Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First bagger purchase..could use some advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 12:47 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by mikelikesbikes
... I will be waiting until winter....

In some parts of the country we are waiting for our full riding season to return. The dealers will get busier

Mike

Old 08-30-2015, 12:51 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Switched to Road Glides while back on my 5th one now a 2016 RGU. Would not considering going back to a bat wing.
If you ride a lot the RG or RGU offers advantages.
The RG and RGU are different bikes in the way they sit and ride. I never had an issue with the pre 2014 faring but the new one is great. Made a fair deal on the new RGU 28 August.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:27 PM
Second Wind
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a 2015 RG Custom and absolutely love it, but when I pulled out of the dealer next to a friend on his Street Glide right after purchase I wasn't so sure I made the right decision. Its about a mile ride to a 4 lane Highway from dealer, after hitting the highway it only took about 2 miles a 55 mph that I knew I made the right decision and have had no regrets since. I like the look of the 2015 RG's, if they hadn't had the style change I would be on a 2015 SG... To each his own I guess.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:33 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Oh hell they're both ugly flip a quarter,,, just joking, really rent one for
twenty four hours, then rent the other for twenty four hours, and make sure
you ride each one in both daylight and dark then you will be equipped to
make the right dissension, because what you see in the day, is not what you
are going to see in the dark. The Street Glide's headlight points to where you
turn the handle bars, and the Road glide's head light points to where the
whole bike is pointed, and for me that is an uneasy feeling.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:43 PM
ew25950
Road Master
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts

I was recently in the same situation as you Vern. Test rode both SG/RG back to back and decided on the SG over the RG. Ultimately I felt more comfortable on the SG and I could hear the radio better. Another thing that I was unsure about was the infotainment screen angle on the RG. Many complain of visibility in the sun on the RG.

I have no regrets on my choice of SG over RG.

Test ride both back to back (to back if needed) and you will know. Hopefully your dealer will let you take your time on the test rides.

Road glide owners, I see some aftermarket screens for the 2 vents in the fairing available. Are bugs and road debris an issue hitting the rider if the vents are open?

Old 08-30-2015, 06:25 PM
Second Wind
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I have never had an issue with bugs flying in the vents, I guess it could happen but hasn't yet. They have collected in the upper vent when I haven't used it for a while and when I did open it on a hot ride the collected bugs hit the girl I was riding in the face. I thought it was funnier than she did...

Old 08-30-2015, 07:59 PM
HD_fan
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 358 Posts

I like the look of the 2015 RG's, if they hadn't had the style change I would be on a 2015 SG... To each his own I guess.
Me also! I didn't even know what Rushmore was and didn't care. I just saw the new style fairing and I had to have one in denim blk. Now I LOVE all the other Rushmore improvements!

To be honest man if you like the way the SG fairing looks and feel you should buy it. Your $ and you have to look at it.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:06 PM
aspie_keith
Advanced
Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

I just purchased my first bagger the last day of April. I preferred the look of the Street Glide. Sat on the RG and didn't like the way it felt. Sat on the SG and liked the fairing closer to me. Purchased that SG I sat on. Added a bunch of accessories including a Mustang seat, 14 inch chubby bars and a Freedom shield. Turned 5000 miles today including a trip in July that was 2300 miles. I never even test rode it and I LOVE it. Love the batwing and it is super comfortable.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:12 PM
knox_nate
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Test ride them both. I only test rode an Electra Glide my first bagger and bought it. 4 years later I tried a road glide special and have been kicking myself in the butt for not getting a road glide 4 years ago. Totally different feel and ride. The road glide fits me so much better being a taller rider. Handles much better with less rider input as well. That is for me anyway. Everyone needs to find what fits them.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:42 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

You have to test ride at least 30 to 40 miles to decide which one you want for me I like the batwings since day one and won't ride any other.

Quick Reply: First bagger purchase..could use some advice