Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police Road King - Civilianization

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 07:13 PM
richiep
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Police Road King - Civilianization

OK, all you guys with Police Bikes......weigh in. I'm foaming at the mouthawaiting the delivery of my 2005 Police Road King (hopefully within a week) and I'm trying to plan out what I'm going to be doing with the bike.

Eventually I'll probably paint it, change out the seat and put on some chrome, but immediately in the short termI just want to civilianize it and ride..................................A couple of things I'll wantto address immediately:

1) Retain the stock horn set-up, removethe police siren, adda loud horn, maybe mount iton the crash bar where the sirenwas, hopefully use the siren's wiring & handlbar switch.

2)Make the flashing pursuit lights into running lights,hopefully use the pursuit switch on the handlebars to turn them on and off (the seller removed the pursuit flasher).

3) Remove the rear radio bracket and relocate theair canister for the seat into one of the saddlebags.

Anybody tackle these items? What / How did you do it?

Old 05-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Police Road King - Civilianization

You didn't ask, but the very FIRST thing to do is buy the 2005 HD Touring Models Service Manual and the 2005 HD Police Models Service Manual supplement. The mods you want to do, and many, many of the ones I have done since purchasing an '04 police model EG required knowledge of the bike's wiring. The police manual doesn't have much in it (confirming there is not much difference between the police and civilian bikes), but it does have very complete wiring diagrams which you will want when doing the kinds of things you are contemplating.

The civilian service manual will help you with all of the mechanical stuff, and also show you how (if you further civilianize the bike) to do it the way the civilian bikes are set up.

For example, you can remove the radio rack by first removing the black tray; then the air cannister; then the chrome strut covers which exposes the front attachment bolts for the chrome rack the radio plate is attached to. Removing the air cannister from the black radio plate is self-evident (two screws if I recall correctly).

But do yourself a favor, buy the manuals. You can get them 20% off from Zanotti's.com, a very popular and reliable HD dealer who sells a lot of stuff; also try Chicago HD, another 20% off list dealer.

Good luck with your new bike. I have put 40K on mine in the past two years and it's been a great bike.

The following users liked this post:
Chuck612 (06-03-2019)
Old 05-02-2007, 10:03 PM
mjh
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: richiep

OK, all you guys with Police Bikes......weigh in. I'm foaming at the mouthawaiting the delivery of my 2005 Police Road King (hopefully within a week) and I'm trying to plan out what I'm going to be doing with the bike.

Eventually I'll probably paint it, change out the seat and put on some chrome, but immediately in the short termI just want to civilianize it and ride..................................A couple of things I'll wantto address immediately:

1) Retain the stock horn set-up, removethe police siren, adda loud horn, maybe mount iton the crash bar where the sirenwas, hopefully use the siren's wiring & handlbar switch.

2)Make the flashing pursuit lights into running lights,hopefully use the pursuit switch on the handlebars to turn them on and off (the seller removed the pursuit flasher).

3) Remove the rear radio bracket and relocate theair canister for the seat into one of the saddlebags.

Anybody tackle these items? What / How did you do it?
Congrats on the Police bike. I have an 04 RKPolice that saw duty as a San Diego Sherrif's bike.
1. as mentioned - get the manuals, they are key to understanding the bike, especially if you want to do the work yourself.
2. does your bike acutally have the siren? that's cool.my bike had all the police 'stuff' removed prior to sale.San Diego Harley rewiredthe horn to the siren switch which is the red switch at the bottom of the left switch housing. the standard horn switch does nothing. i like this arrangement, it's easier to tab thesiren switch than the stock horn switch. hopefully, the wiring diagrams can help in this rewire. if not, maybe a call to a dealer that services the local agency bikes would help. does you bike have the parade fan? that is located where a stock road king has the horn. mine came with the fan and the horn is movedup to the neck on the left side just forward of the tank. if you don't want the siren, i would take it off your hands.
3. the lenses on my pursuit lamps are clear, the blue and red andnot allowed on civilian bikes. SD Harley rewired the pursuit lamps to function as passing lamps and are switched at the redsliding switch on the low side of the right switch housing. again, tracing the wiring on the diagram would be the best way to track it down.
4.i removed the radio deck and the chrome rail. i relocated the seat air can to the right saddle bag. i used velcro on the canister and the inside of the bag to keep it in place. i cut a very small slot in the top edge of the saddle bag for the small black air line to "snap" into. cut the slot with a small thin blade hacksaw ora small thin bladexacto saw and open a small hole at the bottom of theslot. the air line will just snap in place. it works fine. when i clean bags or service bike i just remove air can from bags and temporarily tape it to seat or fender.
5.keep you air seat. they are a great ride. i added a passenger seat and back rest/rack for my wife and it works great. i also added a back rest to thepolice seat. i posted aphoto of the bracket on another thread and will try to find it and re-post.
6. it came with the run flat tires, i changed them out to dunlops with small white walls and the hd 9 spoke chrome wheels and polished rotors. it looks nice, i think.
7. i changed air cleaner to ness big sucker and pipes to v&h true duals big shots and pcIII. it adds great power and the sound is perfect.
8. is yours black and white or all one color? mine is black and white and when i wear my black and white half helmet no body will pass me and they move out of the fast lane when i come up behind them.

