Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Road King Classic starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 09:48 PM
titched
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Road King Classic starting issues

I will start with I did a search and couldn't find anything. I recently had a problem that has occurred a couple of times now. I had stopped for fuel. The nozzle at the pump was acting up. First no fuel then it overflowed my tank. Ok not the end of the world. I go to start the bike...it turns over but won't start. Lights, horn work. Seems like plenty of power just no startee. I push it over to the side let it sit, take the fuel cap off, I don't know why. Check the wires, look good after a few more try and then letting it sit, it starts. Started up no problem next few times but then again it won't start. Same routine, take off cap, try a few times, let it sit and it starts.

Any ideas?

Old 08-04-2015, 07:01 AM
titched
Cruiser

A little more info. The fuel pump sounds like it is cycling when it should. It's giving a solid turnover just not starting. I think the times it's happened in the past was after fueling up. No codes are showing up.

Thanks for any help.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:40 PM
titched
Cruiser

Anyone...bueller...bueller

Old 08-04-2015, 08:49 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 624 Likes on 453 Posts

Difficult hot starting, generally your situation of a short refueling stop, is fairly common. What frequently improves the situation is changing the starting technique. When hot, hit the starter as soon as you can after turning on the master switch, don't let the pump run its full cycle. I have this problem with my 08 RKC and not waiting for the fuel pump to complete its priming cycle almost always works. I usually open the throttle a bit also as I hit the starter. Continue making cold starts the old fashioned way.

My THEORY is that high engine heat and a good check valve in the fuel pump circuit means that the expanded hot fuel trapped in the fuel line seeps out the fuel injectors and makes a mixture so rich that it can't fire. Allowing the fuel pump to run the full prime cycle just makes the overly rich situation even worse. I have removed my air filter as quickly as possible after a shut down and looked in the throttle body and could see the "white fog" fuel vapor that shouldn't have been there with tight injectors. At over $75 a piece for new injectors I will stick with the "modified" hot start procedure until it doesn't work any more.

Last edited by btsom; 08-04-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:55 PM
titched
Cruiser

Thanks. I will try that. I can smell gas and my buddy commented it was almost like a flooded carb back in the day. Do you think that taking the gas cap off has any effect or that the overflow or relief in the tank can contribute to the problem?

Old 08-04-2015, 09:16 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 624 Likes on 453 Posts

Doubtful, but anything is possible. If your tank vent is restricted the fuel in the tank could pressurize from the heat and add to the fuel seeping from the injectors. In that case you should hear a hiss as the cap seal is released or fuel should run out onto the tank from around the cap threads as the pressure is released. Have either of those symptoms shown up?

Old 08-04-2015, 09:40 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Try rotating the fuel line where it comes into the quick release check valve at the bottom left rear of the tank and see if it then fires up. If so, you need a new fuel line from tank to throttle body. And most likely the o ring inside the quick release will need replaced also. The plastic elbow on the fuel line gets worn where the 3 retaining ***** make contact and it slowly closes off the one way check valve.