Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2015 RGS 120ST

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 05:21 AM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by knox_nate
Well finally got to pick the new RGS up tonight after the 120ST install with Bandit Sportsman Clutch. Only time I had ridden it was for a few miles with the 103 and stock set up.

HOLLY CRAP! Love this thing! Have the D&D Borzilla 2 into 1 exhaust and it is not going to sneak up on anyone. Blacked out part of the engine stuff, but still have a lot to go. Was only able to put a few miles on it tonight, but I hope to put a lot more on tomorrow.

Have to get a new windshield, because the stock is too low. Some apes and more black out will be in the near future.

Mechanic and tuner said he played with the tune adding fuel, taking away fuel, timing, etc... and felt that this would be a good every day ridding tune for the break in period. That break in period he told me to ride it like I am going to ride it normally or maybe even harder. Just make sure and not keep at the same mph and vary the RPM.

Not sure about the dyno with the drop in the trq at like 3200 to 3400 along with the trq curve, but thought it may be like that based on the internals of the engine. I am currently 100% happy with it though, so I am not planning on more tuning unless something just stands out. Get on it at around 3500 RPM and she freaking screams.

Let me know what you think. Attached are the two final dyno runs.

The most important part of your break in has either been done correctly or not. Your rings are seated in the first 50 miles and that should have been done on the dyno while it was being tuned.There is no reason why your bike isn't tuned to its full potential.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:09 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by sporacer
I would definitely find someone else to tune your engine. I see people blaming the pipe but that pipe is perfect for that engine if you like loud. It probably runs ok but the dyno chart looks like ****. Congrats on your purchase. There is no replacement for displacement.

Sorry but you're wrong about the pipe. If you understood my post you would understand that the larger primaries of the boarzilla will cause a tq dip in a motor producing these numbers. It's a detuned 120 that's putting out the power of a built 107 and 107 power is not enough for the zilla. Fatcat would eliminate the dip, I've seen the zilla do this many times.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:55 PM
sporacer
Road Master

Originally Posted by ntraindavefl
Sorry but you're wrong about the pipe. If you understood my post you would understand that the larger primaries of the boarzilla will cause a tq dip in a motor producing these numbers. It's a detuned 120 that's putting out the power of a built 107 and 107 power is not enough for the zilla. Fatcat would eliminate the dip, I've seen the zilla do this many times.
So your telling the op that the tune is fine and its all the pipes fault for being to big of primary pipe?

Old 08-14-2015, 08:58 PM
firefighter156
Road Master
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Congrats on your purchase. Nice bike. There's no break in left. The rings are seated. That's over and should have been either on the Dyno or via heat cycles. Nonetheless, that Dyno graph is god awful. Something isn't playing together well. Would be interested in what cams it has, any head work, what TB, what injector size, what tuning device was used, etc. For a 120" your should be seeing better numbers.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:33 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That is really nice, I would like to do something similar someday. I'm assuming your dealer did the swap? A couple of questions. Did you or the dealer keep the stock motor and other take-offs? I'm guessing you negotiated this, what is the best way to go in your opinion? Did the dealer offer any warranty? Thanks! And again, I really like your bike. Ride safe.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:30 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by sporacer
So your telling the op that the tune is fine and its all the pipes fault for being to big of primary pipe?

Last time I chime in and repeat myself. YES, the dip at 3200-3400 is the pipe.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:44 AM
knox_nate
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Localprez
Congrats on your purchase. Nice bike. There's no break in left. The rings are seated. That's over and should have been either on the Dyno or via heat cycles. Nonetheless, that Dyno graph is god awful. Something isn't playing together well. Would be interested in what cams it has, any head work, what TB, what injector size, what tuning device was used, etc. For a 120" your should be seeing better numbers.
Stock 120ST with stage one. They ST comes with 259E heads. It was tuned with the SE pro tuner. They come with the 58mm TB.

The numbers are actually on par or better than other 120ST swaps that I have seen. I am sure it could be tweaked and get a few more hp and trq. Some have said the exhaust is a reason for the dip in trq and then a straight climb.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:58 AM
knox_nate
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmcbeat
That is really nice, I would like to do something similar someday. I'm assuming your dealer did the swap? A couple of questions. Did you or the dealer keep the stock motor and other take-offs? I'm guessing you negotiated this, what is the best way to go in your opinion? Did the dealer offer any warranty? Thanks! And again, I really like your bike. Ride safe.
Yes I purchased the bike and working the deal we did everything for the 120 swap. Bike stayed at the dealer until they got the engine in and swapped out. The dealer gave me a credit on the 103. I am sure I could have sold it for more myself, but I don't have the room or time to deal with selling an engine. They gave me $1,500 credit. I got to keep all the take offs tha were switched out with the other parts. I have a whole box of crap now from the stock stuff they pulled off.

Since they did the install on a new bike I got the 1 year warranty on the engine. I am not sure if you still get that warranty if you have them swap into a older bike or not. You would think so especially if the dealer is going everything. I would check and make sure. The ST has the warranty the R does not have any warranty.

I first saw the 120ST when I went to the Defenders get together down in New Orleans. We went to a dealer there and they had one in a RG on the show room floor. I talked with them getting info and they said they would give the $1,500 credit if I wanted it in a different bike and didn't want to keep the 103. So, when I got back home I just told them what I could get there and it was never questioned about the $1,500 credit. I can't find anything that says that is a MOCO program, so maybe you could get more or maybe less.

When buying it with a brand new bike and having a trade in there are plenty of places for them to move numbers around, so you just have to make a deal that you are comfortable with. I got 15% off from the book cost on the engine and we figured in all the parts and labor involved at the beginning. This way everything was already taken care of and no new stuff popped up at the end of the process.

I am 100% pleased with everything and it is fun as hell to ride. To me that is all that matters. It is not the fastest or strongest out there for sure (never went into this to get that and a warranty), but it is mine and I been smiling since I rode it out of the dealership.

Old 08-15-2015, 04:39 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Wow!!! She looks like a screamer! Good for you. JR

Old 08-15-2015, 05:36 AM
sporacer
Road Master

Originally Posted by ntraindavefl
Last time I chime in and repeat myself. YES, the dip at 3200-3400 is the pipe.
Here is a 120r without your dreaded tq dip with a zilla pipe.

Attached Thumbnails New 2015 RGS 120ST-120r-dyno-001.jpg   New 2015 RGS 120ST-417816_10151391696452181_487614498_n.jpg  

Quick Reply: New 2015 RGS 120ST