Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mean City Cycles - fantastic seat mod results!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 11:28 AM
Ytcoinshooter
Club Member
Received 286 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Mean City Cycles - fantastic seat mod results!

Mean City Cycles
I've had my modified seat for a little more than a week now and I'm impressed. I'm am so happy I did not lower my Ultra. I was learning to get along (finessing very carefully) with the stock seat and thick soles, but with a 29" inseam and two hip replacements I really wanted more secure footing for stops and moving it's 900+ lbs around. At the suggestion of MCC I picked up a 2010 - 2013 seat with the "LOW" embossed under the pan. These can be modded more than my '09 seat if needed. Trying it out first I found it was an improvement over stock by almost 1" but still far too wide in the nose. Then I sent it out for modding and I'm blown away by the difference. I asked for specifics and they delivered via the Super Narrow mod. I wanted all day comfort and so far I've been fine for a few hours at a stretch and this seat is beautiful in the workmanship. I've logged some time in it including a couple of 200 mile runs in 3 hours time...cranking along. There were no sore spots so I think I'd be good for much longer days / miles.
The difference is dramatic and I ought to measure the new "height". I've checked out the Ultra Low tourers HD offers and need to measure mine to compare, just for the heck of it. I'm aware of the changes HD made to archive that lower stance. I feel in command as I should be and none of my clearance for turns has been compromised from stock. I really feel like I'm piloting the Ultra from a cockpit instead of being perched up like some add-on ornament. The floorboards are now "higher" and I'm adjusting to that with prosthetic hips. I do shift my legs around between highway pegs and boards because of the way my hip flexors can stiffen, but my butt is comfy. My shorter than stock smoked windshield seems like a tall windshield now, forced to look through it. If I go to a 4" to 6" windshield I'll be able to look over once again. The seat is really deceiving looking, low profile for the driver but the multi density foam they use really is good on comfort, no complaints so far and I don't have much natural padding of my own. I wanted a gel piece worked in but they steered me away from that within this modification. I had gel in my old travelcade (saddlemen now) seat on my old GL1200 and loved it but that was a whole different configuration.
Happy now I sit in the bike, not on it. Anyone who thinks lowering is the answer needs to leave the suspension height alone and try this first. Last note is the nose of the seat is shorter too but just manages to hides the gap where the chrome dash trim ends on the tank and the frame. More of my side covers (top) are exposed too with the super narrow modification.
Thanks Mean City Cycles and this forum for bringing this custom work to my attention. Their friendliness and service are top notch. My seat was scheduled for 8/17 and I had it back on 8/19 late in the afternoon via FedEx. I live in CT.
My only regret is they were out of the large T-shirt I ordered. I'd be happy to tell of my great experience / results to others.

Last edited by Ytcoinshooter; 08-29-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:47 PM
WG Gabe
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im interested in this mod, post pics when you get a chance

Old 08-29-2015, 04:45 PM
Ytcoinshooter
Club Member
Received 286 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Pics of the mod

Old seat:

New seat, notice how much more frame and side cover area is exposed.

More pics of super narrow mod.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:41 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I think I'm going to do this after Xmas. Have memory foam installed an the seat lowered, maybe moved back a tad. You've got me thinking it's better to send in my seat than to sho around for another one.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:48 PM
2heritagespringers
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had MCC do my Badlander Seat(for solo mode) and my stock seat for my 07 Ultra. They do awesome work. Very happy with both seats. Highly recommend them!

Old 08-30-2015, 09:48 PM
RumRunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Did the same thing with my seat. My 2010 didn't come with the LOW seat, so purchased one for a good discount from the dealer as it was a running change just after mine was built. MCC did the lowering, moved back an inch and memory foam. Also had the memory foam in the passenger part of the seat.

I also had them do the flame stitching on the seat cover.

