Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Altering CVO mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 07:14 AM
ultraclassic53
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Altering CVO mufflers

So as a result of chasing down a rattle Im back to running my stock CVO mufflers behind my Rush HO pipes. I likes how quite the are and how it makes it easy to hear music when going down the highway. What I dont like is how it sounds, Something like a sewing machine attached to one pipe and a bubble maker attached to the other. I'm wanting to keep the volume down but get more of that low tone rumble that we all enjoy.
What alterations have people made to CVO pipes that will get me what I'm looking for.
I've seen some comments on the Fullsac baffle inserts. Anybody running the 1.75's and if so how do they sound?
I know that the CVO pipes dont flow as well as the after market stuff. Has anyone tried taking them apart and drilling/cutting/removing any part of one to make them sound and flow better?
If I decide to go with new mufflers what are some goode ones to look at that meet my requirements, a lower tone, and low volume ?
How do Street Cannons compare to stock ?
Thanks

Old 08-17-2015, 07:35 AM
RIGlide09
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have either the 1.75 or 2" on mine (been a few years) but I am leaning towards 1.75. I find it has a quiet idle but opens up nicely for what I want. I can still hear the radio just fine but doesn't sound like a stock exhaust and provides a nice rumble.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:21 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Put 2" Fullsac baffles in my CVO mufflers.Used the screen around baffles and wrapped packing around screen per Fullsac intructions.Been running them over 18 months and sound is deep and mellow.Best part about Fullsac baffles is once you install them it is very easy to change baffles if you don't like the sound of that particular size baffle.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:49 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

yep, another vote for fullsac baffles here. i'm running the 2.0. little louder than stock, but definitely not obnoxiously so.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:47 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a thought. Since you're thinking about replacing the baffles anyway, why not cut out the plug to see how you like them before spending the money on the FS replacement baffles?

Old 08-17-2015, 09:33 PM
ultraclassic53
Road Captain

Great minds almost think alike and I'm lazier than you !
I was thinking about the design of rush baffles that are in their Big Louie's, basically a hollow perforated tub with wrapping packed around it. The bigger the tube the more flow and the louder they are.
Then I looked at my mellow crushers I had laying around . A perforated tube packed with some kind of Brillo pad wire looking stuff, they have the center tube blocked off but about a 3/8 inch hole drilled in the middle of the blocking plate.
Then I looked down the cvo mufflers and they have a blocking plate with no hole in it.
I figured I'd go to lowes and gets a 12 inch long drill bit for 13 buck. Simply stuck it in from the back end of the muffler and drilled a 3/8 inch hole in the plate. The hardest part was the 10 min drive to lowes.
I did a pre and post test. After I drilled the holes it hade a lower tone and only a hair louder. Not as loud as my crusher mellows. Just finished so I'll road test it tomorrow. If its not to my liking I figure I can go up a size on the hole and it should be louder.

Last edited by ultraclassic53; 08-17-2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:26 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ultraclassic53
Great minds almost think alike and I'm lazier than you !
I was thinking about the design of rush baffles that are in their Big Louie's, basically a hollow perforated tub with wrapping packed around it. The bigger the tube the more flow and the louder they are.
Then I looked at my mellow crushers I had laying around . A perforated tube packed with some kind of Brillo pad wire looking stuff, they have the center tube blocked off but about a 3/8 inch hole drilled in the middle of the blocking plate.
Then I looked down the cvo mufflers and they have a blocking plate with no hole in it.
I figured I'd go to lowes and gets a 12 inch long drill bit for 13 buck. Simply stuck it in from the back end of the muffler and drilled a 3/8 inch hole in the plate. The hardest part was the 10 min drive to lowes.
I did a pre and post test. After I drilled the holes it hade a lower tone and only a hair louder. Not as loud as my crusher mellows. Just finished so I'll road test it tomorrow. If its not to my liking I figure I can go up a size on the hole and it should be louder.
I did mine, but had to pull the mufflers off. If you stick a dremel with cutting wheel down in the output end and just rotate/roll it around the inside of the plug, the plug will eventually just drop out the other end and you'll have fully free flowing mufflers. The cut must be just past the plug weld and my dremel stopped at exactly the right depth when I pushed it all the way in the hole. All I had to do was just roll it around the inside until it cut through. Doesn't take long. It took me longer to pull the mufflers off than it dd to cut out the plugs. One of our members posted this technique and it worked really well. Drilling enough holes will probably accomplish the same thing, but the dremel method just allows for a smoother straight through plug removal.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:51 PM
Batwing Bob
Advanced

I have the 2 ins Fulsacs in mine with a 2 into 1 into 2 and I like the sound not too loud but has a deep mellow bark when you get on it, the other thing is they are cheap and easy to replace so you can try different sizes.

Bob

Old 08-18-2015, 09:11 AM
ultraclassic53
Road Captain

Took it for a ride this morning and it sounded pretty good. I think I'm going to leave it with the 3/8 in hole in the plate. It's about half way between stock and my crusher mellows I'm guessing. Has a lower tone and will bark just a little when you get on it. The woman said it sounded pretty good coming up the driveway

Old 01-30-2017, 10:20 PM
SCHRAMBO
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default CVO Touring Muffler Mod-Plug Removal

I recommend "plug removal" as a low cost alternative to an aftermarket exhaust system or baffle replacement.
I purchased a pair of new CVO take-offs for my '16 Limited off e-bay. After researching some threads on the forum I decided to move forward with this mod. I removed the end caps and cut 2.25" off the tail pipes with a chop saw. I drilled out the plug(s) with a 1.25" hole saw on a 10" extension, re-installed the caps and bolted them up. I think they sound really nice. Mellow deep tone at idle with a healthy, throaty bark under the twist of the throttle. I installed these mufflers onto an OEM header pipe with the the cat material removed (ebay $105 - no exchange req.) together with a billet stage 1 heavy breather intake and V&H FP3 tuner. It is my opinion that a fuel management system is paramount when making the intake/exhaust deviation from OEM. I like the look, sound and performance of this set-up. I have some nice rumble without annoying the neighbors and enjoy the audio system at cruising speed. But, if I need to be heard I can make my presence known.
Just my 2 cents........