

Last edited by IUOE ROB; 08-01-2015 at 05:31 AM.

Quick Reply: M/C Trailer Questions