see photo of my bike, i hope this photo thing works.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21261/374219C16B154FC0A07084E3E2AC58FF.jp

Chuck612 (06-03-2019)
Old 05-02-2007, 10:10 PM
mjh
Tourer

richiep:
check out the thread titled "? changing to a police seat" that is where i have a picture of the bracket welded to "t" frame for rider back rest.

ride safe and keep the shiney side up.

mjh

Old 05-02-2007, 11:03 PM
richiep
Intermediate

Thanks Guys, I just ordered the manuals. The Police bike I'm getting is from the Orlando,FL Police dept. It's all white, so it will be a great blank canvas for me to customize.

Mine actually has the normal Harley horn as well as the police siren. Thet're removing the siren before they ship out the bike, so I won't be getting it. I hope they just leave the wiring in place so i can use it for an aftermarket horn.

Talk to you soon.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:23 AM
sportyrider1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine originally came came from Ft Lauderdale pd. the dealer removed the cop stuff and hooked the horn to the siren switch once I got it home I added the mustang seats rear floorboard and other goodies

Chuck612 (06-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2007, 02:30 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

There will probably be a gray Deutsch connector zip tied tothe right side of the frame just above the engine guard. This is the connector for the siren wiring that HD installs from the factory. The siren on my '04 EG police model was removed but the plug was left there.

Also, check your headlamp; it may have a strobe light inside. The police use large capacity, multi-appliance power supplies for their radios, sirens, strobes, radar, etc. all of which is usually removed and re-used. However, if the strobe is in the headlamp, you can get an inexpensive power supply from squadfitters.com (a police motorcycle outfitter in Urbana, Il) for $50. I did and installed a rocker switch on the fairing cap for on/off--very handy that strobe light.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:16 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I do not have a police bike, but would not hesitate to buy one in the future. I would keep the stock seat, as it is the most comfortable (I hear) seat you can have on a Harley. You can buy a passenger pillon from Mustang seats, that will match the air seat. Also, first thing I would do is check the tires. If they are the run flat tires and you ever want to carry a passenger, you will need to change them. The run flat tires are NOT rated for a passenger. Just a FYI. Also, is yours equiped with the ABS? It was an option starting with the '05's. I wish I had ABS. To be honest, I am a lil jealous of you. What a great starting point to customize you have.[>:]Good luck with the bike, and have fun. Be glad you found this forum, there is a TON of good info here, and a great group of people to get ideas and any questions you may have answered. WELCOME!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/12433/49527F810FFB4CFDABD9EA75DAC315B5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-03-2007, 08:45 AM
jbhawley
Road Master

My EG police was used by the Raleigh NC PD. This was originally a white bike. Take a look at the pic of the mods i made. Basically an Ultra now.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2462/20333EAF49CC4B57BEA97F80BD0BFC53.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-09-2010, 01:17 PM
SCACHURA1
Stage IV

hi there

I bought a 2005 Ploice Road King last May & I love it.
No one has been able to answer me on the horn issue but I got some good advice here today.
I will try to hook to the sirene dorschue plug ziptied to the right side above the crashbar...
Mine came with the red & blue flashers on the auxilliary light bar. I replaced them with clear road lamps. I will sell the red & blue bulbs if there are any takers here.
My horn is good but doesnt work. It has been disconnected some how when sirene was removed. I still have the rider air seat but replaced it with what I think they call a two up sundowner seat 300.00 from H.D. bought a used rider back rest & a passenger back rest & floor boards...
NOTE * Passengers right foot gets very hot from exaust...
I will be looking at that horn issue again this evening & will look into ordering the police bike book mentioned here.... for wiring diagrams....
I left the blue lights on back they do not flash just serve as running lights...
Whats the deal on the run-flat tires? I have one on the rear & carry a passenger. My Harley dealer didnt know about passenger issue? fill me in. Got me spooked now.
tried to post pics... ??

thanks for info...
scachura1

Attached Thumbnails  Police Road King - Civilianization-100_6394.jpg    Police Road King - Civilianization-100_5768.jpg    Police Road King - Civilianization-100_6398.jpg  

Quick Reply: Police Road King - Civilianization