Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough day Wednesday, but a great dealer!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 10:15 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rough day Wednesday, but a great dealer!

The wife has been itching for a road trip, even just a day ride. Wednesday, we headed out for lunch at the beach, about 150 miles from home. We were traveling on CA58 west of Bakersfield at 10:30AM, passing near a neighborhood that is located in an agricultural area, following along with traffic in no big hurry. A medium large dog (50 lbs or so) came across the highway to chase me (the lead bike) and then came back directly in my wife's path. She braked hard and broadsided the dog. Her 2010 Street Glide launched her clear and both of them tumbled down the two lane highway. She rolled like a pencil and ended up in the weeds on the right shoulder, the bike came to rest another 50+' west on the same shoulder - having bounced around on both sides.

I had seen it all in my mirrors. Once my mind processed the drama, I made a hasty U-turn and rode back to her. She was motionless, and as I walked over, she clearly stated "I think I'm OK." I had her remain still, and a couple of people stopped to offer assistance. Got the 911 call made, and did a quick exam to make sure she wasn't bleeding severely. Thanked the guys who stopped and sent them on, as we were safely off the road and help was on the way. Called the dealership in Bakersfield and asked the owner to send the truck for the wreckage. Two fire trucks arrived, then a CHP cruiser, then an ambulance and another CHP. Paramedics confirmed my initial exam - nothing life-threatening, but possible broken bones. The wife agreed that a trip to the hospital was in order, so they loaded her up and headed to town.

I spent another 5 minutes or so with the CHP officers, completing their questions and allowing my body to ease down off the adrenaline rush. Two animal control units arrived for the dead dog. One of the CHP officers offered to stay with the wreckage until the dealer arrived, so I started toward town. The dealer's truck passed me half a mile down the road, so I went back and asked the guys to pull the distorted saddlebag and put it in the cab.

At the hospital, the usual paperwork and tests. Nothing broken, just scrapes and bruises, figured about two hours to release her. I rode home to Keene and got her SUV to get her home. I was almost back to the hospital when she called to see when I'd be there, as she was about to get discharged. That proved optimistic, as her blood pressure was falling and sitting up made her woozy....so she had to stay and get a unit of saline. That perked her up, so they released her about 4:30PM. She wanted to go see how bad the bike was, so we did.

When we got to the service department, they told us that the saddlebag had stunk up the cab. They investigated, and discovered the mud down the left side of the bike was actually the contents of the dog's bowels... yep, she knocked the crap out of him. They had also discovered that the damage was severe - even broke the frame. If it's painted or chromed, it's scratched or dented. Insurance will probably total it.

The wife truly loved that bike, especially the Merlo/Cherry Red scheme on it, but she is so thankful to have survived with relatively minor injuries that the loss of the bike is insignificant. She's decided to wait a couple weeks to see what the new paint schemes look like, then will probably get a Limited Low and make the tourpack removable. She wants to have another CB like we had on her Street Glide, and whatever she gets will have ABS.

This will be our 9th HD, and the seven new ones we've owned all came from Bakersfield HD. They treat us very well there, and their rapid response, caring manner, concern and compassion during this event has been truly wonderful. They even give us exceptional deals, so I won't be bothering to shop around on this one.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:37 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,284 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Glad your wife is doing well and looking forward to riding again.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:42 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

You had me on the edge of my chair reading the recount of events. I'm so happy to hear that your wife is ok. She had an angel on her shoulder. My best wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery. Hug each other a little tighter tonight.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:44 PM
roadglider1
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What a trooper you have for a wife. Hope she is doing well and thinking
about her soon to be new ride.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:22 PM
BigJ37
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad she is ok and man yea she is tough. Glad to see her ready to get back on a bike again though.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:32 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Very happy to hear she is okay. Scary stuff right there. Darn critters are worse that texting drivers. Don't they know to only cross the road when there is a sign for them??

Old 08-15-2015, 12:01 AM
katanaplanet
Banned
Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Glad she is OK. Hope all goes well.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:26 AM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickr01
She had an angel on her shoulder.
She was praying while rolling: "Lord, please let me be OK". Her "I think I'm OK" as I walked up was as much a praise as a statement. Looking at the damage to the bike and the minor injuries she suffered is a testament in itself. She's already feeling better.

Glory to God.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:39 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Glad your wife is OK. She might feel some new injuries in the morning. Did you find out whose dog it was?
Was your wife wearing a helmet and jacket, or was she just lucky? Or tougher than nails?

Old 08-15-2015, 04:53 AM
westnash
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad it turned out well. If the late dog was wearing a collar, is the owner legally responsible for the damages?

Quick Reply: Rough day Wednesday, but a great dealer!