Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wondering if the wet heads are really any cooler??

Old 08-15-2015, 08:32 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Wondering if the wet heads are really any cooler??

Last October I traded my 2010 SE 110" Ultra in on a 2014 SE Limited also with the 110" engine. So in the 2010 I had removed the cat, installed the Ward cooling fans and in any hot weather the rear cylinder EITMS never cut out at idle.

So on my 2014, I removed the cat, installed the Ward cooling fans and at any temp 80 or above the rear piston is forever cutting out. Now I did have a PCV fuel management on the 10 and I have not yet put one on the 14. But dang, the 14 has water cooled heads yet the rear cylinder cuts out?

Could the sensor be different enough to enable the cut off at a cooler temp? I just can't figure out this all. Sure the PCV helped the 10 run a bit cooler but cooler than my wet head engine? And I have checked, the cooling fans on the bikes radiator system are working. Any thoughts??

Old 08-15-2015, 08:59 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

That's normal above 80 degrees and bike has been running more then 4 minutes EITMS kicks in and occasionally it will kick in even below 80 depends on riding conditions. Rear cylinder never gets as hot as my old UC. Difference in head temp is about 70 plus degrees lower compare to air cooled tested with inferred thermometer few times. My Limited with V&H exhaust and FP3 is about 5 to 10 degrees cooler then my wife's stock Limited low.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:03 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

the better controlled combustion chamber temps on the wethead allow for higher compression and more cam...equaling more power.

the rider may experience more or same heat....the air cooling the radiators is going to come at you hot

the eitms comes into play when you are stopped and by pumping air through the rear cylinder ( the hotter cylinder as it doesn;t get as good airflow)- heat is removed from the hottest parts of the motor.
this is a good thing and shouldn;t be confused with a "problem"

idle speed should be between 950 and 1050 rpms to get oil pressure and volume up- oil is also part of the cooling system...full synthetic multigrade like 20w50 will handle high heat without breakdown

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-15-2015 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:18 PM
Shanebo
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by cdestuck
Could the sensor be different enough to enable the cut off at a cooler temp? I just can't figure out this all. Sure the PCV helped the 10 run a bit cooler but cooler than my wet head engine? And I have checked, the cooling fans on the bikes radiator system are working. Any thoughts??
My understanding is that the current EITMS is actuated by a different set of parameters than pre-Rushmore bikes.

While they tend to kick in the EITMS much more often, it's not because the bikes are running hotter at all, it's that run time and ambient temp are in control, not the engine temperature. Older ones relied on engine temp to kick in, ensuring that they were good and hot before any EITMS action.

At least, that's how I've seen it explained on the forum here more than once.

All the best,

Shane

Old 08-15-2015, 09:56 PM
NODYNA
Road Warrior
Received 863 Likes on 511 Posts

Your 14 is running cooler due to the water cooling. On your next ride with non wet heads listen to the exhaust expansion/contraction noises on their bikes. You won't hear anything from yours because the exhaust gases existing the heads are cooler. You also don't need the EITMS on your wet head disable it. I do suggest a stage 1 download or a PCV or tune.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:09 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

As already mentioned, it will come on no matter what when the air temp is 80+ degrees and the bike is at idle.

Turn off EITMS.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:13 PM
atretes1
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cdestuck
Last October I traded my 2010 SE 110" Ultra in on a 2014 SE Limited also with the 110" engine. So in the 2010 I had removed the cat, installed the Ward cooling fans and in any hot weather the rear cylinder EITMS never cut out at idle.

So on my 2014, I removed the cat, installed the Ward cooling fans and at any temp 80 or above the rear piston is forever cutting out. Now I did have a PCV fuel management on the 10 and I have not yet put one on the 14. But dang, the 14 has water cooled heads yet the rear cylinder cuts out?

The Rushmore bikes EITMS is triggerd by the aat sensor check out post 22.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...nt-system.html

Old 08-18-2015, 03:09 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Riding a 88B block in a Heritage Classic, a 96 block in a Ultra 2010 and a 103 TC block in a 2015 Limited and comparing all under the same f..ing hot climate conditions I can only agree that the 103 TC is running MUCH cooler beneath my thighs than the other fully aircooled twins. Although both the 88B as the 96 were equipped with a JAGG oil cooler, the 96 even with a fan assisted oil cooler which made a huge positive impact on the oil temp. But the 103 TC runs definitely MUCH MUCH cooler than the other two..Not only by the water cooled cylinder heads and exhaust manifolds but also stopped for traffic lights due to the fact that the rear cylinder is switched off as combustion (=heat) source..