Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 07:01 AM
BOSOXFan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery

2013 Street Glide
So on the way home my battery light and engine light came on. I know the battery has been going out but I have ben putting it off as hey are about 250 bucks here in Italy. Could that be why the light is on? I have not keep in on the tender for a few days......

When the light came on I looked at the voltage gauge and it showed about 12. Atone point it climbed fast to above 14 then back to 12.....

Old 08-28-2015, 07:55 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by BOSOXFan
2013 Street Glide
So on the way home my battery light and engine light came on. I know the battery has been going out but I have ben putting it off as hey are about 250 bucks here in Italy. Could that be why the light is on? I have not keep in on the tender for a few days......

When the light came on I looked at the voltage gauge and it showed about 12. Atone point it climbed fast to above 14 then back to 12.....
If you're only getting 12V while the bike is running, then you have a problem with the charging system. Most likely an intermittent voltage regulator.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:05 AM
rusty289
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Yep, bike running you should always be showing 14.2 - 14.5 volts at the battery.

Battery should last longer than 2 years if it's looked after properly.

I'd say you need to look at the charging system, most likely the regulator. There are tests to check the output from the alternator/generator whatever they are. Lol

Old 08-28-2015, 08:32 AM
BOSOXFan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DAMN it. I was afraid of that!!! How hard is the voltage regulator to change?

Old 08-28-2015, 09:03 AM
rusty289
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

DAMN it. I was afraid of that!!! How hard is the voltage regulator to change?
Regulator is easy, it's the black box with cooling fins on it that sits in front of the engine down low behind the front fender.

Should just be a couple of screws to remove it and a plug.

Real easy.

If you have issues with the alternator/generator that's a different story.

Primary needs to come apart, it's located behind the crank pulley so that's a bit of a job.

I believe there is a test you can perform to check the output from the alternator/generator. Not sure what the voltage should be but if you have it then it's good and you need the regulator.

Question, what does your voltmeter read on the dash? Or is that where you got your readings from?

Old 08-28-2015, 09:17 AM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

2013 Street Glide

=================================

Voltage going from 12 to 14 back to 12v isnt a battery starting to go bad,thats an issue with the voltmeter , bad connection @ the battery or someplace in the charging system ,or something is wrong with charging system itself (volt reg / stator).

And also keep in mind if its an issue with the charging system it slef or bad connection in the charging system those issues can be why the battery may be low charge at times seeming to be weak & going bad because charging system isnt charging properly.

And typically the original HD maint free agm battery last 4-5 yrs on avg and even longer on some cases so your battery may not be going bad just yet, but it may need a good deep / full charge at this time because charging system isnt working properly not keeing the battery properly / fully charged at all times.

Since you said voltage meter shows voltage jumping from 12v to 14v back and forth at times it seems you could have a bad connection on the 2 connectors going to the volt reg and or maybe at the battery or cables to starter and ground too.

Could even be a bad / loose connection on the voltmeter itself too,easy chk there is to run motor with seat off and test voltage at battery vs voltage showing in voltmeter in faring.

Voltage should be approx 14-14.5 @ approx 2500rpm and roughly 13.2-13.5volts + - @ idle and compare the at battery volt readings @ idle & 2500rpm with the voltmeter reading in the faring at same time to see if they are very close if not the same which would show v-meter in faring is good or not.

If that all checks out ok and bike is still showing 12v at times when its running then its time to test / diagnose the volt reg and or stator to see which 1 or both are NG / defective.

If for some reason you end up needing a new battery here are some sources for same type amg maint free factory activated batteries as came new with your HD that i bet you could still save money on inc S&H all the way to Italy vs $250 for battery in Italy in links pasted below for you to check out.

And these replacement batteries are more powerfull then stock thats 385CCA , these batteries are 400cca , 500cca & 600cca.

Good luck.

scott

See links below for details.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deka-ETX30L-...item1c573cfe0f

http://powersportbatteries.com/more-...nk-etx30l.html

http://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Cra...L-Battery.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121429861963

Last edited by wscott; 08-28-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:28 AM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

[QUOTE=rusty289;14342985]Regulator is easy, it's the black box with cooling fins on it that sits in front of the engine down low behind the front fender.

Should just be a couple of screws to remove it and a plug.

Real easy.

If you have issues with the alternator/generator that's a different story.

Primary needs to come apart, it's located behind the crank pulley so that's a bit of a job.

I believe there is a test you can perform to check the output from the alternator/generator. Not sure what the voltage should be but if you have it then it's good and you need the regulator.

========================================

" Question, what does your voltmeter read on the dash? "

This is what he / OP said about voltage reading:

" it showed about 12. Atone point it climbed fast to above 14 then back to 12....."

Old 08-28-2015, 01:01 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.techbatterysolutions.com

Deka for my 06 91.99 shipped !
I do need another battery but I may try to get by until spring and yes on all the above. Seems like a faulty regulator or gauge .