Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inner Primary Warped?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 06:15 PM
x2tpd
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Inner Primary Warped?

I was wondering if anyone has heard of this? My 2007 RK had a small leak. The dealership replaced the inner and out primary and returned the bike to me. I discovered that the problem was still happening and the leak was with the jackshaft seal. The dealership fixed that problem and the leak was down to a drop. I brought it to the dealer and now they are saying that the heat warped the inner primary which was chrome plated. They are claiming that chrome plating causes things to warp "after a while." The part is about 5-6 years old. Has anyone heard of this before?

Old 08-26-2015, 06:25 PM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In a word...... NO

If it cracked or something like that who knows but warped? maybe they dropped it and damaged the sealing surface..... Who knows..... Find a more reputable dealer

RUN FOREST RUN!!!!!.......

Old 08-26-2015, 06:25 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Not sure sounds like dealer BS had the chrome inner primary on my 07 UC rode the crap out of it traded in at 98K miles still ran very strong no leak period.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:44 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

Got a chrome one on my 04. Been on there since 06, off and on half a dozen times due to various issues as I have 170k on the clock.

No leaks, never had a problem. sounds like BS to me

Old 08-26-2015, 10:09 PM
SR90
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by x2tpd
I was wondering if anyone has heard of this? My 2007 RK had a small leak. The dealership replaced the inner and out primary and returned the bike to me. I discovered that the problem was still happening and the leak was with the jackshaft seal. The dealership fixed that problem and the leak was down to a drop. I brought it to the dealer and now they are saying that the heat warped the inner primary which was chrome plated. They are claiming that chrome plating causes things to warp "after a while." The part is about 5-6 years old. Has anyone heard of this before?
So where is it leaking from this time, the jackshaft seal or the primary? You can use different colored fluids in the primary and tranny to know for sure.

I would be blaming a crappy gasket, torque specs, etc before chrome plating.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:21 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

you can check for a warped case by laying on a sheet of plate glass ( Like the coffee table)...poke at the edges with a feeler gauge.
an improperly torqued case can warp- as can a crap casting- case warping is rare for the twin cam era Harleys. aftermarket who knows- that's a crap shoot.

the twin cam gasket which superceded the old paper gasket does not seal as well on questionable ( or evo) cases
the old evo paper style gasket is for sale across the street at the indy shop, go get one.
that'll seal the edges

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-27-2015 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:55 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Just a thought.Is the transmission over full? Check trans breather tube for wetness.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:25 PM
x2tpd
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default And the Saga continues

OK.. so the word the word this morning was that they put different colored fluids in and the leak is from the inner primary. It only leaks when its hot. Which further makes no sense. If the part is warped why would it hold fluid when it is cold. I may be missing something. They are going to take it all a part again and try to redo all the seals. We have used this dealer for years and years. Thanks for all the information I will be passing it along before I buy a new inner primary.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:54 AM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
you can check for a warped case by laying on a sheet of plate glass ( Like the coffee table)...poke at the edges with a feeler gauge.
an improperly torqued case can warp- as can a crap casting- case warping is rare for the twin cam era Harleys. aftermarket who knows- that's a crap shoot.

the twin cam gasket which superceded the old paper gasket does not seal as well on questionable ( or evo) cases
the old evo paper style gasket is for sale across the street at the indy shop, go get one.
that'll seal the edges

mike
You can repair (lap) a "crap casting" on a sheet of plate glass if you have very fine emery paper and a few drops of motor oil to avoid grooving of the repaired surface.