Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone change the front pulley to get lower cruise rpm?.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 07:26 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts
Default Anyone change the front pulley to get lower cruise rpm?.

I was thinking about doing this, trying to get a slight drop in RPM at cruise. Just wondering if there are any negative aspects. I have to change out my belt soon anyways, and my primary gasket leaks a little; also replace the rear tire. So, I figure I could do it all at once.

I presume, starting out from a light I could go just a little bit further before shifting up.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:04 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 624 Likes on 453 Posts

Far more common is a smaller front pulley to get more acceleration and an easier launch form a standstill with two on board. When you change either pulley you change every gear, not just the one you are interested in. If you ride 2 up very often or are in hilly areas you may be best to leave everything as is. Far more expensive than just a pulley is a six speed transmission, you retain the low gear for starting and get the cruise 6th speed.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:06 PM
Cobra1
Road Warrior

Received 1,289 Likes on 523 Posts

Only downside is maybe getting out of the engine torque band and then the bike would be sluggish and unresponsive. If your engine has the guts go for it.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:44 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 229 Likes on 143 Posts

Is your bike fuel injected?

Old 08-09-2015, 11:30 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
Is your bike fuel injected?
It did have the MM EFI, but I changed it back to carb. Does that make a difference?

Old 08-10-2015, 06:09 AM
Cliff R
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The 34 tooth front pulley is a really nice upgrade for the 5 speed bikes. I've done quite a few in the shop and installed one on my 2003 Road King.

It puts rpms in high gear on par with the later 6 speed bikes. You will need to install an in-line speedometer calibration device. Several companies make them, pretty sure I got mine from Dakota Digital.

The install takes about 2 hours, and you will need a big socket for the retaining nut, and a "wedge" to keep the sprocket from turning. I made both here in the shop when we did the first one, can put picks up later of them if needed. A hand held GPS works well to calibrate the speedometer on the first test ride. I just taped mine on the tank so I could see it till things matched up, then you tuck the wiring under the seat and done with it.

About all you have to do is remove the running board, shifter, and starter on the Touring bikes, then the inner primary and you are right there. Plenty of room for moving things around with the stock length belt, so good to go there.

I put nearly 40,000 miles on my 2003 Road King after the "poor many OD" install, and it never grumbled once about the change in gear ratio anyplace. PLENTY of power moving out from stoplights even with 2-up and a trailer in tow......Cliff

Old 08-10-2015, 06:24 AM
modes
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

If you are looking to do this. I have a 34 tooth sitting in my garage that was on my '05. If interested , then let me know.

Adam

Old 08-10-2015, 06:51 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I did the 34 tooth pulley on my 05 Anniversary Fat Boy. To this day, there is not a single mod I did to that bike that I enjoyed MORE than that pulley swap. Not only does it make the bike a DREAM on the hyway, it changed the 4-5 cruise shift point. Anyone with a 5 speed 88-95 motor knows how annoying trying to cruise back roads is. Riding at 50-55 and you ALWAYS seem to be in the wrong freakin' gear. Install that 34 tooth pulley and you can keep the bike comfortably in 4th gear pretty much from the high 40's all the way up to 60. So your no longer constantly going 4-5 at that ever so common 55 mph as you slow up and down for traffic, curves, suicide squirrels, or whatever. I highly recommend it for 88-95 inch 5 speeds.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:45 AM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I have a 99 Ultra that I did that too. With the other engine mods I have not noticed much difference, but know that the take off with both my wife & I on on a hill is a little tougher. I like the cruise better but its still needs a 6th spd.

Toby

Old 08-10-2015, 08:03 AM
Cliff R
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

"To this day, there is not a single mod I did to that bike that I enjoyed MORE than that pulley swap"

+2

I think all the early 5 speed twin cam bikes should get this modification, these engines have PLENTY of power and work fine with the final drive change even in the lower gears.....Cliff

Quick Reply: Anyone change the front pulley to get lower cruise rpm?.