Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CCE triple tree and Traxxion Cartridges

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 10:35 AM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

hattitude (and others), don't wait! I'm sure Howard's fix will be very nice and likely more than merely marginally better than the CCE route, but the CCE upper tree is a HUGE improvement over OEM. Howard/Ohlin will be $$$$.

I did CCE/RaceTech/Ricor a few years ago for about $1,200 (DIY) and the result was a totally different ride. Night and day better. My one beef is this set-up tends to clunk on rapid extensions (riding off a lip of concrete). It's rare, but it does happen.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:05 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Well done SP, a good read and quickly done as well! There is a 'third way', courtesy of Howard, using Ohlins FKC101 cartridges in a CCE kit which I am investigating at present. Been away from home a lot lately (well it is summer!) and have hit a snag. I have the solution, but not yet finally fixed and built, so more news when I have it cracked. Another member has reported that CCE can now provide their kit ready to take FKC101s.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:50 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by jefla
hattitude (and others), don't wait! I'm sure Howard's fix will be very nice and likely more than merely marginally better than the CCE route.
You haven't a clue , marginally better is not correct , I can assure you they are a huge improvement. I have ridden bikes with Ricors in the front end , Progressive monotubes , Traxxion AK-20's and both sets of Ohlins , the 25mm and 30mm. All were an improvement over stock suspension , the Ricor and Monotubes are a good value for the price , Traxxion were probably 30% better than the Ricor and Monotubes , the 25mm Ohlins were slightly better than the Traxxion , the 30mm Ohlins are in a whole other world , if you don't believe me do a google search and read what the Road Racers have to say about 30mm Ohlins and AK-20's , and then ask guys that have them to compare them for you with others systems they have used.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:57 PM
fullautomike
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Default CCE triple tree and Traxxion Cartridges

I'm going to get either the Traxxion AK20 or Ohlin FCK101's, I should have done this in March, but was hoping Howard's 49mm set up would be available.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:56 PM
skypilot_one
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TJ 316,

Howard is NOT selling the triple trees or does it require a secret handshake get you in? You've got a great "one off" setup, custom built and tuned for you that would cost about $3500.00 not including labor when you factor in the cost of the tubes, sliders, trees, neck bolt and bearings, cartridges, bushings, seals and other parts needed to install a 2014 front end on a 97-13. Oh, and his setup only worked on road glides. I believe due to issues regarding nacelle, light and batwing mounting.

Let's talk about Howard's stuff when it is actually available to the public.

Last edited by skypilot_one; 08-28-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:23 PM
jefla
Road Master

Originally Posted by tj316
You haven't a clue , marginally better is not correct .
tj316, please read my words before telling me I have no clue. I said "likely more than merely marginally better." I did not say only "marginally better."

Moreover, your laundry list of tested fork internals did not clearly indicate that the tested front ends also had fork tube clamps on both the upper and lower triple tree sections. In any event, I believe the primary flaw in pre-14 FLs is the super flexy, clampless upper triple section. Would you agree?

Finally, I'm not convinced I need Ducati superbike grade forks on my FL. But I do have a clue that the ~ $1,200 I spent on the CCE fix was worth every penny.

Last edited by jefla; 08-28-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:25 PM
skypilot_one
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you Graham.

Last edited by skypilot_one; 08-31-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:14 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by jefla
tj316, please read my words before telling me I have no clue. I said "likely more than merely marginally better." I did not say only "marginally better."

Moreover, your laundry list of tested fork internals did not clearly indicate that the tested front ends also had fork tube clamps on both the upper and lower triple tree sections. In any event, I believe the primary flaw in pre-14 FLs is the super flexy, clampless upper triple section. Would you agree?

Finally, I'm not convinced I need Ducati superbike grade forks on my FL. But I do have a clue that the ~ $1,200 I spent on the CCE fix was worth every penny.
Hi, how is it going? Just give me a ring or just drop me a line. I will send you an e-Mail of several people who have had all of the above on their own bikes and posts in other forums of there results. It is not proper to post a link to another chat site. You can read where people write when they actually know what they are taking about because they have done it. You are my customer and I hope the best for you. You got my number & e-Mail. PS: How did you buy the CCE fix and the Traxxion Cartridges for $1,200?

Old 08-28-2015, 07:36 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

Sky pilot and jefla , You both are not correct , first the triple trees were fitted on bat wings and road kings first , the road glide was the last bike he adjusted the triple trees to fit , next the tube clamp is only part of the problem , fork flex is another part of it and your 41mm forks will still flex considerably more than a 49mm fork , and the statement you don't need Ducati grade forks for an Fl I disagree with too , my opinion is you should put the best suspension on your bike both front and rear that your wallet can afford , a smooth ride will be a side benefit but the the true benefit will be better traction and control that may save your life one day , I have seen many bikes over the years crash because the suspension couldn't handle the conditions and most the time the rider had no clue what had caused them to crash

Old 08-28-2015, 10:23 PM
jefla
Road Master

Originally Posted by FastHarley
PS: How did you buy the CCE fix and the Traxxion Cartridges for $1,200?
Fine, thanks. Didn't say I bought CCE and Trax Cartridges. Said CCE, Race Tech springs and Ricor valves for "about $1,200." Still have that damn oem tube.

Last edited by jefla; 08-28-2015 at 10:26 PM.

Quick Reply: CCE triple tree and Traxxion Cartridges