Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy used Tourer 2010-2013 or 2014?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 03:21 PM
HD_fan
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 358 Posts

[QUOTEThe small changes have significant effects because the new triple tree stiffens the flex out of the front suspension. A big weakness in the Harley suspension that got worse as they got heavier. Not that big of deal for most riders, but it is for one who likes the twisties][/QUOTE]

This exactly. I am coming from sportbikes and a cruiser with inverted forks and monotube rear and the front end of my RG is just as composed my last R1...STIFF. Now the rear is a different story (Im replacing with highend shocks).

Is it significant? I dunno, I also had a 13 RK and that wasn't bad at all and pretty awesome handling bike.

I'm into handling and good brakes...one of the reasons I bought my new RG.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:40 PM
Dharn55
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The biggest change was the Twin Cooled engine, and this is only on a few bikes. The front forks are bigger, but the rear shocks are still crap, at least the air shocks. The adjustable one on a few bikes are better that the air shocks but still nowhere near the aftermarket shocks. Linked braking is nice on those models that offer it. They did upgrade the radios and the fairings on the RG's but my 2012 with a Madstad is much better than the new fairing.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:48 PM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

The ABS Sequential braking system is worth it alone... if you haven't tried it...you should, its amazing ... i don't normally notice stuff like that , but it stands out , you hit the front or rear break, and they both activate and the bike just sucks down like a hover craft losing air...

Old 07-30-2015, 06:28 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
The test rides here consist of a few commercial/residential road miles and a few freeway miles. I asked for a longer test ride, explaining that handling in the twisties is important to me. They ignored that part of the conversation.
Any decent dealer will let you take a test ride for at least 25 miles. Anything less, then I would look for a dealer who wants my business.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:46 PM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

i bought my 13 ultra in june of 2013. boy. if i could turn the clocks back id wait a few months. ive had trouble free miles and i really love this bike but if you have the coin, its a no brainer to me.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:47 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by INJEKTER
The ABS Sequential braking system is worth it alone... if you haven't tried it...you should, its amazing ... i don't normally notice stuff like that , but it stands out , you hit the front or rear break, and they both activate and the bike just sucks down like a hover craft losing air...
Yes, linked breaking sounds good. Although, their are times hitting the twisties I lightly hit the back brake only. This causes the bike to standup a bit, increasing ground clearance, while not lowering front end with front end braking. I realize many may not approve, or understand. A few will know what this is about with heavy cruisers. Especially softails that have less than ideal lean angle. Maybe less of an issue with a touring bike.

Originally Posted by YPD485
Any decent dealer will let you take a test ride for at least 25 miles. Anything less, then I would look for a dealer who wants my business.
To get to the fun stuff, twisties in foothills, would require well over an hours total ride time. Perhaps the risk of an accident increases with riders riding new bikes in the twisties is a factor. I have no idea what other test rides are. I also looked at Victories. The V dealership said I can demo THE bike I want to buy only WHEN I am ready to buy it. Business is good I guess.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:38 PM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

If you can afford the '14 go for it. I've ridden a couple of Rushmores, they are a significant improvement.

Plus when / if you go to sell / trade, you will get more out of it.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:05 PM
King-a-ling
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Probably totally irreverent, I got behind a 14 or 15 the other day and noticed while idling at a light there was no obvious shacking of the tour pack like in previous years.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:45 AM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Yes, linked breaking sounds good. Although, their are times hitting the twisties I lightly hit the back brake only. This causes the bike to standup a bit, increasing ground clearance, while not lowering front end with front end braking. I realize many may not approve, or understand. A few will know what this is about with heavy cruisers. Especially softails that have less than ideal lean angle. Maybe less of an issue with a touring bike.

To get to the fun stuff, twisties in foothills, would require well over an hours total ride time. Perhaps the risk of an accident increases with riders riding new bikes in the twisties is a factor. I have no idea what other test rides are. I also looked at Victories. The V dealership said I can demo THE bike I want to buy only WHEN I am ready to buy it. Business is good I guess.
WELL coming from an 09 Fat Bob, considered by many to be one of the best handling Harleys, i can tell you that these new touring bikes handle great, it feels much better coming in and out of the turns than my Fat bob did. they have the best lean angel of all the twins, new stiffer front ends and the added weight keep you planted to the road through the turns,, id go 2014 no doubt.. and on all of my other bikes hitting the front break stands me up in the turns so i will usually hit a little rear if i neat to slow a bit... now with this ABS it doesn't really pop you up or anything, it just settles down and slows down perfect for turns or anywhere else as the bike stays where you have it

Last edited by INJEKTER; 07-31-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:52 AM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by King-a-ling
Probably totally irreverent, I got behind a 14 or 15 the other day and noticed while idling at a light there was no obvious shacking of the tour pack like in previous years.
irreverent is showing a lack of respect,,,,, i think you want irrelevant : )

Last edited by INJEKTER; 07-31-2015 at 09:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Buy used Tourer 2010-2013 or 2014?