Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change for my 05 RKC question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 12:24 PM
Cigarmessenger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change for my 05 RKC question

I have always had the dealer do my oil changes but now I realize I can perform this service for about half price. My issue is that I am unable to get down in a prone position (actually I can get down, I can't get back up) . I have a Harbor Freight motorcycle lift I use to lift the bike when I wash it. Can I access the oil pan bolt when the bike is on the lift. If anyone else has this problem how have you resolved it?

Old 08-21-2015, 12:43 PM
Bama J
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Do you have the HF jack, or the lift? I have the jack but I change my oil without jacking it up. I don't think you'd be able to get a pan under it with it on the jack.

If you have the lift, then there shouldn't be any issue. BTW they've got the lift on sale for $296 right now. Plus if you have a 20% coupon that'd bring it down to about $240. That's a steal. So for way less than the price of two dealership oil changes, you can have your own lift.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb...l_s1021_c3415b

Old 08-21-2015, 12:56 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

some lifts will accept a drain pan between the struts so that your oil isn't pouring on the floor

but- limit jack/lift use to what is required.

twice I have had to go to Pal's houses to help lift a bike after it's fallen

1.) low as you can

2.) level clean floor

3.) check the jack is making secure contact with the frame- is BALANCED* and strapped

4.) get help if you need it, but do this when there are no distractions**

* Pal removed both saddlebags & rear wheel with out accounting for balance...the bike was all the way up and nose-dived as he stood there with the wheel in his hands

** Kids ran into garage chasing dog, one of them ran into the back of the bike and spun it off the lift

if this is you first time, go get the oil, oil filter and air filter and new O rings ( which you may not need). LOOK at the manual or online and figure out which plug is which...tranny plug faces down- oil plug faces the front of the bike- it is on the left side ( of the bike, not as you look at it)- a plug is near it on the right side- do not touch this.

I find it easiest to do my fluid changes with the bike on the floor on the jiffy stand- it's just easier

removing the oil filter can be messy.

I line the area under with tinfoil and make a channel which will carry oil to a pan ( afterwards this tinfoil can be wrapped around the filter to catch any oil)
Your local auto parts store will accept used oil and filters for recycling- the filters are crushed and drained.

CAREFUL of the crank sensor, do not whack this with a filter wrench

I bang a drain hole in the end of the filter with a phillips screwdriver down low...and a 2nd up high and allow to drain.
rather than a wrench, I bang the screwdriver in the side of the filter and use that to start screwing it off.

check the gasket surface is clean- no old gasket stuck to it.

smear a little clean oil on the new filter seal then turn it on

all the fluid checks on your bike are visual as in the manual- there are no set absolute capacities
some of us run the oil a pint low to reduce blow by into the air filter

if draining primary, zip tie the clutch cable for a few hours to release the fluid from between the disks- replace with same type fluid.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-21-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:28 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 629 Likes on 455 Posts

Put the bike on the lift/jack whatever and see if you can access the plug. At the same time, see if a pan will fit where it needs to go. No one but you can answer this for certain. Also, I have had my bike since 2008 and have done lots of oil changes in 75,000 miles and ALWAYS get at least a small mess from changing the oil filter. If you have never done this before I guaranty you will also get the filter change mess. If you have mobility problems perhaps a friend could do this for you.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:33 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a jack, but due to experience, I'm with Mike. I've found that it's easier to change it while it's on the jiffy stand. My bike is lowered so I modded a plastic oil pan so it fits under the bike and I made a little "shield" out of an old Simple Green jug that slides under the oil filter to divert the oil away from the regulator and into the pan. Thats about the only mess you will end up with....the oil filter draining. Good luck!!

Old 08-21-2015, 01:49 PM
Bama J
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Under the oil filter, I use one of those flimsy plastic car tags that the dealer put on my truck when I bought it. I shortened it to about 2/3 the length and it works great.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:46 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

With your mobility problem,it might be best to bite the bullet and have a friend do the oil change or take it back to the dealer.Sometimes it pays not to do it yourself.