Attached Thumbnails Mean City Cycles - fantastic seat mod results!-seat_mcc.jpg   Mean City Cycles - fantastic seat mod results!-seat_mcc_backrest.jpg  
Old 08-31-2015, 01:22 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by langwilliams
I think I'm going to do this after Xmas. Have memory foam installed an the seat lowered, maybe moved back a tad. You've got me thinking it's better to send in my seat than to sho around for another one.
I have a MCC seat from a 14 Ultra Classic lowered 3"s and back an 1" with memory foam I am considering selling. I have no complaints with the seat at all did great on a 1025 mile round trip, I just like the sundowner more. I haven't posted in the classifieds yet if you are interested pm me..

MCC is a great company with great service and a quick turnaround, I would recommend them for seat mods also.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:40 AM
StonerGlide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alan did my Tall Boy seat a few years back now and it just keeps getting better. Shaved, narrowed cut back and filled up with memory foam (double front for me and single for the OL.
Caught him down at Thunder Beach, in and out of the trailer in 1 hour and 47 minutes.
Thinking about sending him my stock seat just to see if he can do even better.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:13 PM
theCoach
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ytcoinshooter
Mean City Cycles
I've had my modified seat for a little more than a week now and I'm impressed. I'm am so happy I did not lower my Ultra. I was learning to get along (finessing very carefully) with the stock seat and thick soles, but with a 29" inseam and two hip replacements I really wanted more secure footing for stops and moving it's 900+ lbs around. At the suggestion of MCC I picked up a 2010 - 2013 seat with the "LOW" embossed under the pan. These can be modded more than my '09 seat if needed. Trying it out first I found it was an improvement over stock by almost 1" but still far too wide in the nose. Then I sent it out for modding and I'm blown away by the difference. I asked for specifics and they delivered via the Super Narrow mod. I wanted all day comfort and so far I've been fine for a few hours at a stretch and this seat is beautiful in the workmanship. I've logged some time in it including a couple of 200 mile runs in 3 hours time...cranking along. There were no sore spots so I think I'd be good for much longer days / miles.
The difference is dramatic and I ought to measure the new "height". I've checked out the Ultra Low tourers HD offers and need to measure mine to compare, just for the heck of it. I'm aware of the changes HD made to archive that lower stance. I feel in command as I should be and none of my clearance for turns has been compromised from stock. I really feel like I'm piloting the Ultra from a cockpit instead of being perched up like some add-on ornament. The floorboards are now "higher" and I'm adjusting to that with prosthetic hips. I do shift my legs around between highway pegs and boards because of the way my hip flexors can stiffen, but my butt is comfy. My shorter than stock smoked windshield seems like a tall windshield now, forced to look through it. If I go to a 4" to 6" windshield I'll be able to look over once again. The seat is really deceiving looking, low profile for the driver but the multi density foam they use really is good on comfort, no complaints so far and I don't have much natural padding of my own. I wanted a gel piece worked in but they steered me away from that within this modification. I had gel in my old travelcade (saddlemen now) seat on my old GL1200 and loved it but that was a whole different configuration.
Happy now I sit in the bike, not on it. Anyone who thinks lowering is the answer needs to leave the suspension height alone and try this first. Last note is the nose of the seat is shorter too but just manages to hides the gap where the chrome dash trim ends on the tank and the frame. More of my side covers (top) are exposed too with the super narrow modification.
Thanks Mean City Cycles and this forum for bringing this custom work to my attention. Their friendliness and service are top notch. My seat was scheduled for 8/17 and I had it back on 8/19 late in the afternoon via FedEx. I live in CT.
My only regret is they were out of the large T-shirt I ordered. I'd be happy to tell of my great experience / results to others.
I have the same seat, got Allan to lower it 2" and move back 2", couldn't be happier. Allan does great work!

Old 09-03-2015, 12:38 PM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 357 Likes on 252 Posts

Where did ya get the seat, and how much ya pay?

I've been looking in the classified for one, but can't seem to get the price I want to pay.